BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #23
viks23
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1

Angry X1 N20 engine

I am facing the same issue now .. a slack timing chain.
I reached out to BMW Canada and got a corporate run around of - we're not BMW North America, we're a separate entity .. and so, you're on your own.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #24
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Down South: https://timingchainmodulesettlement....-04-095009-000. Drive err till she blows...in the US...

"United States District Court for the District of New Jersey - If you are a current or former owner or lessee of a model-year 2012 to 2015 BMW vehicle,
you could get benefits from a class-action settlement.

A federal court has authorized this notice. This is not a solicitation from a lawyer.
• A nationwide settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit against BMW of North America, LLC, entitled
Gelis, et al. v. Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft and BMW of North America, LLC, Civil Action No. 2:17-cv07386, involving the timing chain and oil pump drive chain modules in certain model-year 2012 to 2015 BMW vehicles.
• The Settlement provides an opportunity to be reimbursed for certain past expenses and covered for certain future repairs.
• Your legal rights are affected whether you act or don’t act, so please read this notice carefully"

https://classactionsreporter.com/set...in-settlement/

BMW Timing Chain and Oil Pump Drive Chain Settlement

Settlement Structure: Claims Made

Active: Closed

Closed Settlement Statement:

According to court documents, the claim submission deadline has passed. Please contact the claims administrator if you have any questions.

Case Summary:
Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft and BMW of North America, LLC are settling a class action claiming that the timing chain or oil pump drive chain in certain BMW vehicles is defective. If these items fail, the complaint alleged, it could lead to sudden engine failure and loss of power.

Docket Number:
2:17-cv-07386

Company: BMW

Filing Deadline: March 18, 2021

Objection Deadline: January 19, 2021

Exclusion Deadline: January 19, 2021

Final Approval Hearing: February 16, 2021

Proof of Purchase:
You will have to provide various proofs, such as proof of ownership of the vehicle in question. See the claim form for a complete list.

Eligibility:
You may be eligible if you are a person or entity in the US, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, who is a current or former owner or lessee of certain US-specification BMW vehicles bought, leased, registered, and operated in the US, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. The vehicles at issue are listed below:

2012-2015 X1 SAV
2013-2015 X3 SAV
2015 X4 SAV
2012-2015 Z4
2014-2015 228i Coupe, Convertible
2012-2015 320i Sedan
2012-2015 328i Sedan, Sports Wagon, Gran Turismo
2014-2015 428i Coupe, Convertible, Gran Coupe
2012-2015 528i Sedan

Note that not all vehicles of these makes and models have the defective parts and that eligibility will also depend on production date ranges.

Typical Settlement Amount:
Full or partial reimbursement of costs for repairing and replacing a failed timing chain module, a failed oil pump drive chain module, and/or a failed engine id damaged due to failure of the timing chain or oil pump drive chain, per VIN and per owner/lessee, provided the failure occurred before the effective date of this settlement, and before eight years or 100,000 miles of the vehicle’s in-service date, and depending on whether repairs were done at a BMW service center or by a third-party. For details, see Item 6 in the Notice at https://timingchainmodulesettlement....-04-095009-000.

Total Settlement Amount: Unknown

Class Representative Proposed Incentive Fee:
Up to $1,500,000 in total

Law Firms:
Kantrowitz GoldHamer & Graifman PC
Law Offices of Thomas P. Sobran
Nagel Rice

Claim Form: BMW Timing Chain and Oil Pump Drive Chain Settlement Claim Form

Case Name: Gelis, et al. v. Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft and BMW of North America, LLC

Settlement Website: BMW Timing Chain and Oil Pump Drive Chain Settlement Website

Claims Administrator:
Rust Consulting

Claims Administrator Contact Information:
Gelis Claims Administrator
c/o Rust Consulting – 7080
PO Box 14
Minneapolis, MN 55440-0014
(866) 411-6985

Last edited by Bilbofraggins; 01-19-2022 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:03 AM   #25
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by viks23 View Post
I am facing the same issue now .. a slack timing chain.
I reached out to BMW Canada and got a corporate run around of - we're not BMW North America, we're a separate entity .. and so, you're on your own.
Still have an affected 2015 F25 in the family...with some 120k..

My lad has been briefed...but may be time to do our family BMW shuffle...I think he is around 125K

Just had the yearly inspection with the roadside thrown-in...they mentioned nothing...No problems at all!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:07 AM   #26
abedads@yahoo.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I had the same failure yesterday (Drivetrain malfunction/low oil) suddenly on a 2013 X3 and I live in Canada.

What are our options here - which class action is currently active?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #27
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by abedads@yahoo.com View Post
I had the same failure yesterday (Drivetrain malfunction/low oil) suddenly on a 2013 X3 and I live in Canada.

What are our options here - which class action is currently active?
You don't say how many miles the car has. I've read a number of these threads and the status of things in Canada has always seemed more murky than in the US. In the US you are now out of luck because the failure had to occur within 8 years of the in-service date. I'm guessing Canada does not have anything more lenient, if it had anything at all. My take on it is this - although everybody always says models into 2015 were affected, that is not really true. I did a pretty comprehensive search at one point because I was worried about my 2014, and quickly discovered that virtually every failure reported was a 2013. That is not chance. It is not possible for virtually all failures to occur in one year of a three year run if the issue is identical. It appears that although additional changes were made in 2015, a key change was made in late 2013. I think BMW knew this, which is why they were happy to settle the case at 8 years because all affected cars were about to pass the cutoff. They were in effect assuming no future liability. I think you are probably out of luck, and suing yourself as some have suggested will probably get you nowhere. If I were a judge I doubt I would award you anything on a 9 year old car. It can't go on forever. You are at more than twice the original warranty period. If it happened to me I'd probably drop in a used 2015 or later engine because with a blown engine the car is worth next to nothing. If your engine is not yet blown, do the repair. It's a crappy outcome, but life is too short.
Appreciate 0