BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #155
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Sure thing. First two times were due to my learning how to launch correctly. On my last launch I held it for a good five seconds and could absolutely feel the difference. Fuel was 93 speedway (I wasn't planning on going to the track; wish I would have used better fuel), but I topped it off with some E85 (3 gallons) to a full tank. No tune, fully stock on factory P4Ss, I have a moonroof, and no spare.
Excellent info, robopp - thanks for sharing. I've now compiled your data into your own Spreadsheet analysis, as well as added you to the Stock X3MC Spreadsheet. I'm also including a small spreadsheet I've set up to try to calculate estimated Octane for those who just submit their mixture without an end-result estimate of octane.

You can see where interval analysis is really helpful, for your second run actually had faster interval times for two of the segments, so never discount slips even if they aren't the fastest. In fact, you now have one of the fastest interval times for the stock X3MC.

Now we just need to start getting some formal slips from those with mods.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
robopp1664.00
      07-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #156
robertm235
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3mc

Launch Control won't engage, I bought my X3MC used with 9k miles and I have watched every video i can find and read the owners manual, seems pretty straight forward but no matter what I try Launch Control won't engage? Could it be that my car wasn't served for the first time at a BMW dealer? Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #157
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm235 View Post
Launch Control won't engage, I bought my X3MC used with 9k miles and I have watched every video i can find and read the owners manual, seems pretty straight forward but no matter what I try Launch Control won't engage? Could it be that my car wasn't served for the first time at a BMW dealer? Any other suggestions?
Welcome to the F97/98 Forum, robertm235 .

Review this link to a previous post last week: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=148 . And be sure to click on the link within that post where I show how to set up your M2 tab. The first time service means nothing as Launch Control (LC) is available from the factory.

Once set on your M2 tab (located to the right mid portion of your steering wheel) as noted in this post, it works every time. If you watch videos you may become confused as not everyone who posts a video is always knowledgeable. And the manual becomes confusing as it is asking you to set it into a Manual mode (S3) which is counter-intuitive for one to then simply mash the accelerator and expect the vehicle to then shift for you. I think that is where most of the confusion rests.

Just follow the tips in that link and almost guaranteed you will successfully launch. If it doesn't, after insuring you are correct with your settings, then perhaps a trip to your Svc Ctr would be in order...
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2020, 05:26 PM   #158
robertm235
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3mc

Awesome! I'll try it this evening. Thank you for the quick reply!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #159
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post

Review this link to a previous post last week: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=148 . And be sure to click on the link within that post where I show how to set up your M2 tab. The first time service means nothing as Launch Control (LC) is available from the factory.

Once set on your M2 tab (located to the right mid portion of your steering wheel) as noted in this post, it works every time. If you watch videos you may become confused as not everyone who posts a video is always knowledgeable. And the manual becomes confusing as it is asking you to set it into a Manual mode (S3) which is counter-intuitive for one to then simply mash the accelerator and expect the vehicle to then shift for you. I think that is where most of the confusion rests.

Just follow the tips in that link and almost guaranteed you will successfully launch. If it doesn't, after insuring you are correct with your settings, then perhaps a trip to your Svc Ctr would be in order...
This what I've done set everything in M2 for LC then it's a quick double press, brake then throttle, nice and easy.
      07-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #160
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

Quote:

Have you found that Launch Control won't launch hard repeatedly if the car is hot? I was playing over the weekend, and it was 96 degrees out and super humid. The launch control symbol would come on the dash, but then take off like normal (slow). I got one good launch and then every one after that was a dog.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #161
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Have you found that Launch Control won't launch hard repeatedly if the car is hot? I was playing over the weekend, and it was 96 degrees out and super humid. The launch control symbol would come on the dash, but then take off like normal (slow). I got one good launch and then every one after that was a dog.
You need at least two minutes break between launches - or five minutes if it's very hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #162
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
You need at least two minutes break between launches - or five minutes if it's very hot.
Who's got that kind of time!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #163
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Who's got that kind of time!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:33 PM   #164
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Would encourage reading the Technical Documents which ynguldyn kindly shared 10 Jun 2019: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1623283 . Can't emphasize enough, that this is a remarkably well-designed vehicle which is capable of reaching limits beyond what Physics suggests it should be able to accomplish (as many Reviewers have also suggested over the past year). A true thoroughbred we need to understand before putting it through the paces.

Here is information discussing LC from page 25:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #165
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

An AMG Enthusiast has posted slips in two YouTube videos for an AMG GLC 63, which is arguably the most direct comparison to our F97. Much appreciation for him sharing his videos. Unfortunately details helpful for comparing vehicle performance aren’t provided (tire psi, octane, tune? [and if so, what settings?],vehicle weight over/under curb, DA, date, and time), but I’m making an assumption here that the first video at Island Dragway may have been Stock? So I chose that series to compare with my GNV runs in Feb ‘20.

No way to make firm comparisons with so many variables unknown, but the major glaring difference seems to be in the 0-60 time. They (AMG GLC63) do have larger tires which many here are now running, so conceivably they provide better grip, or maybe his psi was lowered?

Looking forward to more of our Members sharing formal slips.

Island Dragway 12 Jul 2020:

Atco Dragway 16 Jul 2020:
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 07-23-2020 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Corrected error of Atco video date from 1 to 16 Jul 2020
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #166
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

For your official drag slip Max.

2020 X3M
Moonroof / no spare
Official weight scale at NH Dragway was 4490
1/2 tank gas
35 psi / 38 psi

Mission Performance E50 tune

DA (slip right) was +1912
DA (slip left) was +1281
Attached Images

10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7835.00
sd306380.50
      07-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #167
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Damn that is FLYING!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #168
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
For your official drag slip Max.

2020 X3M
Moonroof / no spare
Official weight scale at NH Dragway was 4490
1/2 tank gas
35 psi / 38 psi

Mission Performance E50 tune

DA (slip right) was +1912
DA (slip left) was +1281
Thanks, GT500R. I'm prepping three spreadsheets to enter your data -

1- your own personal spreadsheet so future runs can be added and compared just for your adjustments

2- you are the first to enter formal slips for St1, so will add your fastest time slip to that

3- you are the first to enter formal slips for St1, so will add your fastest time to the Leaderboard of the Five categories.

Before I do, to clarify, was this at New England Dragway in Epping (I can't find a 'NH Dragway' as you typed listed in searches)? Also, your slips don't show the date or times as they were cropped out. For completeness, will be helpful to have that info for all formal slips entered so cross-reference of the weather can be done if anyone wishes to do so in the future. Finally, I've calculated the E50 mix to have an octane of 101 (if mixed with 93 and E85) - but clarify if you have different value? I want to use octane consistently in the spreadsheets as well as the mix% for those unaccustomed to E mixes.

I'll get the spreadsheets completed once I have that missing info as it'll save me from having to correct and re-post.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #169
GT500R
Major
Rep

Quote:

1- your own personal spreadsheet so future runs can be added and compared just for your adjustments

2- you are the first to enter formal slips for St1, so will add your fastest time slip to that

3- you are the first to enter formal slips for St1, so will add your fastest time to the Leaderboard of the Five categories.

Before I do, to clarify, was this at New England Dragway in Epping (I can't find a 'NH Dragway' as you typed listed in searches)? Also, your slips don't show the date or times as they were cropped out. For completeness, will be helpful to have that info for all formal slips entered so cross-reference of the weather can be done if anyone wishes to do so in the future. Finally, I've calculated the E50 mix to have an octane of 101 (if mixed with 93 and E85) - but clarify if you have different value? I want to use octane consistently in the spreadsheets as well as the mix% for those unaccustomed to E mixes.

I'll get the spreadsheets completed once I have that missing info as it'll save me from having to correct and re-post.
I got 96ish octane through this website

https://www.brewcity**********/about...ol-calculator/

Also attached full slip
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Max Well4717.50
      07-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #170
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I got 96ish octane through this website

https://www.brewcity**********/about...ol-calculator/

Also attached full slip
Damn, we should meet up at some point. I'm in Seaport, but make the trek up to NED with my RS3 buddies pretty frequently.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:02 AM   #171
GT500R
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Damn, we should meet up at some point. I'm in Seaport, but make the trek up to NED with my RS3 buddies pretty frequently.
Sure can, I’m not a huge fan of that track TBH, the prep there is garbage compared to ATCO
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #172
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got 96ish octane through this website...

Also attached full slip
I'm attaching the 3 spreadsheets ( GT500R runs, St1 alone sheet for which he is the sole contributor so far, and the global Leaderboard for the 5 categories).

Some of the variables in this kind of project are probably best taken as estimates. For example, its hard to find consensus on calculating octane of different ethanol mixes, and DAs supplied by Dragy rarely agree with calculated DA from dragtimes when using local weather data.

Re the octane - I used the calculator at the Wallace Racing site after figuring out how many gal of E85 are needed to add to E10 to make E50 [turned out to be 5.3 gal E85 + 4.7 gal E10, and I'm assuming 93 Octane E10 was used].

Re the DA - timeanddate.com had the conditions for 1st run abt Temp 77, Humidity 58%, Barometer 30.05" (dragtimes calc yields DA +1359), 2nd run as ~71/87%/30.08" (for DA +996). Whereas localconditions.com for Epping had 74/68%/30.04" (for DA +1194) and 69/81%/30.06" (for DA +853). But I posted the DAs as shared in the spreadsheet.

So estimated Octane for Ethanol mixes and DA values shouldn't be taken as gospel, but at least provide a rough framework for comparing the solid data being shared by Forum Members with their formal runs.

Much appreciation to the Community for sharing their slips.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #173
CJJx3M40i
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Here is my drag slip

Hi,
I ran the same night as GT500 :-D

I'm using the same exact model but using an OTS E30 Map from Bootmod3.
I had just about 3/4 of a tank, my car didn't come with a spare so I had nothing to take out but the all weather mats

Using the calculator my octane was about 94.4 give or take

Attached Images

Last edited by CJJx3M40i; 07-27-2020 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:56 PM   #174
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJx3M40i View Post
Hi,
I ran the same night as GT500 :-D

I had just about 3/4 of a tank, my car didn't come with a spare so I had nothing to take out but the all weather mats

Using the calculator my octane was about 94.4 give or take

I don’t see any image. Can you repost?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #175
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Also, post the whole slip.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #176
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJx3M40i View Post
Hi, I ran the same night as GT500 :-D

I had just about 3/4 of a tank, my car didn't come with a spare so I had nothing to take out but the all weather mats Using the calculator my octane was about 94.4 give or take
I'm a bit confused, CJJx3M40i, as your name and stable imply you have a G01 X3M40i?

If you can confirm you actually have a(n) F97, please provide more details along with full image of your slip and I can add you to the St1 F97/98 formal spreadsheet.

And for those sharing 1/4 slips, here's a brief checklist of details which really helps to document runs and allows others a better chance of using that data as a reference point. Note the tire sizes are only relevant if different from OEM/stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0