BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #45
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arube1 View Post
I am trying to decide between the two. The only things stopping me from getting the x3m is the firm ride and lack of idrive7... I drove both and was very impressed with the x3m . Just wish it had a somewhat softer ride . I only brought up the torque topic because I found it interesting but it felt great to me in that regard .
IDrive 7 isn't great so that shouldn't be an issue.

I don't really get your torque point and I am still confused as to the motivation for JA to raise it. It's always been a trait with M cars. In fact the F80 got criticised for too much torque low down and the E92 was even more peaky in power delivery than the X3M.

Day to day and driven properly there is no issue with low down torque. You can get caught out if you're in Efficient and need to blast from standing, but I quickly hit the M1 button and response is it an issue.

If you want lazy linear torque delivery the M40i is probably the car for you. But accept the major difference versus the X3M. One is a true M car and one isn't.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 2
dazzapb1050.00
RustyBitz1573.50
      01-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #46
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3M40i_Nev View Post
Your car needs changing in your profile Rusty
I know, still to lazy to change.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #47
arube1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi s5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

I don't really get your torque point and I am still confused as to the motivation for JA to raise it. It's always been a trait with M cars. In fact the F80 got criticised for too much torque low down and the E92 was even more peaky in power delivery than the X3M.

Day to day and driven properly there is no issue with low down torque. You can get caught out if you're in Efficient and need to blast from standing, but I quickly hit the M1 button and response is it an issue.

If you want lazy linear torque delivery the M40i is probably the car for you. But accept the major difference versus the X3M. One is a true M car and one isn't.
It wasn't really my torque point - i was just reiterating what Achilles and Pete said...thanks for the info...The day to day driving is fine with the suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #48
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It wasn't really my torque point - i was just reiterating what Achilles and Pete said...thanks for the info...The day to day driving is fine with the suspension?
Suspension gets significantly softer after it a few thousand miles. It basically ‘breaks in’. It is now on the same comfort level as the suspension on my previous X3 M40i (that i traded in to get the MC). It’s totally fine for daily driving (I drive 60 miles per day in my X3MC). You can make the ride even more comfortable if you switch to 20 inch wheels.
Appreciate 3
RustyBitz1573.50
dazzapb1050.00
arube138.50
      01-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #49
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Suspension gets significantly softer after it a few thousand miles. It basically 'breaks in'. It is now on the same comfort level as the suspension on my previous X3 M40i (that i traded in to get the MC). It's totally fine for daily driving (I drive 60 miles per day in my X3MC). You can make the ride even more comfortable if you switch to 20 inch wheels.
Just wondering if you run the recommended tyre pressures? I know you should but for my short trips I usually run 5-10% under which helps too. Certainly not over spec anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #50
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

I think so, it's only really crashy over badly broken surfaces and cobbles. Even then the suspension copes really well so it last very balanced, just loud stiff.

There's very little difference between the ride in this and my old 440i on RFT's.

But the plus is the mega flat handling on smoother roads. It's just epic for an SUV and for me feels more like an M3 Touring.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 07:57 AM   #51
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
I'm not sure why you keep parroting their opinion they're just a couple of average joes with an opinion, not professional car journalists even then a car with 442lb/ft from 2600rpm to 5950rpm can never be described as having a torque issue, it's quite nonsensical.

There are masses of other reviews that never mention it (why would they) yet you keep repeating the opinions of one youtuber.
      01-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #52
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

[QUOTE=Wills2;25637375]I'm not sure why you keep parroting their opinion they're just a couple of average joes with an opinion, not professional car journalists even then a car with 442lb/ft from 2600rpm to 5950rpm can never be described as having a torque issue, it's quite nonsensical.

There are masses of other reviews that never mention it (why would they) yet you keep repeating the opinions of one youtuber.[/QUOTE

I didn’t keep repeating or parroting their opinion . I am not even Insisting at the least that what they said was correct. It was a discussion. I brought it up , that’s all. I don’t necessarily agree but just stated what they said . I have no horse in this race at all.
Appreciate 1
Turbo1204352.00
      01-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #53
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

No good reason to rely predominantly on youtube reviews at this point. There are plenty of these cars at dealers available for test drives. Anyone can form his own opinion about the low-rpm torque, power curve characteristics, and everything else for that matter. Some will like it, others will not. No right or wrong answers on this front as long as based on solid information.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:46 AM   #54
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I'm not sure why you keep parroting their opinion they're just a couple of average joes with an opinion, not professional car journalists even then a car with 442lb/ft from 2600rpm to 5950rpm can never be described as having a torque issue, it's quite nonsensical.

There are masses of other reviews that never mention it (why would they) yet you keep repeating the opinions of one youtuber.
I didn’t keep repeating or parroting their opinion . I am not even Insisting at the least that what they said was correct. It was a discussion. I brought it up , that’s all. I don’t necessarily agree but just stated what they said . I have no horse in this race at all.
The thread is about Rusty loving his car not you gibbering on about a 40i....
      01-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #55
arube1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
The thread is about Rusty loving his car not you gibbering on about a 40i....
What’s the matter with you anyway? Why are you so argumentative and accusatory And defensive ....take it easy...deep breath...i made a simple comment about something I saw and you start attacking me ? I meant no offense not sure why you took it that way .
Appreciate 0