BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Brembo GT front brakes for F97/F98

Just a heads-up that Brembo now offers 8 piston GT front brakes with a 412x38 mm rotor for X3M/X4M and I just ordered my set from RG Sport. As I am lucky to live in close proximity to PBIR, I occasionally take my cars to the track and I wasn’t super happy with the performance of the OEM 4 piston caliper front brakes on my X3M and the rapid wear of the front brake pads. I had to replace my first set of front pads after only 5k miles. I hope these issues will now be solved with the admittedly expensive Brembo brakes. I will provide more pictures and updates after the brakes are installed and I take the car to the race track.
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
aw3051441.50
Max Well4690.50
pluckydks621.50
cfm56d7b5849.00
TTR307.00
r33_RGSport12803.00
spuntyb4051.50
      05-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
aw305
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Just a heads-up that Brembo now offers 8 piston GT front brakes with a 412x38 mm rotor for X3M/X4M and I just ordered my set from RG Sport. As I am lucky to live in close proximity to PBIR, I occasionally take my cars to the track and I wasn’t super happy with the performance of the OEM 4 piston caliper front brakes on my X3M and the rapid wear of the front brake pads. I had to replace my first set of front pads after only 5k miles. I hope these issues will now be solved with the admittedly expensive Brembo brakes. I will provide more pictures and updates after the brakes are installed and I take the car to the race track.
Can I blame you when my wallet is constantly emptied 😭
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
spuntyb4051.50
      05-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw305 View Post
Haha, that’s why I was hesitant to post this...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #4
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Haha, that’s why I was hesitant to post this...
No matching rears? That would be an OCD issue for me lol
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:42 PM   #5
knepsterd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Haha, that's why I was hesitant to post this...
No matching rears? That would be an OCD issue for me lol
I have a personal question Alex FL
If you use the suv for racing...
Why didn't you get a F90 and FBO it and get a raptor on the side. For all the $$$ you are plowing into a a basic suv 3 series with a hoot engine I think you would have more satisfaction. That would be my steps.

I'm a year or two away for a gt3 rs last kid out of college and retired.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      05-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Why didn't you get a F90 and FBO it and get a raptor on the side. For all the $$$ you are plowing into a a basic suv 3 series with a hoot engine I think you would have more satisfaction. That would be my steps.

1) I’m using this suv for daily driving first and foremost.
2) I love my basic suv 3 series with a hoot engine and I will gladly spend all the $$$ on it. Once I’m done spending all the $$$, I’ll sell it and buy an F90 and a Raptor, just like you told me to.
3) I’m happy you are so damn close to buying a gt3 rs. This is great news and we are all happy you shared them with us.
Appreciate 11
knepsterd375.50
Max Well4690.50
forza19763391.00
FrankieNuo1210.00
smithf802794.00
TTR307.00
dazzapb1045.50
BrockDM2036.00
kozzi927.00
      05-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #7
knepsterd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

2) I love my basic suv 3 series with a hoot engine and I will gladly spend all the $$$ on it. Once I’m done spending all the $$$, I’ll sell it and buy an F90 and a Raptor, just like you told me to.
3) I’m happy you are so damn close to buying a gt3 rs. This is great news and we are all happy you shared them with us.
I do appreciate the Akra exhaust !!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #8
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:

Apologies in advance as I know you asked this of Alex, knepsterd, but I'll share why I couldn't follow your thought process (which, I might add, sounds perfectly reasonable if you have the financial means and the garage storage space for two vehicles instead of one).

Understandably on a Forum for high performance, relatively upper echelon brands, some will have the discretionary cash flow to own multiple vehicles, each with a specifically-designed purpose in their family, and have multi-car garages to house them. I enjoy seeing those shared threads and images.

But, for those with two-car garages, who wish to have one vehicle which is a composite of the two you shared, the X3MC fits the bill. Will the Raptor carry more? No doubt, but I've never needed that. Will the Raptor pull more? No doubt, but I've never needed that. Will the Raptor go up snowed in mountain roads better? No doubt, but I will never need that. Do I like the F90 - absolutely a great construct. Had a lot of fun driving it hard at full day M School. Do I wish I had one over my X3MC, even if cost outlay was the same? No. Heresy, I know... But it also can't carry/haul what I need to do on a weekly basis. Would it run better at a track? No doubt, but honestly if I had the discretionary cash flow, and if I lived near a track to which an Auto Club had full access (neither of which I have), I would simply join the Club and run the vehicles they have available. No worries of maintenance or downtime. Same reason we sold our offshore boat - had a great time in it over the years, but annual maintenance, insurance, fuel, storage costs produced Grouper and Snapper catches worth $500/lb. Now, we just talk with our local Captains and head out and let them handle everything - including cleaning the fish and providing the tackle.

Long-winded reply, but I've enjoyed reading Alex's progress with his build. In essence, he's trying for an even more capable X3M - what the Competition honestly probably should've come as, but at least what an X3MCS could be. I understand this is also sacrilege for many of the M1, M2, M3 (and possibly M5) Drivers to read (many of which now own F97/98 models), but if M Division built into this construct what it's design attributes allow, then one wouldn't need separate track cars, pickups, family sedans and multi-car garages to be a reasonably fun and serious threat at a track.
Appreciate 8
AlexFL7833.00
pluckydks621.50
knepsterd375.50
noushy1650.00
DFTBA121.50
      05-24-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Apologies in advance as I know you asked this of Alex, knepsterd, but I'll share why I couldn't follow your thought process (which, I might add, sounds perfectly reasonable if you have the financial means and the garage storage space for two vehicles instead of one).

Understandably on a Forum for high performance, relatively upper echelon brands, some will have the discretionary cash flow to own multiple vehicles, each with a specifically-designed purpose in their family, and have multi-car garages to house them. I enjoy seeing those shared threads and images.

But, for those with two-car garages, who wish to have one vehicle which is a composite of the two you shared, the X3MC fits the bill. Will the Raptor carry more? No doubt, but I've never needed that. Will the Raptor pull more? No doubt, but I've never needed that. Will the Raptor go up snowed in mountain roads better? No doubt, but I will never need that. Do I like the F90 - absolutely a great construct. Had a lot of fun driving it hard at full day M School. Do I wish I had one over my X3MC, even if cost outlay was the same? No. Heresy, I know... But it also can't carry/haul what I need to do on a weekly basis. Would it run better at a track? No doubt, but honestly if I had the discretionary cash flow, and if I lived near a track to which an Auto Club had full access (neither of which I have), I would simply join the Club and run the vehicles they have available. No worries of maintenance or downtime. Same reason we sold our offshore boat - had a great time in it over the years, but annual maintenance, insurance, fuel, storage costs produced Grouper and Snapper catches worth $500/lb. Now, we just talk with our local Captains and head out and let them handle everything - including cleaning the fish and providing the tackle.

Long-winded reply, but I've enjoyed reading Alex's progress with his build. In essence, he's trying for an even more capable X3M - what the Competition honestly probably should've come as, but at least what an X3MCS could be. I understand this is also sacrilege for many of the M1, M2, M3 (and possibly M5) Drivers to read (many of which now own F97/98 models), but if M Division built into this construct what it's design attributes allow, then one wouldn't need separate track cars, pickups, family sedans and multi-car garages to be a reasonably fun and serious threat at a track.
Max, in my case it is much simpler. I really like this F97 and I’m making a build, just like people build their M2s and M3s and M5s. It’s my hobby. Is it an expensive hobby that wastes a ton of money? Yes. Is it also a ton of fun? Yes.
Appreciate 8
      05-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #10
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Man, how much are the 8pot Brembo fronts???

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #11
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

AlexFL screw the haters. I, for one, am a fanboy, a jealous fanboy, but a fanboy, nonetheless.
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7833.00
FrankieNuo1210.00
Razel141.00
      05-24-2020, 05:54 PM   #12
knepsterd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
AlexFL screw the haters. I, for one, am a fanboy, a jealous fanboy, but a fanboy, nonetheless.
Btw not hating at all. Just a curious gear head.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:26 PM   #13
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Man, how much are the 8pot Brembo fronts???
It’s in the same range as for all the other Brembo GT brake sets for M cars.

Last edited by AlexFL; 05-24-2020 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
Ahh, it’s just the good ol’ Knepsterd. I definitely don’t take this personally.
Appreciate 1
knepsterd375.50
      05-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #15
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Luv u man!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:10 PM   #16
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Luv u man!
Thank you bro. I just wanted an Italian part on my car
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #17
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post

Max, thank you for so accurately, better than I could have, articulating my same logic when approaching this particular vehicle. When they posted my custom tune (now gone) video on YouTube, I found myself responding to a very similar criticism as Alex. "It's not a sports car. It's not an off road vehicle. What a useless car." My response was an abbreviated version of yours. I don't have exhorbant garage space nor infinitely deep pockets. The X3MC will not tow more than a dedicated dualie pickup truck. It won't track better than a two seater sports car. I, personally, don't have either of those two needs. This single automobile meets all my sporting and utility needs and far outperforms many, but certainly not all, of the contenders in those dedicated categories. It checks all my boxes in spades, and I hope to keep it for many years to come (purchased, not leased).

Last edited by MrItaly; 05-25-2020 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
knepsterd375.50
      05-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #18
dhurng
Rep
Drives: '19 i8

For everyone's response/justification on the purchase of this amazing car, here is the tldr in image form:

Believe me, I can't do this in the 911
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
pluckydks621.50
AlexFL7833.00
Max Well4690.50
r33_RGSport12803.00
      05-25-2020, 01:42 AM   #19
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Do you have to remove the whole caliper to change pads????
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 08:23 AM   #20
BOEING 777
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC 2022 X3MC 2023 M3C

Quote:
Max, in my case it is much simpler. I really like this F97 and I’m making a build, just like people build their M2s and M3s and M5s. It’s my hobby. Is it an expensive hobby that wastes a ton of money? Yes. Is it also a ton of fun? Yes.
Alex I just love what you are doing with your car Bro and really want to see it on the track let me know when next you are going down there I am 45 mins away and dying to take mine up there too.Lets have some fun when they open.
Also I know a couple of guys here in the Ft Lauderdale/WPB and MIA area want to do the same.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
rlora19.50
      05-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #21
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Ditto- And I'm in Lauderdale, so please add me to the list.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
bates1325258.00
      05-25-2020, 09:21 AM   #22
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOEING 777 View Post
Alex I just love what you are doing with your car Bro and really want to see it on the track let me know when next you are going down there I am 45 mins away and dying to take mine up there too.Lets have some fun when they open.
Also I know a couple of guys here in the Ft Lauderdale/WPB and MIA area want to do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
Ditto- And I'm in Lauderdale, so please add me to the list.
Absolutely, guys. Once all this madness is over, we should all meet at the PBIR. If we get enough people together, we can do private half day rental. Maybe Max Well SWOT1 will want to join.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50