BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-26-2020, 04:05 PM   #89
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Kind of getting a little out of control. It seems like it's happening to all colors so I'm wondering it if it's something to do with the preparation and painting.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #90
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Yup - my rear bumper is showing signs of paint peeling, too. It's being fixed under warranty, but I'm a bit surprised that so many of us seem to have this issue. I'll have to ask if this is something they're seeing across the board, or only on the X3M line. Not sure the SA will know.

I think we'll have PPF put on the bumper after I get it back. I'd like to add something to keep the top of the bumper from getting scratched as I load & unload the hatch, anyway.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)

Last edited by Macanakey; 08-28-2020 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #91
puregreddy
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White

add me to the list of owners with paint peeling.

I will get pics posted soon, it's currently at the dealer for the break-in service.

I noticed a small amount of paint chipping away on the passenger side bumper, pretty much the same location as everybody else. It is very minor.

I also have some paint peeling up on the rear window spoiler.

The service advisor said it didn't look like paint peel, it looked like damage from a detailer. He's going to have his manager take a look.

Those of you who have had their paint repaired, was it a hassle to get warranty coverage?

Since this is a lease, I suppose I can just mask it with paint protection film and let it become this dealer's problem 3 years from now.

I'm coming from a Tesla, I expected a lot more from BMW service........the bar was set very very low at Tesla........
Attached Images

Last edited by puregreddy; 08-28-2020 at 12:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #92
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregreddy View Post
add me to the list of owners with paint peeling.

I will get pics posted soon, it's currently at the dealer for the break-in service.

I noticed a small amount of paint chipping away on the passenger side bumper, pretty much the same location as everybody else. It is very minor.

I also have some paint peeling up on the rear window spoiler.

The service advisor said it didn't look like paint peel, it looked like damage from a detailer. He's going to have his manager take a look.

Those of you who have had their paint repaired, was it a hassle to get warranty coverage?

Since this is a lease, I suppose I can just mask it with paint protection film and let it become this dealer's problem 3 years from now.

I'm coming from a Tesla, I expected a lot more from BMW service........the bar was set very very low at Tesla........
Nope not from detail. I checked other X3Ms on my dealer's lot and they have it too. Some slightly less but all colors affected. I have a tick under 500 miles on mine and only washed it myself once. That's the only reason I noticed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #93
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Mine has started to peel. Very slight as you can see but I had my bumper repainted (allegedly all of it) before taking delivery because it had some scratches on it. In theory I shouldn't have any peeling so not sure what gives. Got it in May, 2000 miles or so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #94
Bmwtech113
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
My spoiler is peeling as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 01:43 AM   #95
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

I'm really really hoping they are checking the '21s.
      08-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #96
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by puregreddy View Post
No issue whatsoever. I actually asked them to check while they had it & they called back to tell me that it was peeling & that they'd fix it.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #97
BavarianPrince
(LTG)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHATTI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf97 View Post
Same issue here peeling at the rear bumper but as of right now it's not visible unless your under the car. I reached out to the dealer and was told to bring it in for inspection which I did Friday morning.
I spoke to the service advisor and explained it was discovered by the ceramic pro installer and something would have be done about them having it coated again.
I got a call back today and he told me they will be taking care of it and the service Dept can do the ceramic pro also.

I have 2 questions
One is if they paint the bumper can they do ceramic pro right away?

Second question

He asked if I needed a loaner and I told him I did, I also told him I didn't want a regular X3 since I felt it was a major downgrade. So I want to know what should I tell him I'm willing to accept? I'm thinking just tell him I'm fine with any M vehicle? I'm new to BMW and the loaners.

Thanks for the help
Doubt they have m loaners, but it's possible. I've gotten an x5 the last two times and they're nice. They have heated doors and armrests.
BMW of West Houston actually has an X3M as a loaner. Or at least they did.....
Welcome to the club. I have never had a loaner nicer then my car. Might want to try being grateful they have a BMW for you to drive period...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #98
TdoggX3MCOMP
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Comp

Add me to the list of DG with paint peeling off rear spoiler!! I am absolutely beside myself. My car only has 1200 miles on it, has been garaged since day one, never been driven in the rain or snow yet. Wtf is going on? This is my 2nd new BMW and needless to say I am beyond disappointed in the quality on both my vehicles to say the least, but the X3M Comp takes it to a whole new level. I haven't seen this type of issue in 20 years of buying new cars. My 19 X5 M sport edition (Alpine White) also had paint damage in the front right quarter panel among other interior issues with the seats. I couldn't tell is it was like that from the factory or a nice dealer installed scratch. Either way this is complete BS from this level of a brand.
The other huge issue I am having with the X3MC is paint itself over the WHOLE car is extremely thin! I brought my car to the only body shop I trust and his feedback after putting the paint meter all over my vehicle was "WOW this car barely has any paint on it". This obviously made me feel great after spending the type of money we all have on these cars. The paint is extremely susceptible to rock chips everywhere. I currently have 2 chips on the hood, 3 above the windshield , and 2 on the drivers side rear door. This is totally unacceptable especially when this vehicle has only been driven on the highway 3 times, Ive never followed closely behind any vehicle or heard any sort of ding off the car from road debris. Is anyone else having this issue ?
Finally my car is going in for its break-in service tomorrow and when I called the dealer and spoke to the Service Manager about my issues and concerns he of course blew it off and said that he's never seen a paint issue on a BMW which we all know is a lie. I also called BMW NA and voice my concerns and the rep I spoke with said that they may have to send someone out from BMW to look at the car or at least have the dealer send photos. Either way I am not letting this issue go unresolved and to be honest I cant believe that the only way this has been getting resolved is to repaint/touch up our brand new cars. I will follow up after my appointment. Thank you for starting this thread!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #99
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Paint peeling on rear spoiler and under rear bumper....
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #100
puregreddy
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White

I can add a followup to my earlier post in this thread, I had paint peeling on the rear spoiler and the dealer initially blamed a bad detail job. Weird as I never had the car detailed, it only had 1150 miles on it.

They did have to reach out to BMW NA for a decision. That decision came within 2 days and they got approval for repair/repaint....whatever.

I got a phone call from the SA after it was all done about a week later, he apologized for a bad assumption and then told me that they have had a few other X3m's come in with paint issues since mine. Maybe I just happened to be the first for this dealer.

In the end, be persistent that they reach out to BMW NA before just denying any warranty repair work.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #101
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

What is the warranty period for this coverage? Seems like it’s only a matter of time for me and I want to make sure I get in before it expires. Is it just the bumper to bumper? 36k?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:40 PM   #102
Newx3mowner
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

2020 X3M white, with 1200 miles. Just noticed my spoiler is beginning to peel. Nothing on the under side of the bumper as far as I can tell. Guess it'll be going in for a warranty claim soon. Disappointing a 70k+ car is having these issues
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:53 PM   #103
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Wow never had this issue before on any other bmws I have owned. Wtf

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:12 AM   #104
hellcat2m4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Guys also check the black plastic pieces under the spoiler with your phone led flashlight as this area is fading on mine and others.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #105
sittingmongoose
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 x3mC

I sure hope my 21 does not have this problem...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #106
Parnishka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedX3MC View Post
I have the same issue as well. The rear spoiler on mine has started to peel and flake off where it meets the glass, and on both corners of the spoiler. It is currently at the dealership getting the spoiler repainted under warranty. The service manager had to contact BMW for approval. Wednesday will make two weeks they have had the vehicle. I've also had issues with the bottom trim on the doors being misaligned, Driver side mirror had a visual defect, and Competition badge coming off tailgate. This is my first brand new BMW and I'm not to impressed to say the least.
wow. that's crazy man. this and that and that. I feel bad when I'm hearing anything like that from people who has an M car. BMW has to put more attention to the M line. so frustrating paying such money to have shit like this. shame!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:43 AM   #107
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

How any dealers can be trying to get out of this is just insane.

It’s such a widely reported issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #108
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

First I have to say the dealer has given me no issues about making it right or owning up to the paint issue. I was told by the service manager that build dates prior to June 2020 were affected.

I had also purchased the Mperformance spoiler and they said they'd paint that and put it on at no charge due to the issue. It took forever at the paint shop and they couldn't figure out the mperf piece. They changed out the bottom black piece (which also apparently has fading issues - mine did not at this point) and repainted my original spoiler and put it back on. They gave me back the car since I was tired of the base x3 and I explained how the mperf piece was supposed to be installed and the service manager said they'd send out the mperf G01 piece to get painted and adhere the top part once it got back. After that I can come back and they'd swap out the spoilers.

I live less than 3 miles from the dealership. Once I got home it was already peeling again. Also once I got home I noticed a bunch of other paint issues but since it already needs repainted and it's only on until they get the mperf piece done it's not driving me nuts.

Obviously I went back to show the service manager the issues and he said they'd repaint it of course and he assured me that he would inspect the mperf panel to make sure it's perfect before they install it.

Btw, they think it's the bottom black piece that is making contact (thru vibrations and whatnot) with the body colored top part that causes the peeling.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #109
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
First I have to say the dealer has given me no issues about making it right or owning up to the paint issue. I was told by the service manager that build dates prior to June 2020 were affected.

I had also purchased the Mperformance spoiler and they said they'd paint that and put it on at no charge due to the issue. It took forever at the paint shop and they couldn't figure out the mperf piece. They changed out the bottom black piece (which also apparently has fading issues - mine did not at this point) and repainted my original spoiler and put it back on. They gave me back the car since I was tired of the base x3 and I explained how the mperf piece was supposed to be installed and the service manager said they'd send out the mperf G01 piece to get painted and adhere the top part once it got back. After that I can come back and they'd swap out the spoilers.

I live less than 3 miles from the dealership. Once I got home it was already peeling again. Also once I got home I noticed a bunch of other paint issues but since it already needs repainted and it's only on until they get the mperf piece done it's not driving me nuts.

Obviously I went back to show the service manager the issues and he said they'd repaint it of course and he assured me that he would inspect the mperf panel to make sure it's perfect before they install it.

Btw, they think it's the bottom black piece that is making contact (thru vibrations and whatnot) with the body colored top part that causes the peeling.
I would not paint the MPE rear wing and vinyl wrap it instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #110
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

So I went in today to tell them not to paint it. I said id rather have a good black paint job then a bad red one. But it was already sent out. Also since the G01 spoiler doesn't overlap the bottom piece peeling won't be an issue.
Appreciate 0