BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2022, 02:32 AM   #111
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Dinan_Engineering I don't mean to be rude & I know it's not personally your fault. But... what is taking so damn long on these bump stop kits... ? The monoballs arrived in 2-3 days. But there have been consistent empty promises on this "performance" bump stop kit.

I ordered mine 5-6 weeks ago. Every time I speak with Holley about my order they provide me with the same lame, super generic & extremely vague answers. "There's no current ETA on this kit" & "due to current issues we have no clue as to when it might become available in the future..."

Really... Can't I simply carve off 1" of the bottom of the factory F97 bump stops along with the top boot & simply call it a day... ?

2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:56 AM   #112
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
My suspension noise is completely gone after installing the isolators (ie like stock now)
Now if Dinan could figure out how to fix the exhaust flap rattle I'd be an even happier camper....
That's great that you've had none of these noise with your springs issues since the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
I've had the Dinan spring kit on since June of this year. Overall the look is improved with a mild 1" drop over stock. Ride is better (less abrasive) over bumps and rough patches than stock. The ride feels more composed overall. My only gripe is my kit has caused more noise. Honestly if this was a track dedicated car it wouldn't bother me but as a daily this has really diminished my enjoyment. I bought one of the first sets which didn't come equipped with rubber isolators. Dinan sent them after the fact because I was getting metal clank sounds from the suspension over bumps and road imperfections. Isolators went on a few weeks later which eliminated the metal clank but introduced a rubber sound when parking and going slow on turns. Been working with Dinan support on and off for a while and there's no solution. Replaced the isolators 3x. Even applied white lithium grease which only made the noise more prominent. I'm removing the Dinan kit in a few weeks. Based on my experience, I would go a different route if you're looking for just a lowering spring.
I wonder if this was an isolated experience and/or incident... ?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #113
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

I had very similar problems as mentioned in the second case (RoWo) , however they wall have been eliminated with the rubber grommets and proper installation. I had no problem since then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
That's great that you've had none of these noise with your springs issues since the update.
I wonder if this was an isolated experience and/or incident... ?
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2022, 07:12 AM   #114
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Hi Kevin,
I believe I head somewhere that the rubber compound is different , but don’t quite me for it and hopefully Dinah can verify . I got my bump stop kit with the springs and at the time there was no issue in getting them

- Jan

Quote:
Dinan_Engineering I don't mean to be rude & I know it's not personally your fault. But... what is taking so damn long on these bump stop kits... ? The monoballs arrived in 2-3 days. But there have been consistent empty promises on this "performance" bump stop kit.

I ordered mine 5-6 weeks ago. Every time I speak with Holley about my order they provide me with the same lame, super generic & extremely vague answers. "There's no current ETA on this kit" & "due to current issues we have no clue as to when it might become available in the future..."

Really... Can't I simply carve off 1" of the bottom of the factory F97 bump stops along with the top boot & simply call it a day... ?

15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2022, 03:03 PM   #115
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:

Frustration in regards to supply chain goes both ways. A fari number of German parts (bumpstops included) are in short supply with constantly fluctuating ETA's. Can't speak for the Holley sales team specifically but I know I have gotten to the point where I don't speak ETA's until the physical components are actually in the building. Disservice to everyone to attempt to predict anything with constantly shifting info. That said, we did get a handful of raw bumpstops that will clear out the majority of that backorder this past Friday for the kit in question so you will likely get shipment notification today or tomorrow.

As far as cutting the factory bumpstops goes -- you certainly can and that is pretty common thing done in the aftrmarket but I would advise against it. The reason is it will just create a worse ride. Bumpstops are part of the overall spring rate (together with the spring) and are progressive in nature for ride comfort. The part of the bumpstop that contacts the spring is more compliant and the rubber gets more dense/firm the closer to the base. When you cut a bumpstop you are eliminating that transitional area so when the spring compresses and hits the bumpstop it HITS the bumpstop for an alarming jolt rather then an smooth transition. What the Dinan bumpstops are doing is matching the Dinan spring rate so that transition from spring to bumpstop on rough roads is seemless and the factory ride comfort is retained.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 09:10 PM   #116
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Frustration in regards to supply chain goes both ways. A fari number of German parts (bumpstops included) are in short supply with constantly fluctuating ETA's. Can't speak for the Holley sales team specifically but I know I have gotten to the point where I don't speak ETA's until the physical components are actually in the building. Disservice to everyone to attempt to predict anything with constantly shifting info. That said, we did get a handful of raw bumpstops that will clear out the majority of that backorder this past Friday for the kit in question so you will likely get shipment notification today or tomorrow.

As far as cutting the factory bumpstops goes -- you certainly can and that is pretty common thing done in the aftrmarket but I would advise against it. The reason is it will just create a worse ride. Bumpstops are part of the overall spring rate (together with the spring) and are progressive in nature for ride comfort. The part of the bumpstop that contacts the spring is more compliant and the rubber gets more dense/firm the closer to the base. When you cut a bumpstop you are eliminating that transitional area so when the spring compresses and hits the bumpstop it HITS the bumpstop for an alarming jolt rather then an smooth transition. What the Dinan bumpstops are doing is matching the Dinan spring rate so that transition from spring to bumpstop on rough roads is seemless and the factory ride comfort is retained.
Thank you for getting back to me & explaining this in further detail. DINAN "finally" shipped the kit I ordered out. So hopefully it will be in my hands soon. I believe I'm going to pair it with your springs since they are linear rate & much needed on the X3 M. Unlike many others say I feel the factory springs are still a touch too soft & floaty. Often creating unnecessary bouncing at times.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #117
BuiltMyWay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F91, previously F98

Anyone do the monoballs? If so, installation and review?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 03:33 AM   #118
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltMyWay View Post
Anyone do the monoballs? If so, installation and review?
I have them. Ocne the DINAN springs + the handling kit is installed, these monoballs will be done at the same time. Looking forward to seeing the improvement this should provide.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #119
Vervish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Expect to receive the Dinan springs and new bumpstops later this week, with install in early October - I will report back once installed.

I think the stock ride is fine on my MY2020. The only gripe I have with stock suspension is the sudden harshness when driving over rumble strips and rough patches of road. I think it handles bumps fine..
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2022, 11:28 AM   #120
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
I have them. Ocne the DINAN springs + the handling kit is installed, these monoballs will be done at the same time. Looking forward to seeing the improvement this should provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervish View Post
Expect to receive the Dinan springs and new bumpstops later this week, with install in early October - I will report back once installed.
Look forward to your reviews!
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 01:56 AM   #121
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This week I'm having the DINAN springs, bumps stop & monoballs all installed at the same time. Can't wait to see what the car looks & drives like soon!

Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #122
Thtshowiroll47
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoWoX3M View Post
Order placed with a local dinan installer. Will give a full review once installed.
Well, what's the verdict?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 01:40 AM   #123
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thtshowiroll47 View Post
Well, what's the verdict?
My X3 MC is currently at the shop & on the rack as we speak. Later this week once I have the car back in my hands (weather permitting) I'll have some proper feedback.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2022, 08:14 PM   #124
Ramlimited4500
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Hi Kevin,
I believe I head somewhere that the rubber compound is different , but don’t quite me for it and hopefully Dinah can verify . I got my bump stop kit with the springs and at the time there was no issue in getting them

- Jan
I took my truck to dealer and told him the exhaust rattles like a bee and they just swapped mufflers for a new one!! WAY better exhaust note
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2023, 05:49 PM   #125
tubstar
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
My X3 MC is currently at the shop & on the rack as we speak. Later this week once I have the car back in my hands (weather permitting) I'll have some proper feedback.
What was your overall feedback with the Dinan suspension mods Kevin?
      04-09-2023, 11:28 PM   #126
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubstar View Post
What was your overall feedback with the Dinan suspension mods Kevin?
Mt X3 MC is a garage queen. So it doesn't get out much. However, from the driving I've done so far with these installed the steering feel is much improve & more linear in terms of on center feel & the feedback you get from adjustments made at all speeds. These are certainly high units & worth getting!
Appreciate 1
oreoOozZz126.00