BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #45
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHATTI View Post
This happened with my first X3MC. It was a launch vehicle and had a bunch of problems. Dealer bought it back and sorted me into a new one. 2nd time was a charm.
First year vehicles (especially as complexity increases) can be troublesome. I am glad to learn the buyback was accepted by BMW.
Appreciate 1
KHATTI418.00
      07-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #46
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Quote:
This happened with my first X3MC. It was a launch vehicle and had a bunch of problems. Dealer bought it back and sorted me into a new one. 2nd time was a charm.
First year vehicles (especially as complexity increases) can be troublesome. I am glad to learn the buyback was accepted by BMW.
It was actually pretty straight forward. I'm a long time customer and they took care of me with what I felt was an extremely fair resolution.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #47
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
No regrets and I would do it again. It's a great performance focused SUV by BMW M....I take that with all the Pros and slight compromises that are entailed with anything that is a "combination" of sorts.

I don't think the ride is harsh at all, it's a BMW M.... Yes, maybe some feel it might be a bit stiffer than they expected given that its a luxury SUV, but maybe thats why the X3M and the M40i co-exist in the segment. Plus for me, I rather have suspension that leans on the stiffer side than the softer side in a performance focused application. As a notation to this, all of my past cars have had springs or coilovers on them, but all my of wife's cars have been stock suspension.... different purposes and preferences.

MPGs aren't the greatest, but that isn't a priority to me when specifically getting a 500hp SUV. Though, my F80 M3 did have really good freeway MPG...but I also chalk that up to the aerodynamics between a sedan and SUV....that also happens to be AWD and 1000 lbs heavier.

Lastly, the X3MC is my best choice given that my F80 lease was up and the new G80 hasn't been released. Coming from performance sedans and coupes, this is my first SUV (SUV duty has always been on my wife) and I can say that I am happy and content. Plus this early exposure to the S58 engine has also sealed it for me that I will jumping into a G80 as my next lease
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
      07-21-2020, 04:09 PM   #48
Abbot26
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Supplying dealer has been awful, the head-of-business is just about one sentence away from getting my fist rammed in his face, arrogant pr!ck
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #49
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbot26 View Post
Huge regrets, nothing but trouble with mine, am just about to complete buy-back from supplying dealer. I’ll put a new thread up here to warn everyone what happened and which car to avoid for those thinking of buying one
Sorry to hear that, I've had a lot of issues/niggles with mine, the US factory isn't up to scratch that's for sure, hope it gets sorted.
      07-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #50
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbot26 View Post
Quote:
Supplying dealer has been awful, the head-of-business is just about one sentence away from getting my fist rammed in his face, arrogant pr!ck
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you get resolution. Will you stay with the F97 or move on?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #51
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Yes, confirmed I had this done when they did the last software recall fix as well as the SIB/software fix for the 3D Remote fix
Can you post the details or IM them to me? I was not confident that the SA knew what he was talking about.

I have to bring it in again for the TPMS that they didn’t fix the first time so I might as well try this again.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #52
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
No regrets and I would do it again. It's a great performance focused SUV by BMW M....I take that with all the Pros and slight compromises that are entailed with anything that is a "combination" of sorts.

I don't think the ride is harsh at all, it's a BMW M.... Yes, maybe some feel it might be a bit stiffer than they expected given that its a luxury SUV, but maybe thats why the X3M and the M40i co-exist in the segment. Plus for me, I rather have suspension that leans on the stiffer side than the softer side in a performance focused application. As a notation to this, all of my past cars have had springs or coilovers on them, but all my of wife's cars have been stock suspension.... different purposes and preferences.

MPGs aren't the greatest, but that isn't a priority to me when specifically getting a 500hp SUV. Though, my F80 M3 did have really good freeway MPG...but I also chalk that up to the aerodynamics between a sedan and SUV....that also happens to be AWD and 1000 lbs heavier.

Lastly, the X3MC is my best choice given that my F80 lease was up and the new G80 hasn't been released. Coming from performance sedans and coupes, this is my first SUV (SUV duty has always been on my wife) and I can say that I am happy and content. Plus this early exposure to the S58 engine has also sealed it for me that I will jumping into a G80 as my next lease
Man, turns out Alpina B3 also got the S58 and it looks way better than G80 imo. Euro people even get the B3 wagon. What a shame. This car alone is reason enough to move to Germany.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      07-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #53
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Man, turns out Alpina B3 also got the S58 and it looks way better than G80 imo. Euro people even get the B3 wagon. What a shame. This car alone is reason enough to move to Germany.
We agree on so many topics, but I still prefer a lowered F97 over this on sheer estethtics... And that's not just cuz I'm already bought in.. Odd, because I do appreciate euro wagons typically,but I expected something radically different when the S58 was placed on a euro wagon. Maybe it's a concept photo without the proper M trim?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:04 PM   #54
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Zero regrets, the ride is fine. X3mc with vented seats and slick top
      07-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #55
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
We agree on so many topics, but I still prefer a lowered F97 over this on sheer estethtics... And that's not just cuz I'm already bought in.. Odd, because I do appreciate euro wagons typically,but I expected something radically different when the S58 was placed on a euro wagon. Maybe it's a concept photo without the proper M trim?
I’m not comparing with F97. This was to compare the upcoming G80 M3 with the Alpina B3.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #56
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
I’m not comparing with F97. This was to compare the upcoming G80 M3 with the Alpina B3.
Ah, then that comparison makes more sense....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:32 AM   #57
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Quote:
Yes, confirmed I had this done when they did the last software recall fix as well as the SIB/software fix for the 3D Remote fix
Can you post the details or IM them to me? I was not confident that the SA knew what he was talking about.

I have to bring it in again for the TPMS that they didn't fix the first time so I might as well try this again.
I'm sorry I don't keep my invoices since all the work they've done on my car's over the years is in their systems. I don't need all that paper stored in my office lol

EDIT: to clarify, the vehicle went in for the emissions fix (2nd recall) and during that visit they also updated the software to March 2020 from July 2019 to fix the 3D Remote issue. They advised that this update would also address the tailgate issue. I posted the SIB # here somewhere but can't find my post. Hope that helps somewhat
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #58
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Wow that B3 is a nice package!

I'll still prob end up with a G80 I'm an "M3" person...(I guess the X3M, counts too) ...I've had 3 of them since the E46 generation. In time, the front will grow on me...just like all the previous ones... but I know the S58 will bring the even if the front grill doesn't.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
      07-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #59
pebblebeach
BMW Addict
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 6MT

No regrets at all. I sold my 2019 Mercedes C63S and do not miss that car at all. When my M3 lease was up last summer, I decided to give the Mercedes a go when I should have just stuck with BMW.

Both the Mercedes and the X3 are US-built cars yet the X3 feels much tighter and better assembled. The Mercedes had unacceptable gaps and misalignment between body panels, the interior parts would squeak when pushed, the infotainment was slow and unresponsive. Aside from looking beautiful and awesome power, I wasn't happy.

The X3M rides great for me, the power feels faster than the C63, it's loaded with options and I got a great deal. I even got 23+ mpg last weekend on a short road trip. I hope you like yours just as much.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7836.00
      07-22-2020, 12:51 PM   #60
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Pwr View Post
Quote:
Wow that B3 is a nice package!

I'll still prob end up with a G80 I'm an "M3" person...(I guess the X3M, counts too) ...I've had 3 of them since the E46 generation. In time, the front will grow on me...just like all the previous ones... but I know the S58 will bring the even if the front grill doesn't.
You don't see the front end from the drivers seat but Id want my 80k + car to be pretty close to perfect. G8x isn't happening for me, flat out no.

I have to say this thread helped put me over the top. I've only had mine for a day but some of the quibbles I've noticed are the the idrive buttons feel cheaper compared to my 4 series. It should've been offered with remote start(like the x5). Speaking of the x5 I'd like to have seen the heated armrests in this, the armrest does feel a little cheaper as well. I don't think any of us are buying this car for those features tho.

I haven't really been listening to music, just enjoying the natural soundtrack, but I'm sure the HK audio will be sufficient for me. I love it in my 4series, as long as it's still the same I'll be happy, but I'm not an audiophile by any means.

The spare tire/cargo area could have been designed better so there's no hump. Oh and it's a 2020 with NO USB-C ports? Cmon BMW.

As far as the stiffness goes. I bought it the day after tweaking my back. Is it firm? Yes. Is it unbearable? Not at all. Roads around me (near Augusta, GA) are ok but not great. Plenty of dips and potholes and giant speed bumps, etc.

All that said, so far so good. And I couldn't have purchased a similarly optioned Macan S anywhere near what I was able to get mine for.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #61
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't keep my invoices since all the work they've done on my car's over the years is in their systems. I don't need all that paper stored in my office lol

EDIT: to clarify, the vehicle went in for the emissions fix (2nd recall) and during that visit they also updated the software to March 2020 from July 2019 to fix the 3D Remote issue. They advised that this update would also address the tailgate issue. I posted the SIB # here somewhere but can't find my post. Hope that helps somewhat
Thanks I’ll search for it. I had my break in service done in late May which included a software update. I just tried to open the hatch via the key fob with the vehicle locked and it popped right open.

Meanwhile, I have to keep the key fob button pressed in order to close it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #62
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I regret my X4M Comp purchase and wish I still had my F80, I'm still under 5K miles but have yet to "connect" with it, haven't even taken a picture of it.

Issues
1. Boost lag is real, both my F80s and the Audis I had before them had much better instant power. This thing is fast when it hits but it does take a few seconds.

2. The seat bottom is either too narrow or maybe the seat as a whole is just too far to the middle of the car, I like to put my left foot on the foot rest but in doing so in this car my leg sits on top of the bolster and it just makes everything really uncomfortable. I'm 6'1" 200 Lbs so not huge, I've seen many others say they have the same issue. There does seem to be a much larger space between the seat and the door than usual so that's why I wonder if its just a seat positioning thing. The seats look and feel great to the touch but this issue has made the car too uncomfortable for me. (This is probably the largest issue)

3. I don't think I'm an SUV guy, I miss the looks of a sport sedan. Or maybe the X3/4Ms just are not aggressive enough for me.

4. Toronto Red is a pretty cool color but I normally tend to blues but I didn't like Phytonic enough, would have loved to see something closer to SMB.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:13 AM   #63
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

No regrets, but I do wish it had a full leather option, & available or standard tow hitch. I've considering the e-trailer hitch that someone had linked to in another thread, but it keeps creeping up in price, so I haven't pulled the trigger on it. I may get the Stealth Hitch, but I'm waiting for them to offer a discount code before I do that, too. I'm not an audiophile, so the standard sound system is fine for me.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      07-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #64
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Love my X3M CP. Had it for 8 months and 4500 miles. Today I finally got rid of a major negative swapping out the Continentals for Michelins - massive difference.

No issues with my car to date.

Negatives:
- Loud suspension boom over broken surfaces
- Horrendous tyre wear on the Conti's (4.5k and 2mm left on the rears)

Positives:
- Epic performance
- Great handling for such a big car
- Amazing interior although I wish it had a leather dash

Should have specced:
- Parking Assistant+ for the better camera views

Not even thinking about swapping, but pretty sure it will be the new M3 when it gets LCI'd or a used M5 CP.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.

Last edited by moff; 07-27-2020 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      07-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #65
Michael19887
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i & 2020 X3MC

I've had my X3MC for just over 1 year and am at about 4,500 miles. I do love the car, but as others have noted there are a few flaws that you should consider before purchasing the car.

Strengths
1. Outstanding steering and handling. Sport+ steering perfectly weighted to my preference for heavy steering, and I never use the other settings.
2. Great interior, minus lack of full leather option.
3. Strong brakes with great pedal feel.
4. Interior room, to the extent your family and friends can enjoy the extra room while getting beat up by the ride.
5. MPG is actually better in both city and highway than in my 2017 Macan S, which is lighter, smaller and less powerful than the X3M

Cons
1. Ride quality and suspension. I like a firm ride connected to the road and this is not my first BMW; but the X3MC ride quality on city roads is probably the worst I've encountered in any vehicle. The ride never feels settled (bouncy, jittery) and potholes violently shake the cabin. It is bad at slow speeds and even worse with 3 passengers in the car. Take the car on a long test drive over roads of varying quality before purchasing. I am getting MSS urban installed soon to help with this.
2. Engine takes a few seconds to warm up from a standstill at stoplights in daily driving, but is a beast when it's unleashed.
3. Positioning of the spare tire in the trunk. The hump makes it easy for groceries and other items to fall out after sliding when the tailgate is opening. WeatherTech trunk liner has helped with this.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7836.00
      07-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #66
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
I've had my X3MC for just over 1 year and am at about 4,500 miles. I do love the car, but as others have noted there are a few flaws that you should consider before purchasing the car.

Strengths
1. Outstanding steering and handling. Sport+ steering perfectly weighted to my preference for heavy steering, and I never use the other settings.
2. Great interior, minus lack of full leather option.
3. Strong brakes with great pedal feel.
4. Interior room, to the extent your family and friends can enjoy the extra room while getting beat up by the ride.
5. MPG is actually better in both city and highway than in my 2017 Macan S, which is lighter, smaller and less powerful than the X3M

Cons
1. Ride quality and suspension. I like a firm ride connected to the road and this is not my first BMW; but the X3MC ride quality on city roads is probably the worst I've encountered in any vehicle. The ride never feels settled (bouncy, jittery) and potholes violently shake the cabin. It is bad at slow speeds and even worse with 3 passengers in the car. Take the car on a long test drive over roads of varying quality before purchasing. I am getting MSS urban installed soon to help with this.
2. Engine takes a few seconds to warm up from a standstill at stoplights in daily driving, but is a beast when it's unleashed.
3. Positioning of the spare tire in the trunk. The hump makes it easy for groceries and other items to fall out after sliding when the tailgate is opening. WeatherTech trunk liner has helped with this.
Great summary, Michael. MSS is definitely going to improve the ride.
Appreciate 0