BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-07-2023, 07:59 AM   #1
x3mdustin
Rep
Drives: x3m

Which winter tires you guys using?

My first winter with my x3m, and my summer tires were the Pirelli p zero rated to 300kmh, now I have new Happkalita 10 suv tires, tried them yesterday, and needless to say the car does not handle like the summer Pirellis, I know i can't expect to canyon carve on winters, or go over 190kmh with these rated tires anyway.....

so what is your experience with winter tires and the performance compared to high performance summer tires? I think the Nok are excellent for ice and snow which is my primary concern and need, but the performance is lacking.
Have any of you tried or have an excellent winter tire that was more comparable to a summer tire, I know I'm asking for a lot, but what have you guys experienced?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
PJ Gross
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 335x GT

My wife just got a ‘20 certified preowned X4M. Brand new all seasons from dealer.

After searching for OEM wheels, I just did a package from tire rack: pirelli scorpion winter 255/45-20 square with wheels/tpms, etc.

I always drive in M2, and on a 60f clear day, did so on the snow tires while resetting the tire sensors.

Did an aggressive start that became a drifty smoke show when I pulled a U-turn (Michigan left)….. I was expecting less traction under dry acceleration but didn’t realize how much less. And yes, clear rural 2 lane road, no traffic, large shoulders, etc. I was just scuffing up the new tires for her so she didn’t experience slickness.

It was just a test. I drove a 500hp CTS-V rear drive for 6 winters and never had an issue with blizzaks.

As soon as winters go on, I just become a different driver until spring…..

I never look for snows and performance in the same tire. Happkas have been my favorite snow tire used, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 09:22 AM   #3
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Winter tires will always be soft and spongy feeling, that's how they maintain maximum traction in snow and on ice. That is unfortunately something you will need to accept when going with a set. No winter tires will handle like a P Zero summer tire.

With that being said, there are two/three categories for winter tires. Studless Ice and Snow, Studable Winter and Snow and lastly Performance Winter and Snow.

Studless and Studable are all going to be the softest compound and perform best in deep snow and ice. They will feel more spongy than a performance winter tires but if you get a lot of snow this is the option I would go for.

Performance winters are designed for the freezing temps of winter and can handle moderate snow but deep snow they do not perform as well as studless/studable. The flip side, they handle much better on dry pavement.

I've had experience with MANY different winter tires and quite frankly they all handle differently lol. If you want a happy medium, I recommend a Michelin Pilot Alpin series. I run the PA4 N Spec on my X3M in the winter and it's been great. One of the better dry performance tires but still can handle snow when needed. I took my car up into northern Michigan last year and got caught in a blizzard on the way home. It handled everything perfectly.
      11-07-2023, 11:12 AM   #4
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

I think most people can get away with performance winters, especially with AWD. I ran studless R3 for my RWD Blackwing that I daily drove for 2 winters in MI. If I had to do it over, I would have went for a performance winter. You just don't get enough days where you're driving in heavy snow or slush to take that extra handling hit vs a good performance winter.

Last edited by strohw; 11-07-2023 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #5
gapband
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
Winter tires will always be soft and spongy feeling, that's how they maintain maximum traction in snow and on ice. That is unfortunately something you will need to accept when going with a set. No winter tires will handle like a P Zero summer tire.

With that being said, there are two/three categories for winter tires. Studless Ice and Snow, Studable Winter and Snow and lastly Performance Winter and Snow.

Studless and Studable are all going to be the softest compound and perform best in deep snow and ice. They will feel more spongy than a performance winter tires but if you get a lot of snow this is the option I would go for.

Performance winters are designed for the freezing temps of winter and can handle moderate snow but deep snow they do not perform as well as studless/studable. The flip side, they handle much better on dry pavement.

I've had experience with MANY different winter tires and quite frankly they all handle differently lol. If you want a happy medium, I recommend a Michelin Pilot Alpin series. I run the PA4 N Spec on my X3M in the winter and it's been great. One of the better dry performance tires but still can handle snow when needed. I took my car up into northern Michigan last year and got caught in a blizzard on the way home. It handled everything perfectly.
+1 on the Michelin Pilot Alpin tires. I'm running a set of Pilot Alpin 5 SUVs and rode on snow and ice last year with no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #6
fatalius
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV for me. Hardcore studless tyres for nordic climates, as there is often snow and ice in Sweden. If you even remotely consider driving occasionally on ice, performance winter tyres are a big no.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 01:43 PM   #7
x3mdustin
Rep
Drives: x3m

awesome guys, thanks for all your comments, I live in Quebec, and so we get lots of deep ice slush snow, freezing rain you name it. so I need the best tire for. these conditions possible, I know that Happa noks will perform, I just miss the blazing performance of the summer P zeros, understandably, ill just have to move to a warmer climate, lol.....ok great answers and you can't mix summer performance with winter, and I don't want to compromise for a winter performance up here in Quebec, maybe next time, but love my new x3m, what a vehicle......!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:38 AM   #8
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
Had Pirelli Scopions last winter on our first X5M. Never got them in snow unfortunately. Rig was totaled jn a hit and run. But before that, they were pretty damn good in the dry and amazing in the rain. Seemed to wear well too.

Got a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 4s for the X4M. I was thinking about Michelin CrossClimates, but their speed rating was only R. They’re not mounted yet,hopefully soon tho with winter coming. Haha.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:20 PM   #9
Golf_GL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC Brooklyn Grey

I have Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 SUV and used them last winter. No complaints, they were actually pretty good for regular driving, noise, handling etc. I actually appreciate the little bit of softness with the 20" diameter and extra sidewall for winter driving. They were great in snow, not spectacular in ice as expected. They are probably the best winters I've had, compared to past tires including (in descending order or preference) Sottozero 3, Gislaved Nordfrost5, X-ice, WS80 and Viking Snowtechs.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 01:48 PM   #10
Blackbird312
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC; 2017 M3 ZCP

Had my Pirelli Scorpions for the past 3 winters on my X3MC, great set, dad no issue with handlings in snow.
Did a ski trip last Christmas from Chicago to Aspen, handled pretty well on any condition - wet/muddy highways or during a medium to heavy snow on mountain roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 02:27 PM   #11
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
OEM Pirelli Scorpions. A great performance tire during the cold and dry winter months yet they're pretty horrible in any sort of snow/slush/ice. I felt like the X3M performed worse in snow conditions compared to the F80 M3 with Blizzaks.

that being said im in the NYC region and we haven't seen any sort of significant snow accumulation in nearly two years, so safe to say that the Pirellis will be fine for my needs. they really do handle well in dry weather and they're mighty comfortable too.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 01:05 PM   #12
Golf_GL
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC Brooklyn Grey

Pretty good review here

https://youtu.be/pHk8vG2a0x0?feature=shared
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 06:38 PM   #13
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Michelin Alpin if you can find them. The pirelli winter scorpion tires are going to lean on a bit more performance at the sacrifce of some snow and ice traction.

Like others said. You have to become a different driver in the winter. On the bright side when you swap the summers back on it is like driving a new car. It is awesome.

I am on season 4 of my Nokian R3's. Need a new set next year.
Appreciate 0