BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
frozen white?? maintenance?

Hey currently have a 22” X3MC brooklyn/shar orange

Love it. But i have fallen in love with the frozen white

Anyone know how hard it is to maintain.
I live in NJ and get snow. Is there any special way to wash it etc??

Definitely want frozen white for my next car
Attached is the new m3cs in frozen. Looks so sick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 03:13 PM   #2
werke-t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

I would just buy a base white car and have it stealth wrapped... easy to maintain and protected at same time.
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

First rule is absolutely no waxes or polishes. Probably the best thing to do is have a matte-specific PPF applied and ceramic coat (or just ceramic coat). Ceramic pro has a good page that goes over caring for factory matte paints: https://ceramicpro.com/exploring-the...aint-for-cars/
Appreciate 2
      01-28-2023, 05:19 PM   #4
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
I just traded my X3M for a matte Mercedes and been delving deep into washing do's and don'ts . You want Ph neutral car wash soaps no gloss or waxes. No claying or polishing. In the spring I’ll do a ceramic coating. Gyeon matte or Dr Beasleys makes some good matte stuff. Chemical guys has a matte detailer too.
Appreciate 1
f80NJ17210.00
      01-28-2023, 06:32 PM   #5
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Why not just wrap it matte white?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:12 PM   #6
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsavarese View Post
I just traded my X3M for a matte Mercedes and been delving deep into washing do's and don'ts . You want Ph neutral car wash soaps no gloss or waxes. No claying or polishing. In the spring I’ll do a ceramic coating. Gyeon matte or Dr Beasleys makes some good matte stuff. Chemical guys has a matte detailer too.
Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted to know.
I wash my own cars so this will help me in maintaining the paint and what not to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 09:14 PM   #7
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Why not just wrap it matte white?
Yea might go this route. Not familiar with how I want to move forward in future. What is the difference from me wrapping it vs bmw factory frozen white
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 12:08 AM   #8
CZS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f80NJ17 View Post
Yea might go this route. Not familiar with how I want to move forward in future. What is the difference from me wrapping it vs bmw factory frozen white
You get the added protection that PPF provides for one. Second, if something damages the finish, it's relatively easy to remove and reapply the PPF. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to paint match a matte/frozen paint.

Full disclosure, I don't have first hand experience with BMW matte/frozen paint but, in general, it's a pretty high maintenance finish. I would personally only consider doing it via full body PPF.
Appreciate 1
f80NJ17210.00
      01-29-2023, 12:19 PM   #9
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZS View Post
You get the added protection that PPF provides for one. Second, if something damages the finish, it's relatively easy to remove and reapply the PPF. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to paint match a matte/frozen paint.

Full disclosure, I don't have first hand experience with BMW matte/frozen paint but, in general, it's a pretty high maintenance finish. I would personally only consider doing it via full body PPF.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 07:43 AM   #10
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

I am going to be a little controversial here and say that a lot of the hype around the difficulty in maintaining frozen finishes is driven by “thought leadership” style articles from guess who? - the manufacturers of car care products who are now marketing a whole new line of non-gloss, non-wax products specifically for matte/frozen paint.

I previously owned a frozen bluestone metallic 840i and while I read a lot of the same do’s and don’ts articles, I found that my finish never really changed, no matter what product I used. If needed, I even took it through the local car wash that promised all kind of “gloss” and it never made a difference. Ironically, the frozen paints seem to stand up better to a car wash because there isn’t the gloss coating to get tarnished.

I do agree with the sentiment that the matte/frozen paints are a little more fragile, and they can’t be repaired easily even via a skilled SMART/Spot paint re-spray.

What I have never seen are any photos showing how the constant addition of waxes and polishes to a frozen/matte paint will actually fill in the designed micro crevices that generate the matte finish, and actually return it to something more glossy in appearance. I am not saying it can’t/won’t happen, just never seen Any compelling evidence.

I worked in the paint spray industry for several years but am not a paint/coating expert.

Everything you can read on why waxes and polishes should be avoided makes absolute scientific sense, it’s just that I didn’t personally experience my finish being that sensitive.

I have also led global corporate marketing teams and know who has the most to gain by encouraging concern about using existing products on the market. Just saying!

If I was looking for this finish again, I would take the option previously suggested - a base colour and add a matte/frozen PPF to give that effect and simultaneously protect your investment.

James.
Appreciate 5
95wildtt831.00
mtl8852.00
f80NJ17210.00
Max Well4734.50
cutnsew215.00
      01-31-2023, 07:12 AM   #11
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
I am going to be a little controversial here and say that a lot of the hype around the difficulty in maintaining frozen finishes is driven by “thought leadership” style articles from guess who? - the manufacturers of car care products who are now marketing a whole new line of non-gloss, non-wax products specifically for matte/frozen paint.

I previously owned a frozen bluestone metallic 840i and while I read a lot of the same do’s and don’ts articles, I found that my finish never really changed, no matter what product I used. If needed, I even took it through the local car wash that promised all kind of “gloss” and it never made a difference. Ironically, the frozen paints seem to stand up better to a car wash because there isn’t the gloss coating to get tarnished.

I do agree with the sentiment that the matte/frozen paints are a little more fragile, and they can’t be repaired easily even via a skilled SMART/Spot paint re-spray.

What I have never seen are any photos showing how the constant addition of waxes and polishes to a frozen/matte paint will actually fill in the designed micro crevices that generate the matte finish, and actually return it to something more glossy in appearance. I am not saying it can’t/won’t happen, just never seen Any compelling evidence.

I worked in the paint spray industry for several years but am not a paint/coating expert.

Everything you can read on why waxes and polishes should be avoided makes absolute scientific sense, it’s just that I didn’t personally experience my finish being that sensitive.

I have also led [...]
Thanks well said
Appreciate 0