BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
DanTosi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

X3 M40i Turbo Lagging

I am just wondering if anyone else has experiences turbo lag when giving full throttle (regardless of mode although better in sport plus).

I have for the last few weeks noticed that when i give full throttle, it takes a few noticeable seconds to really go.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #2
nick1212
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Gone soon

You should get it checked out...I currently have an F30 340xi and have never had this issue in 3 years
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 01:40 AM   #3
Benandluna
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 m40i

Zero lag here

2016 BSM M235i: Fully loaded.
Dinan Stage II Tune, Dinan CAI, Fabspeed Sport Cat, Fabspeed Muffler Delete.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:08 AM   #4
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I don't think it's turbo lag. I think it's the gear box. Everyone is praising the ZF gearbox but I actually am not thrilled with it. I think it's bmw that was forced to program it to be in the highest gear possible for emission purposes. When you want immediate power then it needs to shift down one or two gears and then you get the push. I find the car much more punchy if you use the paddle shifters or have the gear lever in sport mode. Then there is no lag at all.
Appreciate 4
deladude266.00
Fuller1216.50
LimiX4m40152.50
      01-20-2019, 02:39 AM   #5
edgarchieng
Private
Rep

Can be a few factors, car load (carrying many people or heavy cargo?), outside temperature, aircond mode and driving conditions (speed and gear you're on)

Best thing to do is send it hard in sports plus mode from stand still and if it's lagging then something is wrong, but if it's portraying lagging feel when you're driving at normal speed and suddenly need to accelerate then, the above factors may play a part
Appreciate 1
Rik762131.00
      01-20-2019, 07:46 AM   #6
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
I don't think it's turbo lag. I think it's the gear box. Everyone is praising the ZF gearbox but I actually am not thrilled with it. I think it's bmw that was forced to program it to be in the highest gear possible for emission purposes. When you want immediate power then it needs to shift down one or two gears and then you get the push. I find the car much more punchy if you use the paddle shifters or have the gear lever in sport mode. Then there is no lag at all.
Agreed
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Agreed
Second that!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:56 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
What we have to be aware of with a gearbox using driver and driving situation influenced adaptations, for fastest reactions we may need to "wake it up" in some driving conditions.

An example, we are driving in steady relaxed conditions and we want to make a rapid overtaking manoeuvre. We may not get the fastest response as the gearbox has adapted to the most economical program. Simply moving the shifter across to M/S and back again, can break that adaptation. (Will drop a gear in the process). We now floor the accelerator and instantly the gearbox 'block changes', no hesitation at all. Can be quite brutal.

The shifter manoeuvre illustrates how we can break the current adaptation, see if it changes the gearbox response time.

The OP with 'seconds' before action, that is not normal. Worth trying the shifter manoeuvre say from Drive, ahead of acceleration, see if it changes the feeling of lag.
Appreciate 4
MechX3M40i1006.00
Tchgrif267.50
KRS_SN13552.00
      01-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
What we have to be aware of with a gearbox with driver and driving situation influenced adaptations, for fastest reactions we may need to "wake it up" in some driving situations.

An example, we are driving in steady relaxed conditions and we want to make a rapid overtaking manoeuvre. We may not get the fastest response as the gearbox has adapted to the most economical program. Simply moving the shifter across to M/S and back again, can break that adaptation. (Will drop a gear in the process). We now floor the accelerator and instantly the gearbox 'block changes', no hesitation at all. Can be quite brutal.

The shifter manoeuvre illustrates how we can break the current adaptation, see if it changes the gearbox response time.

The OP with 'seconds' before action, that is not normal. Worth trying the shifter manoeuvre say from Drive, ahead of acceleration, see if it changes the feeling of lag.
Shifting the shifter left to M/S should drop a gear or two right away and change the way the transmission responds. I do this many times when I need o overtake another car at highway speed, and find it quite useful without formally changing the transmission to manual.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      01-20-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Shifting the shifter left to M/S should drop a gear or two right away and change the way the transmission responds. I do this many times when I need o overtake another car at highway speed, and find it quite useful without formally changing the transmission to manual.
I also do this quite often, as in my driving I very often end up following a slow vehicle (or in slow traffic) and the gearbox adapts quickly to the conditions. To grab a quick overtake, either shift to M/S and manoeuvre, or if simply in anticipation, M/S and back to D.

Been doing this with ZF autos since 2002, for 5, 6 & 8-speed. Each generation has improved its adaptive transmission management. The 8-speed is such a brilliant 'box, learn to get the best from its features and it functions superbly.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

What does moving the shifter to m/s do as opposed to going to Sport + mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Don't have the M40, bu t I've seen where I got immediate power in comfort mode and in sport mode and other times slight delay. Gearbox shifting causing delay makes more sense now.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:57 PM   #13
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
What does moving the shifter to m/s do as opposed to going to Sport + mode?
The shifter M/S affects only transmission (works in all Drive modes I believe, to improve sportiness, but never try it in Eco mode), while Sport modes affects all driving characteristics including transmission, throttle, steering, Adaptive suspension, etc.

Shifter M/S is additive to the Sport mode, so if you want the ultimate sporty experience, combine M/S to Sport+. But be prepared for a harsh ride.
Appreciate 1
weez271.50
      01-20-2019, 01:22 PM   #14
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Mission Performance Transmission Tune to the rescue!
Appreciate 1
j1980mac262.50
      01-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #15
DanTosi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

thanks everyone.... i think it is the trans downshifting
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 07:10 PM   #16
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
I agree, I think now and then, the trans is napping and it takes a second to wake up. I accepted it in my 2014 Jeep GC, however BMW should rewrite the software code for a faster response in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #17
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

I’d argue I notice this most when at a roll of a yield sign. Sometimes you punch it to get into traffic and it just doesn’t respond as quickly as you’d hope. I’m also assuming it’s the gear box shifting down.

I’ve never much played with the paddles. 8 gears or whatever throws me for a look compared to s normal 5 speed.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup188.50
      01-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #18
abcsoup
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
I’d argue I notice this most when at a roll of a yield sign. Sometimes you punch it to get into traffic and it just doesn’t respond as quickly as you’d hope. I’m also assuming it’s the gear box shifting down.

I’ve never much played with the paddles. 8 gears or whatever throws me for a look compared to s normal 5 speed.
I've noticed this as well during this particular driving situation. When I slow down almost to a stop and then give it gas (sometimes happens in a yield or left turn situation), the transmission lags and hesitates for what feels like 1-2 seconds. Perhaps it's in a very high gear to reduce resistance when slowing down and needs time to downshift when I mash the throttle. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it's annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Experimenting yesterday, I think the problem is that the default start gear is 2nd gear. You can override this by putting the gear lever in m/s or manually downshifting to 1st.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #20
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
As everyone has said, it is the gearing not the turbo.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #21
Scottatah
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
I've noticed this as well during this particular driving situation. When I slow down almost to a stop and then give it gas (sometimes happens in a yield or left turn situation), the transmission lags and hesitates for what feels like 1-2 seconds. Perhaps it's in a very high gear to reduce resistance when slowing down and needs time to downshift when I mash the throttle. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it's annoying.
Gah. Today, rolling yield. Shifted over to M/S+ And same thing. I would concur with the gearing though that’s odd as I find in heavy traffic at slow speeds it’ll be kinda jerky as it doesn’t wanna get outta first or second or whatever.

Ah well, this annoyance beside, still love the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottatah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcsoup View Post
Gah. Today, rolling yield. Shifted over to M/S+ And same thing. I would concur with the gearing though that's odd as I find in heavy traffic at slow speeds it'll be kinda jerky as it doesn't wanna get outta first or second or whatever.

Ah well, this annoyance beside, still love the vehicle.
Just curious - When you changed to M/S, did you stay in Automatic Sport shift, or did you take over and turn into manual? What drive mode are you on?

Also, what gear was the car on when you turned to M/S? Did the car eventually downshift To a lower gear (what gear?) for you when you accelerated away from Yield sign, despite the 'hesitation'?

If it bothers you too much, there may be a workaround - while in normal automatic with shifter in 'D', pull and hold the left shift paddle on your steering wheel to drop to first gear quickly prior to you attempting the acceleration at Yield sign. This turns the transmission into temporary manual mode though, but it will return back to normal 'D' after a while, or you can manually pull and hold the right shift paddle to quickly return back to 'D'.
Appreciate 0