BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-05-2022, 11:17 PM   #23
Chi-X4M
Rep
Drives: BMW X4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
Bootmod3!!

The main reason I bought this vehicle was how well they react with just a stage 1 tune. I can't lie it hurt a little bit flashing a car with 7500 miles on it but it was going to happen regardless haha.

I chose BM3 Stage 1 93 as my free OTS tune. I plan to run this for a couple months and get the feel for the change in characteristics. I really enjoy drag racing and the data associated with it so I plan to see just how far I can take the car on Stage 1 93 and nothing else.

So I needed a baseline.

Bone stock, 93 octane, just over half a tank of fuel.

After flashing the BM3 Stage 1 93, I dove around for about 20 miles or so to see if the ECU needed to adapt or anything (my previous Audi did). Then lined up to grab another run. Same location, slightly higher DA.

BM3 Stage 1, 93 octane, just over half a tank of fuel.

I am thoroughly impressed! I didn't think cracking a 10s slip on 93 would be this easy and shaving off a full 2 seconds on the 100-200. Next goal is to see if I can squeeze a 10.7-10.8 in a better DA!!
Impressive numbers. You convinced me on getting the BM3 and so far loving it. Car hauls!!!

I find the car sometimes clunky through gears at low speeds (parking lot speed 3-5mph) since the tune. Noticed this on yours?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #24
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-X4M View Post
Impressive numbers. You convinced me on getting the BM3 and so far loving it. Car hauls!!!

I find the car sometimes clunky through gears at low speeds (parking lot speed 3-5mph) since the tune. Noticed this on yours?
It certainly rips haha! I haven't noticed anything like that but I quite literally flashed the car Monday night lol. I'll keep an eye out and report back
      04-06-2022, 09:14 AM   #25
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Yeah they are just as clear as the rear. There is a slight hue difference if you look from the inside out both windows. The fronts are cooler toned and the backs are warmer toned. Not super noticeable though
Excellent - thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:21 PM   #26
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:
It certainly rips haha! I haven't noticed anything like that but I quite literally flashed the car Monday night lol. I'll keep an eye out and report back
I just flashed my BM3 stage 1 tune last night. Holy shit what a difference. Partial throttle doing 40mph and you're at 80mph in seemingly an instant. I had the chance to only do one launch and did a 3.29 second 0-60. Car is way quicker now...almost like it wants to jump out of its own skin!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #27
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_FriendlyX3M View Post
I just flashed my BM3 stage 1 tune last night. Holy shit what a difference. Partial throttle doing 40mph and you're at 80mph in seemingly an instant. I had the chance to only do one launch and did a 3.29 second 0-60. Car is way quicker now...almost like it wants to jump out of its own skin!
Impressive isn't it?? I've had a handful of quick cars and I think this one takes the cake for just a 93 octane flash in terms of gains. I laid down a 3.04 0-60 the night I ran my other runs

04-06-2022, 03:39 PM   #28
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:
Impressive isn't it?? I've had a handful of quick cars and I think this one takes the cake for just a 93 octane flash in terms of gains. I laid down a 3.04 0-60 the night I ran my other runs

Impressive indeed! I suspect my 0-60 would have been a tad quicker but I held too long on the launch control waiting for the light to change so the car inched forward slightly.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 03:56 PM   #29
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
Quote:

You may have me beat on the 0-60, but I may have you beat on the top of the building shots
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #30
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

When a Friday gets that much better!

KW V3 Coilovers and EDC delete showed up!

04-08-2022, 01:20 PM   #31
chimp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4|2021 X4MC|2022 X4MC

Following this with great interest. I cannot decide if I should go with just MSS springs or the KWV-3s on my 2022 X4MC so very interested in your experience with these. I have the M Performance HAS on my F82 and that made a noticeable difference. Are you installing these yourself or using a local shop?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 01:28 PM   #32
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp View Post
Following this with great interest. I cannot decide if I should go with just MSS springs or the KWV-3s on my 2022 X4MC so very interested in your experience with these. I have the M Performance HAS on my F82 and that made a noticeable difference. Are you installing these yourself or using a local shop?
Lucky I've been able to experience both! MSS is a great kit but you are limited on how low you can go. It rides really well for what it is and provides a reasonable drop. I personally wanted more so that's why I went with KW's. They will be more firm and you lose EDC but I'm not too worried about that. I personally like to set it and forget it so dialing these in for a mix of comfort and performance will do just fine!

I will be having a shop do them. I typically tackle everything myself aside from suspension.
      04-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #33
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Two in the same day???

Right after I posted the coilovers my doorbell rang and these showed up haha.

My plan for these is to run them until the stock tires are toast. My car came with practically new Michelin PS4S so I don't want to just throw them away and tire resell value is quite shit. I wanted something lighter than the OEM wheels and within the same specs. These popped up at a nutty discount since apparently they won't be stocking this size anymore so it was a no brainer.

So I'll run these for a little while and then get a snazzy forged set and wider tires.

TSW Bathurst
21x9 et25 - 28lbs
21x10 et42 - 29lbs

I'll run 15mm spacers all around for looks but these should clear no problem.

04-09-2022, 12:57 AM   #34
bear1m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Two in the same day???

Right after I posted the coilovers my doorbell rang and these showed up haha.

My plan for these is to run them until the stock tires are toast. My car came with practically new Michelin PS4S so I don't want to just throw them away and tire resell value is quite shit. I wanted something lighter than the OEM wheels and within the same specs. These popped up at a nutty discount since apparently they won't be stocking this size anymore so it was a no brainer.

So I'll run these for a little while and then get a snazzy forged set and wider tires.

TSW Bathurst
21x9 et25 - 28lbs
21x10 et42 - 29lbs

I'll run 15mm spacers all around for looks but these should clear no problem.
beautiful! can't wait to see these mounted!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      04-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #35
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

I had a busy Sunday installing a few things.

AutoTecknic Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel Trim
Really solid quality on this. It's a very close match to the BMW interior carbon fiber and looks much better than the brushed silver. Fitment is spot on and the install wasn't too bad.

I followed the IND paddle shifter install guide up to the point after they removed the paddle shifters. There are 3 T20 bolts on the backside of wheel (1 behind each paddle shifter and 1 at the bottom/6 o'clock). Once undone you can start gently separating the trim and then swap the controls over. each control panel and the heated steering wheel button are held in by T5 Torx (iirc). You don't need to remove any of the philips head screws when swapping the controls to the new trim piece.

MRG 82mm Titanium Stud Conversion
This was my first stud conversion on a vehicle but it seems worth it for my situation. I tend to swap wheels fairly often whether it's from a winter set to summer or changing summer wheels. So not only does this help with the ease of install but it allows me to run one set of nuts with no spacers, up to 20mm spacers. No more keeping track of 2-3-4 sets of bolts for each wheel setup.

Really nice quality and the install was a breeze. Blue lock tight each stud before screwing into the hub and torque to 20ft/lbs per MRG.

Dinan 15mm Spacers F&R
The stock wheels (and soon to be TSW wheels) were too sunken in for my liking. I went with 15mm all around which has a slight poke at stock height but nothing too crazy. These should be perfect once the KW's are installed too.

I plan to run these with the TSW wheels too for a nice and flush fitment.

Some photos.

Before 15mm spacers (rear):

After 15mm spacers (rear):

15mm spacers F&R:

04-14-2022, 07:46 AM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep

This looks fantastic! I am really liking the CF steering wheel trim - I will likely purchase.

I was looking at my silver last night and it does sort of look out of place.

I have the aluminum trim interior (not CF) so I think it will add a nice accent.
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      04-14-2022, 09:09 AM   #37
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
This looks fantastic! I am really liking the CF steering wheel trim - I will likely purchase.

I was looking at my silver last night and it does sort of look out of place.

I have the aluminum trim interior (not CF) so I think it will add a nice accent.
I completely agree. I also didn't like the black plastic around the bottom of the stock trim. Mine was faded already and had whiteish marks all over it. The CF certainly blends in nicely.

The alcantara feels good on your hands too if you drive in the 5-7 oclock position
      04-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #38
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree. I also didn't like the black plastic around the bottom of the stock trim. Mine was faded already and had whiteish marks all over it. The CF certainly blends in nicely.

The alcantara feels good on your hands too if you drive in the 5-7 oclock position
Placed the order based upon your feedback - thank you.

I was a bit concerned as I have heard the CF mirror caps by AutoTecknic were not a good fit (some people said anyway).

I also looked at the OEM CF steering wheel trim but like the way this looks more and it doesn't have the "M Performance" on it (I do not care for that for some reason).

Only downside is I am loosing the ///M logo on the wheel so interior is down to ~47 of them
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      04-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #39
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Over the weekend I added a few more small detail items which really ties the car together IMO.

- R44 Carbon Mirror caps
I was a little hesitant on these since I haven't heard of R44 before this platform. After a little digging around their products seem to be nice quality so I bit the bullet. Super happy with how these turned out. The weave is perfect, nice rigid quality and the fitment was spot on. I added a few coats of CarPro DLUX to help prevent any clear coat yellowing but really pleased with this. Will have more install photos soon.

- JB Speed Carbon Fiber Roundels
This was another one I was a little hesitant on. After getting them in hand they are solid quality and fitment was spot on. I wanted to try something a little different and while the IND roundels are very nice I didn't want to spend that much money. These were roughly half the cost and I have 0 complaints. I also hit these with CarPro DLUX for a little extra UV protection.

- Alpine White V Brace
I was torn on what color to do the V brace so my starting choice was matching the Alpine White. I ordered High Gloss White from VVIVID which is almost spot on. It's nearly indistinguishable from AW when it's behind the grill. I don't think it's an absolute perfect match so I wouldn't try to match reflectors or anything else that sits right next to paint but it handles my needs perfectly.

I cut the film to roughly 14"x3.5" strips. This allowed me to slightly over lap the first layer so make sure you choose the appropriate starting point so the seam isn't directly on the front. My starting point was closest to the ground which resulted in the overlap being on the backside of the bar out of sight.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YLFQ7W0...roduct_details

04-18-2022, 09:56 AM   #40
Jbh165nc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Over the weekend I added a few more small detail items which really ties the car together IMO.
Wow, yeah. Looks great!
How difficult was the roundel swap? How are they attached?
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      04-18-2022, 10:02 AM   #41
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh165nc View Post
Wow, yeah. Looks great!
How difficult was the roundel swap? How are they attached?
They have 2 centering pins that push into the trunk and hood as well as 3m adhesive throughout the underside. I used a heat gun to heat up the glue and ran some fishing line around it to break as much free as I could. Then taped off the edges and slowly pried up with trim tools.

The rear is a piece of the cake but since the front is sunken into the hood it's challenging to get fishing line under the emblem. It seemed to be stuck on much harder too so I would expect double the time compared to the rear. Very doable though.
      04-30-2022, 07:09 PM   #42
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Wow looks great! The white v-brace really pops!

I went with blue to match my calipers - understated but looks good (IMO).

I'm very intrigued by the R44 carbon mirror caps. I really want to get the OEMs but I am not spending $1k on them. I will have to take a look at these as well. My mirrors are PPFed so will have to investigate options like cutting a seam. I also want to get the smoked progressive turn signals if I am going to replace the caps.

I also really like the CF roundels - I want to get the same but have had a difficult time finding the matching 56mm center caps. I am also PPFed on the hood so want to make sure I don't mess that up. I assume they removed the emblem already so hopefully it wouldn't be hard to remove.

Today I installed the CF steering wheel trim. Not a bad install except the hole I had to make to release the airbag on the passenger facing side is a little wonky. On the right hand side you can't even see it Only thing I can think if is 1) I made a slit on the passenger side and on the driver I made a "+" and 2) the driver's side was on a seam. I guess I won't see it anyway but I was not happy I needed to make holes.

Now I feel like I have to get the gear shift pieces which seem like a lot larger chance for breakage and even less product for the money....grrr.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2022, 07:12 PM   #43
spta97
Colonel
Rep

ps: If you have an wrap left over you may want to consider doing the engine braces as well :

Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      04-30-2022, 07:51 PM   #44
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

- R44 Carbon Mirror caps
I was a little hesitant on these since I haven't heard of R44 before this platform. After a little digging around their products seem to be nice quality so I bit the bullet. Super happy with how these turned out. The weave is perfect, nice rigid quality and the fitment was spot on. I added a few coats of CarPro DLUX to help prevent any clear coat yellowing but really pleased with this. Will have more install photos soon.

I just checked my mirror caps and luckily the PPF is separate from the cap vs. the rest.

Question, what made you go with R44 vs. Autotechnic?

I have hear mixed reviews on the Autotechnic so curious if that factored into your decision.
Appreciate 0