BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Bimmercode ASD Disable - Not Sure if it Worked

As the title states, I disabled ASD through Bimmercode.

However, I am finding that it seems it is still present. I haven’t gotten to drive the car that much but on my short trip to the train station I feel as if the ASD sound is there.

The button is lit and when I turn it off it seems to make a difference. I am not sure at this point if it is just the louder sound from the exhaust when cold as I usually wait until stopped to turn it off.

I know I can pull a fuse or use a bypass module but I am looking to avoid that if I can.

Can anyone with Bimmercode who disabled ASD confirm it is working and advise as to the behavior of the light on the button (on or off) when disabled?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

The button will still work with ASD off. It also asks car to close exhaust flap when possible with green light off. With ASD off you should be hearing more noise from the exhaust rather than the ‘engine’.

Put it in sport+ and accelerate hard. If it sounds really loud and dramatic inside the car, ASD is still on. If you just hear a rip from the exhaust and subtle engine creeping through the sound proofing, ASD is off.

Ps. I pulled a fuse.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #3
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
As the title states, I disabled ASD through Bimmercode.

However, I am finding that it seems it is still present. I haven’t gotten to drive the car that much but on my short trip to the train station I feel as if the ASD sound is there.

The button is lit and when I turn it off it seems to make a difference. I am not sure at this point if it is just the louder sound from the exhaust when cold as I usually wait until stopped to turn it off.

I know I can pull a fuse or use a bypass module but I am looking to avoid that if I can.

Can anyone with Bimmercode who disabled ASD confirm it is working and advise as to the behavior of the light on the button (on or off) when disabled?
Bimmercode ASD disable works fine on my car at least.

The light for the exhaust button will now (once ASD disabled) will control exhaust valves in Sport and Sport+ only.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Thanks to both for the replies.

Perhaps what I am perceiving as ASD is actually the exhaust flap open?

I’ll have to do some further testing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

It should be VERY obvious when ASD is disabled. It's a very distinct artificial and loud sound (sounds mostly the same in all M models with ASD). Put it in sport+ and floor it and the cabin should be relatively silent with ASD disabled compared to when it is on.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
It should be VERY obvious when ASD is disabled. It's a very distinct artificial and loud sound (sounds mostly the same in all M models with ASD). Put it in sport+ and floor it and the cabin should be relatively silent with ASD disabled compared to when it is on.
I’ve only got ~400 miles on it and ASD is new to me as I never had a car with it (nor do I understand the point).

When I first got the car I felt “that sounds strange” and learned about it and how to turn it off.

What throws me is the inconsistency of the exhaust. When cold and in park it is very loud then quiets down. Conversely, my V8 truck with headers is very consistent.

I’m still in break in so I haven’t been flooring it but I’ll try a bit more gas.

It may just be easier to pull the fuse at this point though.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:19 PM   #7
Golf_GL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC Brooklyn Grey

Little confused with how ASD works. When I have it turned off in Bimmercode, the car is quieter. There are no shift noises and there is are faint burbles from the back. The sound increases with the exhaust button on. I thought this was all real.

Then I went into expert mode and played with selectively turning off upshift, downshift and burbles off with the main ASD toggle still on. This was much quieter and there was zero burbles regardless drive mode.

Either turning off ASD doesn't fully turn it off or turning off burbles also changes engine and exhaust programing (unlikely).

Anyone have a theory on what's happening?
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      01-18-2023, 08:49 PM   #8
cutnsew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M

Im not an ASD expert, or even intermediate, but the burbles are coming from your exhaust. There are different tunes you can do to accentuate them as well, but I don’t know enough to go into the mechanism as to how they work. Get a midpipe and they’re significantly more pronounced. Sounds great when slowing down in traffic with the windows down.
Appreciate 1
Golf_GL90.50
      01-21-2023, 09:36 PM   #9
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf_GL View Post
Little confused with how ASD works. When I have it turned off in Bimmercode, the car is quieter. There are no shift noises and there is are faint burbles from the back. The sound increases with the exhaust button on. I thought this was all real.

Then I went into expert mode and played with selectively turning off upshift, downshift and burbles off with the main ASD toggle still on. This was much quieter and there was zero burbles regardless drive mode.

Either turning off ASD doesn't fully turn it off or turning off burbles also changes engine and exhaust programing (unlikely).

Anyone have a theory on what's happening?
ASD (Active Sound Design) has nothing to do with the button we have on the center console. ASD is artificial sound sent through the speakers in the car. The center console button will open/close the physical exhaust flap IF, and ONLY if, the car is in Sport or Sport+ mode. I don't know, but that center console button may also control the exhaust flap in Comfort Mode when you go WOT (Wide Open Throttle).
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2023, 10:54 AM   #10
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
ASD (Active Sound Design) has nothing to do with the button we have on the center console. ASD is artificial sound sent through the speakers in the car. The center console button will open/close the physical exhaust flap IF, and ONLY if, the car is in Sport or Sport+ mode. I don't know, but that center console button may also control the exhaust flap in Comfort Mode when you go WOT (Wide Open Throttle).

In my experience the button on the center console only enables burbles in sprt/sport+ modes, it doesnt do the valves either. So in ASD it gives you the fart sounds as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 04:44 PM   #11
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
The center console button does open the exhaust flaps. You can hear the actuator open and close when you push it. There is also a noticable difference in exhaust tone.
Appreciate 1
DBU232.50
      01-25-2023, 06:09 PM   #12
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Back when I posted this I did some testing and the button does make a difference when in comfort mode as well (on my 2020 anyway).

Could be that the engine was cold, but I noticed it and turned it off often on my way to the train station because I wanted it quieter.
Appreciate 0