BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
DIY- Full install for AvinUSA X3 android navigation display

Hey yall!

I am super active on the F30 side of the forums but wanted to share here as I also have an E83 X3.

I installed the new 10.25 android display into my X3, and the difference is unreal!

***Full disclosure*** I worked with Avin directly for this installation as I have done for years, and I wanted to share the installation here.

The install is incredibly simple, and honestly takes about 30min or less to do the work. You take out that (useless to me) storage bin at the top of the console and add in a display that looks better than most current OEM displays. My 11yo X3 just suddenly jumped forward and looks like a modern model, and even more so now that the display does a mimic ID5 and now ID6 iDrive tile layout!

I am really excited about this and excited to all of the native navigation, apps, streaming media etc to this car that I really feel lacking at times.

check it out, I welcome any questions!

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
brick8
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW X3

Looks great

Wish I had seen this a week ago. I spent last weekend installing an aftermarket headunit in my 2006 X3 with the DSP amplifier. Most of the time was spent figuring out how to get the amplifier to turn on and to connect all the wires. Your set-up looks cleaner, although considerably more expensive
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick8 View Post
Wish I had seen this a week ago. I spent last weekend installing an aftermarket headunit in my 2006 X3 with the DSP amplifier. Most of the time was spent figuring out how to get the amplifier to turn on and to connect all the wires. Your set-up looks cleaner, although considerably more expensive
I can understand that.. getting an aftermarket head unit into my X5 with DSP a few years ago was a massive pain.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:53 PM   #4
tankalf
Rep
Drives: X3 E83

Hello

I have a X3 E83 with original bmw navigation system

I bought the AVIN system, have I to do something special/different to connect it?

I don't want to continue to use the original bmw navigation system, only listen to radio if possible.
I will use my iphone connected to Avin for navigation system.

But I would like to know if wires are different from your guide

Thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankalf View Post
Hello

I have a X3 E83 with original bmw navigation system

I bought the AVIN system, have I to do something special/different to connect it?

I don't want to continue to use the original bmw navigation system, only listen to radio if possible.
I will use my iphone connected to Avin for navigation system.

But I would like to know if wires are different from your guide

Thanks a lot
Awesome question and while the connection to the head unit might be a little different, I am guessing most will be the same. You also had to get a big long extension wire as well I bet? Most of the factory NAV systems required a big long wiring harness run I think back to a unit in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
tankalf
Rep

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

This is my navigation system in my X3.

Under the armrest there is the cd changer, so I think all system is like in your video.
The only difference is that I don't have a display where to see radio station names when I will leave the original bmw navigation system display.
Because I think I can not use the Avin Usa system to listen the radio, right?

I bought also the DAB+ dongle, so may be I will use this to avoid this problem, if there is...
What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

This is my navigation system in my X3.

Under the armrest there is the cd changer, so I think all system is like in your video.
The only difference is that I don't have a display where to see radio station names when I will leave the original bmw navigation system display.
Because I think I can not use the Avin Usa system to listen the radio, right?

I bought also the DAB+ dongle, so may be I will use this to avoid this problem, if there is...
What do you think?
Hmmm... GREAT question, and yeah it would replace that screen entirely. So I would guess the install is similar, and you can use my guide on how to get parts out and the like, but some I haven't done before either. Too bad you are not any closer to me, and I would help if I could.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
tankalf
Rep

Yes, we are a bit far away

Tomorrow I will try.
It was strange that nobody try to change original bmw x3 navigation system with this awesome Avin model.
I tried to looking for someone also with google, but I found nothing.
Very strange... also that Avin doesn't make a guide for both case, with or without original navigation system...

I will let you know tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
tankalf
Rep

Here I am...

Today I tried to play with my new Avin unit, but... big problem

I don't have an AUX plug, because I have the damn CD Changer!!
So, what can I do now?

I don't need to keep the CD changer, I can also leave it, but how can I have a AUX input?

Or I thought also that I can sell all my original navigation system, display and cd changer, and buy the original Bmw Business CD, in this way all shoud work, isn't it right?

Or I still will have problems with my car cables?

I made some photos, hope you can continue to help me... I was dreaming all the week this new Avin in my X3...

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Q4
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

The Avin unit will NOT work with cars equipped with the factory navigation system. The reason for this is that all of the radio, control and display functions are routed through the oem navigation screen.

In order for this to work in your car you will need to first convert your stock radio head unit to a non-navigation one.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 03:51 AM   #11
fred.pacc
Registered
Rep
Drives: E83

Hello,

i have a E83 2008 and i bought a 10.25 Gps without origin gps.

but the dashboard informations speed and pdc reverse don't work with the screen dashboard

have you an idea?

Best regards

Fred
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Here I am...

So, what can I do now?

I don't need to keep the CD changer, I can also leave it, but how can I have a AUX input?

Or I thought also that I can sell all my original navigation system, display and cd changer, and buy the original Bmw Business CD, in this way all shoud work, isn't it right?

I made some photos, hope you can continue to help me... I was dreaming all the week this new Avin in my X3...

Sorry for the late response.. never got a notice on this for some reason. You can add the AUX port with an OEM cable directly from BMW (for a ludicrous amount) or a copy from Avin directly. Add that to your wiring harness and you should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #13
rplaya02119
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Hey My friend i Hve same Avin Unit any luck on dashboard, or pdc sonar for aftermarket cam
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 06:56 AM   #14
saeidhosseini
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Sorry for the late response.. never got a notice on this for some reason. You can add the AUX port with an OEM cable directly from BMW (for a ludicrous amount) or a copy from Avin directly. Add that to your wiring harness and you should be good to go.
I also have exactly the same problem. I also was thinking about adding a cable to support the missing AUX cable. Another idea came to my mind is that maybe I can connect my AUX jack from AVIN to the rear AUX port (behind the CD changer). Will that be fine as an alternative to the addition of new AUX cable?
Appreciate your advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:00 AM   #15
saeidhosseini
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
Hey yall!

I am super active on the F30 side of the forums but wanted to share here as I also have an E83 X3.

I installed the new 10.25 android display into my X3, and the difference is unreal!

***Full disclosure*** I worked with Avin directly for this installation as I have done for years, and I wanted to share the installation here.

The install is incredibly simple, and honestly takes about 30min or less to do the work. You take out that (useless to me) storage bin at the top of the console and add in a display that looks better than most current OEM displays. My 11yo X3 just suddenly jumped forward and looks like a modern model, and even more so now that the display does a mimic ID5 and now ID6 iDrive tile layout!

I am really excited about this and excited to all of the native navigation, apps, streaming media etc to this car that I really feel lacking at times.

check it out, I welcome any questions!

Thank you very much for this guide. It was wonderful and I used it in order to do almost all the work to install my new unit. One thing I am facing is that my business CD unit shows -DISABLED- message in its display. However, if I reconnect its original plug, it works fine. I think something is mismatching after connecting the AVIN plug.
That's why I am stuck in this stage. Appreciate if any advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:03 AM   #16
saeidhosseini
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Here I am...

So, what can I do now?

forgot to mention that my specifications are exactly the same as in this post. (without prior navigation/display system..exactly same photos.)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #17
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeidhosseini View Post
Quote:
Here I am...

So, what can I do now?

forgot to mention that my specifications are exactly the same as in this post. (without prior navigation/display system..exactly same photos.)
check with avin.. thought there was something was the CD changer, and maybe it was NAV, but I think you need an extension cable.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
Natban
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3 2.5l e83

Great video BMW DIY Guy. I bought one of these after watching. Unfortunately, I'm having a few problems, the biggest seems to be that my unit is always powered on as soon as I plug the Avin Harness in. I have drawn out the wiring of the Avin harness. I would love to compare this with the harness' that others have received from Avin.
Name:  AvinUSA Wiring Harness.jpg
Views: 15146
Size:  69.0 KB

There are a few other wires heading up to the screen that I haven't drawn, namely the aux input from the factory harness to the screen which is not in use for this installation (not to be mixed up with the audio output of the Android screen to the Aux input of the Business CD Player).

The information I used for pins 1 through 16 is based on this diagram.
Name:  nffTaiM.jpg
Views: 13375
Size:  23.4 KB

Is anyone else able to have their Android screen dim with their interior lights? My screen doesn't seem to dim at night and is way too bright to be driving around with.

I would love to hear input from other users.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #19
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I will see what I can find out, but also check in with Avin.. sounds like a wiring harness with a wire in the wrong place in the plug.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #20
Natban
Registered
Rep

Does anyone have their screen illumination dim at night time or dim with the interior dash lights?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
Natban
Registered
Rep

Please Help!!

When you guys turn the ignition off in your car and remove you keys does your Android screen automatically turn off? Or at the very least, with the delayed accessories?

Also, Do your units dim when your headlights and the interior dash lights turn on? Or is your screen just as bright in the day time as it is at night time?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #22
BMW DIY Guy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.75]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
So if you are having the power problem, reach out to Avin ASAP. I talked with them about this yesterday from the comments here, and a couple of comments on my YouTube video.

As it turns out, the android 7.1 systems may have a wiring harness where the constant 12v and switched 12v are swapped. Ping them asap, and I am sure they will get you hooked up properly.
Appreciate 0