BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
nckcastello
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Exclamation 2020 x3mc (f97???) newbie help!!!!

Hi all, I just got a 2020 X3M Competition. It would be considered F97?? I am new to the X series so I am unsure. Please correct me.

Few things I wanted to gain input and help with.

#1. Autostart - the vehicle doesn't have it. Any aftermarket autostart you guys got that work well? Without possibly a second key fob? Maybe to activate through the phone app?

#2. Soundsystem is HK but sounds terrible. I am coming from a 2018 M4 coupe sound system also was HK but I felt bass through the body and sounded crisp. My research points to get the speakers replaced and possibly the AMP by using the BAVSOUND? Any advice/input if you already did replace and how is it??? Any better?

#3. I am looking for a dual dashcam, the biggest thing I am looking for is parking sensor detection overnight. My research shows that Blackvue 900 and Nextbase 622gw is the best dash cam systems. One problem I read about is that the main issue is if you hardwire to your car battery it will drain and create sorts of problems with the BMW system giving all sorts of errors. One solution is to use blackvue 900 and an external battery bank such as Celllink Neo battery pack...question is why not use the Blackvue B-124X Power Magic Ultra Battery Pack? Whats the difference between Power Magic Ultra Battery pack and Power Magic Pro Hardwire Kit? If I were to get the Blackvue 900 and purchase the Cellink Neo Battery pack/Power Magic Ultra battery pack from Blackvue would I still need the Power Magic Pro Hardwire kit or not?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Lastly,

I want to know if I can use a program or a chip or whatever to boost extra HP into the car without VOIDing the warranty. I am leasing and I dont want to void any warranty or have the BMW find out it was programmed and what not. Is it possible? if so what is the best?

Also at the same time I have found conflicting numbers of the 0-60 on a stock BMW 2020 X3MC. I have found numbers such as 4.0, 3.6, and even 3.3. If using the program/chip adding 100HP how much faster would it be from 0-60? What is the real number of 0-60 on stock?

Also can you suggest any other things I can buy to improve the car such as gadgets? Like Draggy and what not and is Draggy good investment to buy? or other gadgets where I can program certain things on the car that would make it cooler and what not? For instance I want to have the front and rear camera on at all times while driving whether its 10MPH or 100MPH. Is there such a way to program that?

Lastly, any aftermarket insurance I can get for Tire and Rim protection? The dealer was offering me $2900 I talked it down to 2400 but still was expensive according to one of my friends advice. Can I still get the time and rim insurance after receiving the vehicle after 3 days from the dealership? Valet in NYC already curb scratched my left and right rim and won't fess up to it. Thats why I want to install dash cams

I live in the NYC/NJ area any great well known car mechanics who are reliable and dependable to install some of these things I mentioned above that know their shit and not some shithead going to rip me off and put a hole in my pocket.

Thanks for all the info. I'm a newbie any great information is appreciated greatly.

EDIT: Also, whats the best way to revv it where it sounds loud? Makes the max noise? I feel that coming from the 2018 M4 coupe the revving noise in the X3MC isnt that loud like it was in the M4 Coupe. I would put it all on Sports Plus mode and put it Neurtral and rev it and put it in Park and rev it to 7000 RPM and it doesn't sound anything compared to the M4 sound.

Last edited by nckcastello; 10-18-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I’ll give you a short answer on tuning...

Least likely to be flagged is a piggyback - JB4 or Racechip

More likely to give you more power BUT you will get flagged - Mission Performance or BM3

But these engines are stout so if you go with a simple Stage 1 tune and 93 octane you are extremely unlikely to have an issue.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      10-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #3
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

1. F97
2. autostart aftermarket only as I know cause we have previous multimedia version software. can't suggest anything now cause looking for any recommendations as well.
3. blackvue is the best. don't have it but my buddy has it on all his 3 BMWs for years already and 0 issues.
4. bootmod3 is the way to go but by your own risk. best hp/trq gains for the money. all numbers are different cause smone states records testing non comp/comp/stage1 tune and custom tune with bolt on's. do your own research on this forum, u will find right answers on who is what has on which setup.
5. tire wheels protection package is different on all dealers. from my own experience. Called 3 different dealers and got offered with different prices, some were negotiating very easy but some were fucking stubborn. I got offered when was signing a papers 1600$, I didn't take it, not worth it in my opinion cause again all dealers are different and when I tried to claim that past years from previous bmw it was the freaking investigation, pain in ass for sure, again from my experience. if you have smone who you know at dealer you can get really good discounts. all are varies once again. Good luck with your new ride and welcome to the club!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
nckcastello
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
1. F97
2. autostart aftermarket only as I know cause we have previous multimedia version software. can't suggest anything now cause looking for any recommendations as well.
3. blackvue is the best. don't have it but my buddy has it on all his 3 BMWs for years already and 0 issues.
4. bootmod3 is the way to go but by your own risk. best hp/trq gains for the money. all numbers are different cause smone states records testing non comp/comp/stage1 tune and custom tune with bolt on's. do your own research on this forum, u will find right answers on who is what has on which setup.
5. tire wheels protection package is different on all dealers. from my own experience. Called 3 different dealers and got offered with different prices, some were negotiating very easy but some were fucking stubborn. I got offered when was signing a papers 1600$, I didn't take it, not worth it in my opinion cause again all dealers are different and when I tried to claim that past years from previous bmw it was the freaking investigation, pain in ass for sure, again from my experience. if you have smone who you know at dealer you can get really good discounts. all are varies once again. Good luck with your new ride and welcome to the club!

damn 1600? i'll fkn take it. my boy who said dont get it from dealer who was charging 2900 (2400 after negotiation) he offered it to me for 1800 from a leasing company. Im still getting lowballed then. lol

Thanks I have same color as you exterior and red inside I dont know what color yours is.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
nckcastello
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
I’ll give you a short answer on tuning...

Least likely to be flagged is a piggyback - JB4 or Racechip

More likely to give you more power BUT you will get flagged - Mission Performance or BM3

But these engines are stout so if you go with a simple Stage 1 tune and 93 octane you are extremely unlikely to have an issue.

How does one get flagged? What has to happened? and who does the flagging? Also whats stouts? Stage 1 tune would be JB4? Octane 93 is bascially gas that is super right? I always fill up super at gas stations although never look to see if its 91 or 93 in NJ
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckcastello View Post
Hi all, I just got a 2020 X3M Competition. It would be considered F97?? I am new to the X series so I am unsure. Please correct me.

Few things I wanted to gain input and help with.

#1. Autostart - the vehicle doesn't have it. Any aftermarket autostart you guys got that work well? Without possibly a second key fob? Maybe to activate through the phone app?

#2. Soundsystem is HK but sounds terrible. I am coming from a 2018 M4 coupe sound system also was HK but I felt bass through the body and sounded crisp. My research points to get the speakers replaced and possibly the AMP by using the BAVSOUND? Any advice/input if you already did replace and how is it??? Any better?

#3. I am looking for a dual dashcam, the biggest thing I am looking for is parking sensor detection overnight. My research shows that Blackvue 900 and Nextbase 622gw is the best dash cam systems. One problem I read about is that the main issue is if you hardwire to your car battery it will drain and create sorts of problems with the BMW system giving all sorts of errors. One solution is to use blackvue 900 and an external battery bank such as Celllink Neo battery pack...question is why not use the Blackvue B-124X Power Magic Ultra Battery Pack? Whats the difference between Power Magic Ultra Battery pack and Power Magic Pro Hardwire Kit? If I were to get the Blackvue 900 and purchase the Cellink Neo Battery pack/Power Magic Ultra battery pack from Blackvue would I still need the Power Magic Pro Hardwire kit or not?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Lastly,

I want to know if I can use a program or a chip or whatever to boost extra HP into the car without VOIDing the warranty. I am leasing and I dont want to void any warranty or have the BMW find out it was programmed and what not. Is it possible? if so what is the best?

Also at the same time I have found conflicting numbers of the 0-60 on a stock BMW 2020 X3MC. I have found numbers such as 4.0, 3.6, and even 3.3. If using the program/chip adding 100HP how much faster would it be from 0-60? What is the real number of 0-60 on stock?

Also can you suggest any other things I can buy to improve the car such as gadgets? Like Draggy and what not and is Draggy good investment to buy? or other gadgets where I can program certain things on the car that would make it cooler and what not? For instance I want to have the front and rear camera on at all times while driving whether its 10MPH or 100MPH. Is there such a way to program that?

Lastly, any aftermarket insurance I can get for Tire and Rim protection? The dealer was offering me $2900 I talked it down to 2400 but still was expensive according to one of my friends advice. Can I still get the time and rim insurance after receiving the vehicle after 3 days from the dealership? Valet in NYC already curb scratched my left and right rim and won't fess up to it. Thats why I want to install dash cams

I live in the NYC/NJ area any great well known car mechanics who are reliable and dependable to install some of these things I mentioned above that know their shit and not some shithead going to rip me off and put a hole in my pocket.

Thanks for all the info. I'm a newbie any great information is appreciated greatly.

EDIT: Also, whats the best way to revv it where it sounds loud? Makes the max noise? I feel that coming from the 2018 M4 coupe the revving noise in the X3MC isnt that loud like it was in the M4 Coupe. I would put it all on Sports Plus mode and put it Neurtral and rev it and put it in Park and rev it to 7000 RPM and it doesn't sound anything compared to the M4 sound.
A lot to unpack here, but I'll throw my hat in and recommend a good shop in Fairlawn, NJ. Write to Matt at AutoCouture. Have sent friends there for their X3Ms, and have had them do all of my Bimmer work, including most of what you mention (tunes, dashcams, drivetrain mods, etc.).

Cheers, and congrats!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnishka View Post
1. F97

damn 1600? i'll fkn take it. my boy who said dont get it from dealer who was charging 2900 (2400 after negotiation) he offered it to me for 1800 from a leasing company. Im still getting lowballed then. lol

Thanks I have same color as you exterior and red inside I dont know what color yours is.
that's right, I have black on red too.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
How does one get flagged? What has to happened? and who does the flagging?
BMW now has software that flags tuned cars and puts a marker against them for warranty, can happen when the car is serviced or being worked on if they plug it in to the system.

Or you break it and they go actively looking to get out of paying, if you tune and they find it your engine warranty is gone.
      10-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #9
nckcastello
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
BMW now has software that flags tuned cars and puts a marker against them for warranty, can happen when the car is serviced or being worked on if they plug it in to the system.

Or you break it and they go actively looking to get out of paying, if you tune and they find it your engine warranty is gone.

so what can i do???
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

so what can i do???
Don't tune it.

If you are so fearful of it, move on and don't modify.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7835.00
Transfer5250.00
BMWZ41908.00
      10-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #11
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
How does one get flagged? What has to happened? and who does the flagging? Also whats stouts? Stage 1 tune would be JB4? Octane 93 is bascially gas that is super right? I always fill up super at gas stations although never look to see if its 91 or 93 in NJ
Once they hook up to the OBD2 port with ISTA (BMW software) they scan and will identify the tune.

Piston, rods, crank, etc is all very strong and shouldn’t be an issue with a simple stage 1 tune on 93.

93 is super and you have that in NJ
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #12
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

I am more afraid of twisting the driveshaft than being caught by BMW. In related news, stay away from the MHD tune.
Appreciate 1
RoWoX3M401.00
      10-22-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I am more afraid of twisting the driveshaft than being caught by BMW. In related news, stay away from the MHD tune.
You always drop these nuggets without elaborating. Someone f their driveshaft from a bad tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
You always drop these nuggets without elaborating. Someone f their driveshaft from a bad tune?
yes, at least two people.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #15
CFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:

Repairing a mildly curbed wheel should be well under $200 even in high cost metros and sub $100 most places for quality work. Given that we self insure.
2016 X5 M-sport 50, 2013 M6 AW/Black, 2012 X5M AW/Black, 2011 M3, 2008 335i, 2006 M3, 2008 335i, 2002 M3, 2002 330ci, 1997 M3
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:

Curious - Is this software only flagging engine tunes or would my slight Bimmercode changes (interior lights, etc.) be flagged as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #17
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Comments below:

Quote:

The only Autostart I saw was insanely expensive. I have not seen anyone here with it.

First, try to play with the EQ settings in iDrive. If that isn't enough, you can upgrade to BAVSound speakers and BavSound Ghost Woofers. That setup is pretty good and pretty much the cheapest (although not cheap) direct fit option.

If you're like me and need brain shattering bass, you'll have to do an aftermarket sub and amp. If interested I made a long thread on that.

Don't have much advice but check the GO1/G02 forums. The vehicle is very similar and a ton of guys have done the leg work on dash cams.

Lastly,

As stated, most people like BM3 (Bootmod 3). Though your warranty can be voided. This is what's stopping me.

Also can you suggest any other things I can buy to improve the car such as gadgets?

Get a radar detector.

Lastly, any aftermarket insurance I can get for Tire and Rim protection?

Avoid this like the plague. It is highly unlikely you will get your money's worth. Other than carless drivers (like the valet you mentioned), the wheels are pretty strong and there is a lot of rubber for a 21" (or 20" if you have the non-Comp). You will most likely be replacing tires due to wear much quicker than irreparable damage.

There is an easy way to keep the exhaust flap open which will give you more volume. Involves revving and pulling a fuse - you'll have to search for that. The comp exhaust is better in this regard (loudness) vs the non-comp.

If you're just talking about the engine itself, it is not very impressive sounding.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #18
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Curious - Is this software only flagging engine tunes or would my slight Bimmercode changes (interior lights, etc.) be flagged as well?
Bimmercode gets flagged as well, there a few threads on here regarding it.

Tuning your car is ace I get it but you have to be prepared to stand on if it goes bang I'm not a fan of ripping companies off for the sake of my shits and giggles..

But the bimmercoding stuff is a bit petty from BMW.
      10-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
FWIW, my dealer advised to avoid any kind of changes to vehicle software, citing the default always-on-at-engine-startup setting for the engine Auto Start Stop function as an example. Modifying any aspect of engine management or other software controls is apparently likely to provide potential for conflict in the event of warranty claims which could in any way be considered related by BMW, even if not by the vehicle owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:07 PM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
so what can i do???
Don't tune it unless you are prepared to stand on if it goes wrong.

I'd love to tune mine but I cannot afford to replace a $40k engine, so I won't.