BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-22-2022, 11:22 AM   #1
bubblebby83
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

2013 BMW X3 Trade In Or Repair

I took my 2013 x3 into the shop and with the codes that he was pulling the mechanic has said that it is more than likely a timing chain issue. That alone to repair is 4000 there is also another issue that is about 800 to repair if that is a problem. My boyfriend is really encouraging me to let this car go and trade-in and get something more reliable like a Toyota. I don't want to because I love my X3 but I also have to be realistic. I am one that will drive a vehicle until it doesn't drive anymore and then I get a new one. I guess I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth it to sink money into this vehicle or not. it has 116000 miles on it it 10 years old. and in this economy my choices for used cars are not that great. Any advice or recommendations is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:47 AM   #2
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
In this crazy used car market, I would only buy if I absolutely had to. That makes maintaining cars all the more important. Most people don't generally have $4K lying around, so if funds are an issue, perhaps a trade is a better option.

Pre-2015 X3 with the 4-cyl turbo (N20) engine are notorious for timing chain issues. BMW updated the timing chain components that supposedly fixed the issue, but I believe there is no recourse for owners whose pre-2015 X3 may be suffering from the issue.

Think long and hard about dropping $4k+ to fix a nearly 10-year-old car with 116k miles on it. At the same time, with interest rates rising and the cost of (not to mention lack of availability) of cars today, there is no easy answer.

Sorry for your troubles.

Last edited by andreigbs; 06-22-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 11:52 AM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Your car is right about at the mileage where other work is not far down the road-

- shocks and struts
- transmission and transfer case fluid change, if not already done
- possible thrust and control arm bushing replacement

Might want to seriously consider selling; if you sell as private party it's likely the buyer will want a pre-purchase inspection by mechanic, so they will become aware of the fault codes, possible timing chain issue.

Bit of a tough decision in current economic environment.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 12:41 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Selling a vehicle with 116k miles that needs TC work is going to be a hard sell.
Find a boyfriend that knows how to turn a wrench
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 06:11 PM   #5
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

First, if it is throwing codes believed to be the timing chain issue, do not drive it. You could be one mile of driving from a ruined engine. Second, you don't say who the mechanic is. If he just pulled codes and said it's the chain I'd be leery. At a minimum he should have physically checked for chain slack with the engine warmed up (but not running). It can have slack when cold, but not when hot after the chain tensioner is filled with oil. If this person has never actually done an N20 timing chain job I'd also be leery. Even if he has, I'd maybe shop for better prices. Sometime people associated with Facebook BMW groups are aware of people who do these sorts of things on the side. My son has saved huge money this way.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Also, a mechanic can put a camera (boroscope) down the oil filler cap and inspect most of the chain tensioner plastic bits. But if the chain is loose when warm, that's a waste of time because you need the job done ASAP. If the car is in very good shape otherwise, then $4,000 to keep it a while does not offend me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 07:22 PM   #7
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
If the chain is truly worn, then it would be best to follow your boyfriend's advice. The new Rav4 drives very well. Although it does not drive like a BMW, it has space, is very reliable, and looks really nice. Your wallet will thank you in the long run. Test drive a Rav4, and you'll see the difference between the new gen and old gen. BMWs just keep getting more expensive as they age, even if one turns the wrench. Shop multiple dealers, get good loan terms/interest rate, and don't pay above msrp....I think your boyfriend is knowledgeable enough to help you through this ordeal.
Appreciate 0