BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #89
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Have you tried the ConfiLife gel seat cushion? It is the #1 best seller at Amazon.
Can't tell if you're trolling or actually recommending it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #90
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
My theory is that BMW spent bulk of their R&D on the powertrain and they certainly nailed that. They wanted to showcase S58 which is going in the new M3. They probably did not spend as much time & $$ on suspension tuning. My guess is it will get remedied on the LCI.
Please take no offense, but your theory is slightly ridiculous. First, BMW expected the F97/F98 to become their most sold M model, so not spending enough time and money on basic things like suspension tuning would be ridiculous to say the least. Second, they already had a highly popular soft-performer SAV in their vehicle lineup, the X3 M40i, so it was clear that X3M would need to target a different group of customers. And third, compared to M40i, BMW also added an M5-derived AWD, M5-derived ZF transmission, multiple chassis braces, retuned bushings, M adaptive dampers, five nose-mounted heat exchangers, and much more. BMW clearly envisioned the X3M to be the true enthusiast's choice.
Appreciate 2
spdandpwr441.00
car_fan381.00
      10-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #91
James Cole
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Please take no offense, but your theory is slightly ridiculous. First, BMW expected the F97/F98 to become their most sold M model, so not spending enough time and money on basic things like suspension tuning would be ridiculous to say the least. Second, they already had a highly popular soft-performer SAV in their vehicle lineup, the X3 M40i, so it was clear that X3M would need to target a different group of customers. And third, compared to M40i, BMW also added an M5-derived AWD, M5-derived ZF transmission, multiple chassis braces, retuned bushings, M adaptive dampers, five nose-mounted heat exchangers, and much more. BMW clearly envisioned the X3M to be the true enthusiast's choice.
Said enthusiast still needs to drive on normal roads w/family.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #92
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Cole View Post
Said enthusiast still needs to drive on normal roads w/family.
I drive on normal roads with my wife, 10 months old son, and our havanese dog. No problems at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #93
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Please take no offense, but do you work for BMW? I ask because you sound like a spokesperson for BMW. I think people on this forum know and acknowledge X3M as a pretty impressive performance SUV. That's not what we're arguing here. We are discussing the harshness of its ride which has been brought up by multiple owners and reviewers. Don't you have the MSS urban kit on yours? So it seems like even you felt the ride needed some improvement. I think the powertrain on X3M is great, suspension wise I think BMW is lagging behind its competitions.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the X3M with your family. That's what's great about a car like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #94
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Please take no offense, but do you work for BMW? I ask because you sound like a spokesperson for BMW. I think people on this forum know and acknowledge X3M as a pretty impressive performance SUV. That's not what we're arguing here. We are discussing the harshness of its ride which has been brought up by multiple owners and reviewers. Don't you have the MSS urban kit on yours? So it seems like even you felt the ride needed some improvement. I think the powertrain on X3M is great, suspension wise I think BMW is lagging behind its competitions.

I'm glad that you're enjoying the X3M with your family. That's what's great about a car like this.
Please take no offense, but I simply discussed your funny “theory” of BMW saving time and money on the X3M suspension. I have the MSS springs because I wanted to lower the car. My first choice was H&R springs but RGSport Ben didn’t have them in stock. I was perfectly happy with the ride quality.

Last edited by AlexFL; 10-17-2020 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      10-17-2020, 06:46 PM   #95
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
Have you tried the ConfiLife gel seat cushion? It is the #1 best seller at Amazon.
:
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #96
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Guys - let's try to keep things civil. That's how solutions are found - an acceptance of varying opinions.
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7836.00
itsmabs180.00
spdandpwr441.00
      10-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #97
Lenny_RDM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolosy View Post
that's next if i decide the a/ss weren't enough!

Too many russians in south beach, i can't handle that
they have many polak deli stores. You will feel at home.
🇵🇱✌🏻
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
kolosy1477.50
      10-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #98
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I've never read so much noise about ride quality for an M car over 20 years of driving them, the comments and experiences are so far removed from my own experience with the X3MC that I can only assume the car has attracted a new breed of owner that haven't that much experience with an M car.

If you wanted a sofa to roll down the streets in there are plenty of other cars to choose from, did no one cross shop a chintzy Merc or sloppy Audi when purchasing?

I get we all have different needs and wants but I don't get how you ended up with a car that has such fundamental flaws regarding those needs and wants.
Agreed. The stock suspension is phenomenally good for the purpose this vehicle was designed. It's exactly what I wanted and would not be driving it if I was concerned about comfort, or if it was softer riding.

To OP, get that X5 M50i you alluded to. That rig is also amazing and certainly more in the realm of what you're going for.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7836.00
kozzi927.00
      10-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #99
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Please take no offense, but I simply discussed your funny “theory” of BMW saving time and money on the X3M suspension. I have the MSS springs because I wanted to lower the car. My first choice was H&R springs but RGSport Ben didn’t have them in stock. I was perfectly happy with the ride quality.
None taken. I am participating in the discussion as someone who is strongly considering X3M to replace X3 M40i, and as someone who's had experience owning various BMW and M models. BMWs including M models are not perfect out of the factory. They cut corners like any other manufacturers and then make incremental improvements over the car's life span based on feedbacks. Some issues never get fixed (e.g. e9x M3 and rod bearing issue). Despite these flaws, I still gravitate towards M cars because they do certain things a lot better than others. In this case, it seems pretty clear all BMW needs to do is make the "comfort" mode a bit more street friendly and distinguishable from sport/sport+.

I understand some here feel that BMW can do no wrong, and that X3M is perfect as is. I am happy for those people, but no need to be dismissive of people who feel differently.

Happy motoring
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      10-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #100
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
so about a month in now, and i hate to admit that it's a bit rough on crappy streets. it's probably better than my f80, but i didn't drive it with the mindset of "i'm in an suv."

so. are there slightly softer springs that don't lower the car? i bought it because i wanted a fast suv that's fun to drive, i'm not taking it on the track, and actually like the ride height, so MSSs are out (since my understanding is that even at full extension they're shorter than OEM).

what else is out there?
Just curious , since you created the thread, have you made any positive improvements ?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:06 AM   #101
kolosy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: over potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Agreed. The stock suspension is phenomenally good for the purpose this vehicle was designed. It's exactly what I wanted and would not be driving it if I was concerned about comfort, or if it was softer riding.

To OP, get that X5 M50i you alluded to. That rig is also amazing and certainly more in the realm of what you're going for.
oh good, another "this car isn't for you" post, complete with the assumption that the poster knows what i'm going for.

i think imma decide that for myself, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Just curious , since you created the thread, have you made any positive improvements ?
Yeah -- I put the MPS A/S on it, and it's definitely helped. I also went driving on some country roads where I could really let her rip, that helped even more

I think I have an M3 problem.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      10-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #102
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I understand some here feel that BMW can do no wrong, and that X3M is perfect as is. I am happy for those people, but no need to be dismissive of people who feel differently.
Happy motoring
Never said that X3M is a perfect car, so cut the passive-aggressive crap. They could have made the X3M look more aggressive, the spare wheel hump is stupid, the HK sound system is mediocre at best, they don't offer full leather interior as option, and no individual exterior colors. There are also some quality issues on some cars, such as paint peeling. However, the firm and sporty ride is not one of the problems, at least in my honest opinion and many X3M owners agree with me.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #103
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post

oh good, another "this car isn't for you" post, complete with the assumption that the poster knows what i'm going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Yeah -- I put the MPS A/S on it, and it's definitely helped. I also went driving on some country roads where I could really let her rip, that helped even more
You mentioned the X5. :
Appreciate 1
kolosy1477.50
      10-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #104
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

One thing my wife noticed also. After 7-8,000 miles it loosens up a bit more. Not as soft as our F90 was, but fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #105
TX3M
Car guy
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
None taken. I am participating in the discussion as someone who is strongly considering X3M to replace X3 M40i, and as someone who's had experience owning various BMW and M models. BMWs including M models are not perfect out of the factory. They cut corners like any other manufacturers and then make incremental improvements over the car's life span based on feedbacks. Some issues never get fixed (e.g. e9x M3 and rod bearing issue). Despite these flaws, I still gravitate towards M cars because they do certain things a lot better than others. In this case, it seems pretty clear all BMW needs to do is make the "comfort" mode a bit more street friendly and distinguishable from sport/sport+.

Happy motoring
I recommend test-driving the X3M extensively before you trade in your X3 M40i to make sure it's the right choice. PM me if you would like to discuss this offline and I'll be happy to share my impressions with you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:30 PM   #106
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

Someone in Russia has recoded the suspension settings. They used settings from vehicles with softer default options. Claims to be much more comfy and left other options (sport/sport +) unchanged.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 09:39 AM   #107
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Someone in Russia has recoded the suspension settings. They used settings from vehicles with softer default options. Claims to be much more comfy and left other options (sport/sport +) unchanged.
I think this is the best solution that BMW could easily do.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #108
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I think this is the best solution that BMW could easily do.
If BMW implements it in a 2021 SW update, it would be possible to retrofit it or use Bimmer code, once the car is updated to the new code.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #109
evo-mike
Captain
Rep

This was a rewrite/tune similar to what MP does for the 2wd option. So not a bmw/dealer option
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 11:50 PM   #110
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
where did you read about this? I'm curios
Appreciate 0