BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-13-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
bacon4200
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Experienced MSS Spring Installers in the Austin, TX Area?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi there - has anyone here had MSS springs installed on their vehicle in the Austin, TX area? If so, did you have any issues?

Looking for a shop that has prior experience with the MSS install since it seems to be more complex than other suspension installations, but maybe it's not that bad.

Just picked up a 2020 X3MC this past week, looking forward to joining this community! First time owning a BMW, let alone an M car.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12967.50
      03-05-2023, 04:39 AM   #2
klerk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32

I'm taking my 2023 X6 to SoulSpeed next week for a MSS + spacer install (12mm front /15mm rear). I can report back with my experience.
Appreciate 3
      03-13-2023, 11:11 AM   #3
bacon4200
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klerk View Post
I'm taking my 2023 X6 to SoulSpeed next week for a MSS + spacer install (12mm front /15mm rear). I can report back with my experience.
I ended up taking mine to SoulSpeed ~2 weeks ago. After they installed, they said they could only lower it 1 inch before it was fully maxed out, which seems odd since MSS should be able to go lower (I only asked for a 1 inch drop but it shouldn't be maxed out at that height).

Been driving around for 2 weeks / ~500 miles and the ride quality is definitely much better, but there's a clunking from the suspension whenever I turn the wheel full lock or if I take inclines/declines at certain angles.

I'm honestly not sure if they installed it properly, please let me know if you had a similar experience with your installation and ride afterwards.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      03-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by klerk View Post
Sub'd for an update

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #5
mattsheng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon4200 View Post
I ended up taking mine to SoulSpeed ~2 weeks ago. After they installed, they said they could only lower it 1 inch before it was fully maxed out, which seems odd since MSS should be able to go lower (I only asked for a 1 inch drop but it shouldn't be maxed out at that height).

Been driving around for 2 weeks / ~500 miles and the ride quality is definitely much better, but there's a clunking from the suspension whenever I turn the wheel full lock or if I take inclines/declines at certain angles.

I'm honestly not sure if they installed it properly, please let me know if you had a similar experience with your installation and ride afterwards.
It is possible that the front springs are not aligned correctly. Check if the top end of the orange MSS spring (left red circle) is aligned with the sway bar endlink tab on the front strut (right red circle). If not, just rotate the orange MSS spring until it is aligned properly.
Name:  ss.png
Views: 116
Size:  332.8 KB
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12967.50
      03-13-2023, 03:35 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon4200 View Post

Did the shop changed the adjuster that you've asked me to pre-set?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2023, 05:43 PM   #7
bacon4200
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Did the shop changed the adjuster that you've asked me to pre-set?
I'm assuming so, they mentioned that it wasn't 1 inch lower out of the box which initially led me to believe the installation might not have been done correctly since it was already preadjusted. Not sure what could've been done incorrectly that would result in a 1 inch difference, though.

I'm going to see if rotating the spring (per above suggestion) will help, may need to get another shop to look at it or take it back to SoulSpeed. Maybe they'll figure something out with the X6 install and can address my install afterwards.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12967.50