BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2023, 11:29 AM   #1
JayD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

X3M front diff and center transfer case gear oil change

Just aquired a 2021 X3M competition with 18k on odo. I also have an M2 and M3 and do my own service when I can so I know enough to be dangerous. I tend to over service the cars when it comes to fluid and filters. I changed the rear diff fluid on the X3M (no problem) and installed a magnetic drain plug since it doesn't come with one from the factory. The 1200 mile run in service was done by previous owner as well as 2 oil changes. I looked on you tube to see how to change the front diff and center transfer case. Seemed easy enough. Front diff has drain and fill plugs like rear and transfer case only has fill plug so you need to pump out old fluid. easy enough. problem is the front drain plug is blocked by the subframe. This was different than what I found online. I'm guessing the competition package has a different subframe????? How do you guys drain the front diff. thanks
Jay
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 11:51 AM   #2
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Just aquired a 2021 X3M competition with 18k on odo. I also have an M2 and M3 and do my own service when I can so I know enough to be dangerous. I tend to over service the cars when it comes to fluid and filters. I changed the rear diff fluid on the X3M (no problem) and installed a magnetic drain plug since it doesn't come with one from the factory. The 1200 mile run in service was done by previous owner as well as 2 oil changes. I looked on you tube to see how to change the front diff and center transfer case. Seemed easy enough. Front diff has drain and fill plugs like rear and transfer case only has fill plug so you need to pump out old fluid. easy enough. problem is the front drain plug is blocked by the subframe. This was different than what I found online. I'm guessing the competition package has a different subframe????? How do you guys drain the front diff. thanks
Jay

happy chanucka
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:08 PM   #3
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacosRule! View Post
happy chanucka
Hah. In other words you need a crows foot allen, and yes you're gonna get oil all over the freaking place
Appreciate 0