BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #67
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviswan View Post
Max well is your feedback on the istep update the same as the OP with respect to suspension comfort?
Not as dramatic but seems to be somewhat improved. Very subjective though and could just be placebo effect. Here were some comments I shared in that other thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=19
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=22
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=24

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
... An istep update is akin to reformatting a computer - hence why all of the settings are reset to factory default. It requires the car to be put on a battery charger, along with other procedures, and there is a risk of bricking the car just like any other piece of technology. Hence, most dealers will be hesitant to do this on a whim even if you are willing to pay. If you have an established relationship with your SA and have a good service department, you have a chance of getting it done. However, this isn't something you can just walk in and ask for with success.
As many of the ISTA/P updates contain what BMW must ascertain as important improvements to their total vehicle systems’ code, it’s tough for me to believe that BMW Dealerships would be scared or worried about providing them for fear of an operating system failure. Seems that we as consumers owning current model line vehicles would want (and have a right to) the most current and improved operating system for our vehicles, and I don’t consider it a frivolous request. Understandably, as technology improves one would not expect BMW to keep updating older model lines, just as many digital product companies have a defined span during which updates to firmware and software are provided. I’d be on the phone with BMW NA if I wanted to pay for an approved/sanctioned BMW ISTA update and it was refused by a Dealership. Why produce an important update if it’s so dangerous that Svc Ctrs are hesitant to do the install? I can foresee some issues in the future with OTA ISTA updates being problematic, but hopefully one can obtain a download of them OTA then have the option of manually installing when one can attach a trickle charger if that’s an important aspect. Aren’t similar system updates by Tesla already being done OTA and without Dealer assistance?

Edit: to be clear so there aren't any misconceptions, I'm referencing paying for non-safety-related ISTA updates (BMW already provides those involving safety for free). I am not getting into the debate as to whether all updates (even non-safety-related) should or shouldn't be provided for free. Just indicating IMO if I own a current model line BMW, and a non-safety-related ISTA update is available, that I should have the ability to pay to have it installed and not be bound to the whims of a Dealership denying such.

Last edited by Max Well; 03-26-2021 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Added clarification of paying for non-safety related updates
Appreciate 1
Mikiee27.50
      03-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #68
sviswan
Ultimate driving machine
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Not as dramatic but seems to be somewhat improved. Very subjective though and could just be placebo effect. Here were some comments I shared in that other thread:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=19
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=22
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=24

As many of the ISTA/P updates contain what BMW must ascertain as important improvements to their total vehicle systems’ code, it’s tough for me to believe that BMW Dealerships would be scared or worried about providing them for fear of an operating system failure. Seems that we as consumers owning current model line vehicles would want (and have a right to) the most current and improved operating system for our vehicles, and I don’t consider it a frivolous request. Understandably, as technology improves one would not expect BMW to keep updating older model lines, just as many digital product companies have a defined span during which updates to firmware and software are provided. I’d be on the phone with BMW NA if I wanted to pay for an approved/sanctioned BMW ISTA update and it was refused by a Dealership. Why produce an important update if it’s so dangerous that Svc Ctrs are hesitant to do the install? I can foresee some issues in the future with OTA ISTA updates being problematic, but hopefully one can obtain a download of them OTA then have the option of manually installing when one can attach a trickle charger if that’s an important aspect. Aren’t similar system updates by Tesla already being done OTA and without Dealer assistance?

Edit: to be clear so there aren't any misconceptions, I'm referencing paying for non-safety-related ISTA updates (BMW already provides those involving safety for free). I am not getting into the debate as to whether all updates (even non-safety-related) should or shouldn't be provided for free. Just indicating IMO if I own a current model line BMW, and a non-safety-related ISTA update is available, that I should have the ability to pay to have it installed and not be bound to the whims of a Dealership denying such.

07 e92 328i, montego blue, saddle brown, poplar wood trim, premium, sport, cold weather, logic7, and navigation.---SOLD 2/13.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #69
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviswan View Post
Max well is your feedback on the istep update the same as the OP with respect to suspension comfort?

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=19
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=22
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=24

Quote:
... An istep update is akin to reformatting a computer - hence why all of the settings are reset to factory default. It requires the car to be put on a battery charger, along with other procedures, and there is a risk of bricking the car just like any other piece of technology. Hence, most dealers will be hesitant to do this on a whim even if you are willing to pay. If you have an established relationship with your SA and have a good service department, you have a chance of getting it done. However, this isn't something you can just walk in and ask for with success.
As many of the ISTA/P updates contain what BMW must ascertain as important improvements to their total vehicle systems' code, it's tough for me to believe that BMW Dealerships would be scared or worried about providing them for fear of an operating system failure. Seems that we as consumers owning current model line vehicles would want (and have a right to) the most current and improved operating system for our vehicles, and I don't consider it a frivolous request. Understandably, as technology improves one would not expect BMW to keep updating older model lines, just as many digital product companies have a defined span during which updates to firmware and software are provided. I'd be on the phone with BMW NA if I wanted to pay for an approved/sanctioned BMW ISTA update and it was refused by a Dealership. Why produce an important update if it's so dangerous that Svc Ctrs are hesitant to do the install? I can foresee some issues in the future with OTA ISTA updates being problematic, but hopefully one can obtain a download of them OTA then have the option of manually installing when one can attach a trickle charger if that's an important aspect. Aren't similar system updates by Tesla already being done OTA and without Dealer assistance?

I'm not debating that dealerships SHOULD do the update, paid or unpaid, but in my experience following this process on the F80s it is difficult, and well documented amongst many BMW models. Most dealers don't give a damn about giving current owners the best possible experience, it's a hassle for them. People need to have realistic expectations.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #70
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not debating that dealerships SHOULD do the update, paid or unpaid, but in my experience following this process on the F80s it is difficult, and well documented amongst many BMW models. Most dealers don't give a damn about giving current owners the best possible experience, it's a hassle for them. People need to have realistic expectations.
Then report the Dealership to BMW NA.

Having briefly reviewed the issues you discuss on different sub-Forums spanning 10 years, seems many of the problems resulted from wanting them for free or if the vehicle was tuned or modified against warranty provisions, and being denied when different scenarios were raised which didn't pass the bar.

My research was cursory so I could be wrong on that perception, but really, this is no different than asking to pay for an oil service. Someone owns a BMW. That BMW has a BMW-sanctioned firmware/software update available which provides what BMW's Engineers deem as important improvements to their vehicles' systems-wide code. Individual goes to BMW Dealership's Svc Ctr and states here is my check/credit card/cash. Do it.

If the SA gives a hassle, speak to the Chief Technician, if he/she gives a hassle, speak to the Svc Manager. If the Svc Manager gives a hassle, speak to the General Mgr. If the Gen Mgr gives a hassle, speak to BMW NA and ask why they even came out with the update if someone can't purchase it, and report the Dealership to them.

Still suspect most of the issues you describe surround those wanting it for free or with confounding variables. This isn't difficult to accomplish.
Appreciate 3
RoWoX3M401.00
DAC17170.50
      03-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #71
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Just an FYI to everyone getting this update. If you are coded, it will reset your coding.

That being said, it's far far smoother coming to a stop and at start. The lane keeping tech also works A LOT better.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 06:53 PM   #72
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post
Just an FYI to everyone getting this update. If you are coded, it will reset your coding.

That being said, it's far far smoother coming to a stop and at start. The lane keeping tech also works A LOT better.
Any real difference in ride quality?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #73
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
OK, its a long one but it might help...

My 2020 was an early build, 15 Oct 19, with Factory 1 Level (19-07-553) software.

It was a demo that I got 1 year after delivery (5 Dec 20). From day 1, I had all kind of glitches that had no relation between each other as well as the Tilt Down Mirror not coming back no matter you try except using the joystick. Also the Remote Service only work 3 times out of 100 tried.

I had the car in twice in for the mirror problem and like magic they could not replicate the problem. The second time, I try it in the shop and it work... I left the shop, drove around the building, park and went in the see my sales men. When I left put the car in reverse, mirror go down, put in in drive and the fuchen mirror stay down. Drove back to the shop and got the shop foremen out. After spending 20 minutes in the car trying to figure out what was wrong, he gave up. I told him that there was something wrong with the software. He said no unless I had an Over the Air Update... Really SP15 with 2019 software!!!

So I book another visit and told them to have BMW America authorized a Software Update because I had enough of this crap.

So I took the car in yesterday and today I got a call that everything is working. They replace the right mirror (not sure about that) and update the software. Sure enough everything is working. So far I notice 4 different thing with this update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:14 PM   #74
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

JJ 911SC - What's different about the fuel level indicator... ?

Ooops, I meant to say the temperature level indicator.

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///

Last edited by Kevin_The_Clean1; 03-26-2021 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:02 AM   #75
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
OK, its a long one but it might help...

My 2020 was an early build, 15 Oct 19, with Factory 1 Level (19-07-553) software.

It was a demo that I got 1 year after delivery (5 Dec 20). From day 1, I had all kind of glitches that had no relation between each other as well as the Tilt Down Mirror not coming back no matter you try except using the joystick. Also the Remote Service only work 3 times out of 100 tried.

I had the car in twice in for the mirror problem and like magic they could not replicate the problem. The second time, I try it in the shop and it work... I left the shop, drove around the building, park and went in the see my sales men. When I left put the car in reverse, mirror go down, put in in drive and the fuchen mirror stay down. Drove back to the shop and got the shop foremen out. After spending 20 minutes in the car trying to figure out what was wrong, he gave up. I told him that there was something wrong with the software. He said no unless I had an Over the Air Update... Really SP15 with 2019 software!!!

So I book another visit and told them to have BMW America authorized a Software Update because I had enough of this crap.

So I took the car in yesterday and today I got a call that everything is working. They replace the right mirror (not sure about that) and update the software. Sure enough everything is working. So far I notice 4 different thing with this update.
Do you have an x3m? You have a 2020 and ID7?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:35 AM   #76
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Do you have an x3m? You have a 2020 and ID7?
No, X3 M40i with iDrive 7
Attached Images

Last edited by JJ 911SC; 03-28-2021 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:47 AM   #77
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
JJ 911SC - What's different about the fuel level indicator... ?

Ooops, I meant to say the temperature level indicator.

They add a vehicle...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 11:07 AM   #78
AlonBabaev
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw f10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
That’s correct

I don’t offer this as a service. If you slip your SA some cash and make up a story about how nav or CarPlay doesn’t work, they can usually get the update done on book time.

Not automatically but now allows you to code in full screen with BimmerCode.
So only when you update from bmw, you can code in full screen Apple CarPlay?
Or did BimmerCode release an update to be able to do so?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #79
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Just got home from updating the software. No placebo effect. The transmission and suspension were definitely tweaked for the better. Shift points in all three settings are adjusted and just feel like shifts are where they should be now. Felt like they were slightly off before. Shifts themselves also feel smoother. In slow speed situations the trans would sometimes feel bogged down but that's now gone. I also experienced a weird clunk sound when reversing...also gone. The dampening also feels improved to me in all three settings. Not a huge difference but again noticeably better. The thuds I would feel over choppy roads appear minimized. The out of pocket expense was worth it in my view. Very pleased.
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #80
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Did you do the update at a dealer? If so was the cost fixed or did the dealer charge for 8 hours at like $160-180/hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Just got home from updating the software. No placebo effect. The transmission and suspension were definitely tweaked for the better. Shift points in all three settings are adjusted and just feel like shifts are where they should be now. Felt like they were slightly off before. Shifts themselves also feel smoother. In slow speed situations the trans would sometimes feel bogged down but that's now gone. I also experienced a weird clunk sound when reversing...also gone. The dampening also feels improved to me in all three settings. Not a huge difference but again noticeably better. The thuds I would feel over choppy roads appear minimized. The out of pocket expense was worth it in my view. Very pleased.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 05:58 AM   #81
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Did you do the update at a dealer? If so was the cost fixed or did the dealer charge for 8 hours at like $160-180/hour?
At the Dealership - $180 fixed (not per hour). I waited on mine as only took 2 hours (which included wash/vac).
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:11 AM   #82
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Quote:
At the Dealership - $180 fixed (not per hour). I waited on mine as only took 2 hours (which included wash/vac).
Quote:
Quote:
Any issues with BM3 after the update? Did you tell your SA you are tuned?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:30 AM   #83
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Mine was fixed as well 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #84
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
I'm stock so can't help you there, but ZTZ1010 mentioned BM3 in post #35 [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=35 ], and cookiesowns in #49 [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=49 ].
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #85
MJDBMW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDBMW View Post
I'm stock so can't help you there, but ZTZ1010 mentioned BM3 in post #35 [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=35 ], and cookiesowns in #49 [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=49 ].
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #86
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingmongoose View Post

Any real difference in ride quality?
Yes noticeably smoother. I was on winter tires, just changed back to my shitty Conti summer tires and it's still much smoother. Doesn't get as unsettled as much. It's a pretty drastic improvement. As others have reported, coming to a stop and at a start it's a lot less jerky too. They def tweaked the transmission a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #87
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Before knowing the fix could improve shift smoothness and response, and improved ride quality, I couldn't say it did just that but its definitely improved since mine was updated.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #88
SmogTM
Rep
Drives: '21 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
They add a vehicle...
A bit off topic, but how is your cluster looking like that? I mean the full red color and the torque gauges like that? Mine has red squares (like pic below) and the meters appear as horizontal line rather than boomerang ones like yours. I have a 2021 X3M Competition.

[IMG]
free image hosting[/IMG]
Appreciate 0