BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #1
UberXY
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 2005 X3

Cannot locate engine leaks: 08 X3

So, my X3 leaks about a pint of oil a month onto my driveway, but only for a few hours after driving it. Also, I have to add a pint or so of water every week.

I have no idea where the water goes. Does not go on the ground. No steam from tailpipe.

There is oil on the bottom of the pan, but I cannot see where it is leaking. Ive done the obvious - checked the oil level sensor for a leak (nope), replaced the valve cover gasket, and replaced the two gaskets on the oil filter housing.

So is it the head gasket? Oil pan gasket? I'm not sure how much I want to spend on a car with such a low trade in value.

The good news is that it runs great! Reasonable mileage, no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline

I just had my oil pan gasket replaced under extended warranty and it was 1200. It is a big job and takes a lot of labor to do it for minimal parts. As the 3.0 gets older it starts leaking from everything. I am now leaking from oil filter housing. Mine is an 08 with 105k on it. I drive this car to work and just want to keep driving it until it fails something major. Problem is the older bmw takes a lot of service to keep going. I'm about ready to just go lease another new one and be done with it.