BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #23
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Tire pressure will greatly impact your experience. I discovered that on empty Italian autostrada. The vehicle is rock solid at max speeds when the tires are properly inflated. Anything less than that is quite scary at the high end of this car.

Last edited by MrItaly; 04-24-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      04-24-2020, 08:51 PM   #24
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Soul my 1994 bmw 3 series is pretty much the definition of soul. One with the vehicle, I drove the car it didn't drive me. Hydraulic steering system felt everything on the road, knew exactly what my tires were doing. Definetly not a "pig". Confidence inspiring, made me a better driver. There that's my definition of soul. BMW lost that years ago no doubt. Being able to go fast 0-60 or 1/4 mile seems to be the criteria today. Going fast without any feel sucks.
By that definition, every single car and manufacturer has lost its soul. I understand what you're saying regarding cars not being as raw as they once were, but let's be real, there better in just about every other aspect.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan25016.50
TTBear414.50
khanyam4801.50
      04-24-2020, 10:50 PM   #25
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I’ve spent over twenty years of my life in Germany and 150 mph is a pretty common speed for BMW/Merc/Audi/Porsche cars on some parts of the Autobahn (e.g. A7 between Hannover and Frankfurt). I haven’t had any aerodynamic lift issues with my F82.
I was in Germany for the first 7500+ miles of the car and it had no issues going at autobahn speeds
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      04-24-2020, 11:12 PM   #26
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluckydks View Post
I was in Germany for the first 7500+ miles of the car and it had no issues going at autobahn speeds
I once drove a Ford Galaxy van at 110 mph. Now that shit was scary.
Appreciate 2
RustyBitz1573.50
pluckydks621.50
      04-25-2020, 02:21 AM   #27
BDO
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport

Those gloves are max cringe.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:39 AM   #28
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Those euro spec vans haull ass, though. Well, for a van, I mean. I remember a Mercedes Sprinter that was flying keeping pace with me in the Brenner pass a decade ago. Very different from your classic American cargo van.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      04-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #29
BobBeau
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

I drove one of these at an M event. It was pretty anticlimactic. It's raw but, at the same time, underwhelming. I can see the appeal for a road course but definitely not a daily driver.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      04-25-2020, 10:58 AM   #30
pluckydks
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3 ZCP, 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Those euro spec vans haull ass, though. Well, for a van, I mean. I remember a Mercedes Sprinter that was flying keeping pace with me in the Brenner pass a decade ago. Very different from your classic American cargo van.
Prior to current career, I was an EMT in LA. I used to have to drive a Sprinter around on LA roads. That was scary
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      04-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #31
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Dont know what to tell you. That was my experience with my F80 and it only had about 500 miles on it. At 150 it was extremely wobbly and required massive steering correction constantly. Felt like I would have taken off had I sped up a bit more.
At 500 miles those tires are too fresh to have decent grip and stability. Had the same issue on my M2. Gotta get them worn in a bit and warmed up a few times.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #32
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapcat View Post
Quote:
Dont know what to tell you. That was my experience with my F80 and it only had about 500 miles on it. At 150 it was extremely wobbly and required massive steering correction constantly. Felt like I would have taken off had I sped up a bit more.
At 500 miles those tires are too fresh to have decent grip and stability. Had the same issue on my M2. Gotta get them worn in a bit and warmed up a few times.
They were definitely warmed up, but also new so maybe that was part of the issue. I was surprised because I was fairly confident the M3 would be stable at those speeds.
      04-26-2020, 02:44 PM   #33
Jbravo33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

It's a nice car.... for your girl.
      04-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #34
FrankieNuo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' G80

Garage List
2023 Bmw M3  [8.36]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbravo33 View Post
It's a nice car.... for your girl.
Your right this and a convertible, perfect chick cars.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7835.00
khanyam4801.50
car_fan381.00
      04-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #35
RedScytheM3
Science stuff and stuff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
Some people need to get a sense of humor.

That car is beautiful! I've test driven it, my biggest qualm with it is the lack of "soul."

Hard to explain it, but it does not inspire the same sort of emotion as the last generation M3 does. Less of a connection with the car.
How does one define "soul"? I would wager that we all have different criteria. Is a soulless car one that basically drives itself and doesn't require any real tactile involvement? Is a soulless car one without mechanical issues that give it character?

Let some tell it, the outgoing M3/4 has/had no soul either. The E9X gained soul after it was discontinued. Prior to that, it was considered many things, but full of soul wasn't one of them. The E46 M3 gained its soul after it was discontinued too. It was a heavy pig before that.

So what really is soul?!?
Quote:
Quote:
Soul my 1994 bmw 3 series is pretty much the definition of soul. One with the vehicle, I drove the car it didn't drive me. Hydraulic steering system felt everything on the road, knew exactly what my tires were doing. Definetly not a "pig". Confidence inspiring, made me a better driver. There that's my definition of soul. BMW lost that years ago no doubt. Being able to go fast 0-60 or 1/4 mile seems to be the criteria today. Going fast without any feel sucks.
Sooooo, why aren't you driving the 1994 BMW 3? Was it an automatic or a 6MT? I find it hard to label any automatic vehicle soulful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieNuo View Post
Quote:
By that definition, every single car and manufacturer has lost its soul. I understand what you're saying regarding cars not being as raw as they once were, but let's be real, there better in just about every other aspect.
What I've come to learn from the E92 M3 forums is this 'soul' everyone keeps talking about is really nostalgia. I read their posts about getting excited to find a 'unicorn' with no options, no nav, nothing - and think 'wtf?' Or perhaps a preference for a grittier ride with leaking hydraulic steering systems is what soul is? I just roll my eyes when I see someone talk about a cars soul
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7835.00
FrankieNuo1219.00
Sedan_Clan25016.50
khanyam4801.50
      04-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #36
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScytheM3 View Post
What I've come to learn from the E92 M3 forums is this 'soul' everyone keeps talking about is really nostalgia. I read their posts about getting excited to find a 'unicorn' with no options, no nav, nothing - and think 'wtf?' Or perhaps a preference for a grittier ride with leaking hydraulic steering systems is what soul is? I just roll my eyes when I see someone talk about a cars soul
Well plenty of people have formed a similar consensus so it didn't come out of nowhere. Most people who've experienced the E-chassis models know that something is missing from the newer cars. Those old cars would get destroyed from 0-60 and around a track by the new models. But moving fast in an isolation chamber with no feedback from the road isn't a particularly engaging experience.
I don't feel that the F8X lacks feel nor engagement. It communicates well. "Feel" is as subjective as looks and sound are.

I realized very quickly how topics like hydraulic steering are really over emphasized and romanticized. Years ago I jumped from my '14 F-Series 335i M Sport into my ex-Girlfriend's '11 135i M-Sport and wondered what the hydraulic hype was all about. I much preferred the newer steering. The hydraulic steering was heavy, a pain in the ass at slow speeds and nearly indistinguishable at freeway and track speeds to me.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7835.00
      04-27-2020, 10:16 AM   #37
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
How does one define "soul"? I would wager that we all have different criteria. Is a soulless car one that basically drives itself and doesn't require any real tactile involvement? Is a soulless car one without mechanical issues that give it character?

Let some tell it, the outgoing M3/4 has/had no soul either. The E9X gained soul after it was discontinued. Prior to that, it was considered many things, but full of soul wasn't one of them. The E46 M3 gained its soul after it was discontinued too. It was a heavy pig before that.

I honestly think what people refer to as "Soul" is one's own personal connection and/or feeling with the car and the road as they drive. Soul in my opinion is subjective to the individual.
Appreciate 2
FrankieNuo1219.00
Germanauto9698.00
      04-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #38
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:

I honestly think what people refer to as "Soul" is one's own personal connection and/or feeling with the car and the road as they drive. Soul in my opinion is subjective to the individual.
I absolutely agree, as are most of the definitive declarations people make. About the only thing that isn't subjective is objective measured performance data.
Appreciate 1
FrankieNuo1219.00
      04-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #39
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I don't feel that the F8X lacks feel nor engagement. It communicates well. "Feel" is as subjective as looks and sound are.

I realized very quickly how topics like hydraulic steering are really over emphasized and romanticized. Years ago I jumped from my '14 F-Series 335i M Sport into my ex-Girlfriend's '11 135i M-Sport and wondered what the hydraulic hype was all about. I much preferred the newer steering. The hydraulic steering was heavy, a pain in the ass at slow speeds and nearly indistinguishable at freeway and track speeds to me.
Well to each their own, there's no right answer. And objectively speaking these electric steering racks on modern BMWs and Porsches are faster and more precise. Dialing out the road "feel" so many of us cherish allows the car to be unfazed by road imperfections. No more pull drift/tramlining, easier to drive at high speeds.

But a lot of us would happily trade that for the sensation of the wheel being directly connected to the front wheels. Feeling the road imperfections in a straight line, along with the resistance of the tires fighting us in turns is a very confidence-inspiring sensation. When all these "imperfections" vehicle are engineered out, the connection between the car and driver is gone. And also gone in the process is the characteristic way BMW's used to drive.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00
      04-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #40
ginginha
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Faity

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Unless it's aerodynamics are better than the F80, I would NOT be driving that fast. I had a hard time controlling the F80 at 150MPH due to aerodynamic lift at higher speeds, I can't imagine this thing
Interesting experience. I took my F80 over 150 several times on the autobahn during my ED and didn't get that sense at all. Never bumped off a limiter, but I got it somewhere between 165 and 170 (didn't want to look down too long). The only thing I noticed was the rear view mirror vibrated a lot. Otherwise, it was super stable and didn't get any sort of lift.
2016 F80 ED 9/10/15 3:20 - BSM, SS, DCT, M Adaptive, Silver 437M
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 07:01 PM   #41
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:

Well to each their own, there's no right answer. And objectively speaking these electric steering racks on modern BMWs and Porsches are faster and more precise. Dialing out the road "feel" so many of us cherish allows the car to be unfazed by road imperfections. No more pull drift/tramlining, easier to drive at high speeds.

But a lot of us would happily trade that for the sensation of the wheel being directly connected to the front wheels. Feeling the road imperfections in a straight line, along with the resistance of the tires fighting us in turns is a very confidence-inspiring sensation. When all these "imperfections" vehicle are engineered out, the connection between the car and driver is gone. And also gone in the process is the characteristic way BMW's used to drive.
That's easily solved. Drive an older car.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #42
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Or a bicycle. Perfect road feel 👌
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25016.50
      04-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #43
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Or a bicycle. Perfect road feel 👌
Next thing they'll be saying is today's bikes are too easy to ride. Too many gears and not enough struggle; bearings too good in the front tube. Gone are the days where we used to feel everything through the chromoly front forks and handlebars. Bring back the Huffy Sonic-6.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7835.00
FrankieNuo1219.00
      04-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #44
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginginha View Post
Quote:
Unless it's aerodynamics are better than the F80, I would NOT be driving that fast. I had a hard time controlling the F80 at 150MPH due to aerodynamic lift at higher speeds, I can't imagine this thing
Interesting experience. I took my F80 over 150 several times on the autobahn during my ED and didn't get that sense at all. Never bumped off a limiter, but I got it somewhere between 165 and 170 (didn't want to look down too long). The only thing I noticed was the rear view mirror vibrated a lot. Otherwise, it was super stable and didn't get any sort of lift.
This is what I don't understand. It could be due to the tires being new, like the other poster said. Now I'm really curious to test this again and see, but I unfortunately sold my car.