BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Locking Gas Cap? Rattle rear view mirror console area?

Does anyone use a locking gas cap? I was at the store today and came out and my fuel door was open and now I’m paranoid. Could have been a fluke that it popped open I did go get gas earlier today but we would have noticed when we went into the store.. Why doesn’t BMW have locking fuel doors?

Also curious if anyone else has reported a rattling in the rear view mirror console area I have not been able to pin point it yet but almost every bump and it’s rattling plastic.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020X3MCDG View Post
Does anyone use a locking gas cap? I was at the store today and came out and my fuel door was open and now I’m paranoid. Could have been a fluke that it popped open I did go get gas earlier today but we would have noticed when we went into the store.. Why doesn’t BMW have locking fuel doors?

Also curious if anyone else has reported a rattling in the rear view mirror console area I have not been able to pin point it yet but almost every bump and it’s rattling plastic.

Thanks in advance!
The fuel door locks when you lock the car. And no, no rattling on my vehicle.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:49 PM   #3
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
The fuel door locks when you lock the car. And no, no rattling on my vehicle.
Just tested it. Dang it. Yes it does lock. That is strange then. Must have been a fluke..glad that it locks
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41908.00
      05-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I have a rattle in that area and tracked it down to this piece. You can move it with your finger and the plastic on plastic makes a rattle over bumps.

I am going to mention it at my break in service, but may just use foam or felt tape to wedge it so it doesn't move.

See if you can move it up/down with your finger
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I have a rattle in that area and tracked it down to this piece. You can move it with your finger and the plastic on plastic makes a rattle over bumps.

I am going to mention it at my break in service, but may just use foam or felt tape to wedge it so it doesn't move.

Thanks. Mine does have some play. It seems unlikely but I hope that is it. I will check next time I’m hearing it and report back. Mine sounds like a connector behind the console that is loose and smacking the plastic.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:17 AM   #6
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

I thought my rattle was that piece but I removed it and it turned out to be behind the whole panel. For me it was where the roof liner sealed into the opening behind the panel and the seal wasn't complete. Vibration was causing the seal to continually stick/unstick making a noise. I opened up a small section of the seal and wedged a small piece of cardboard in between. This was of course all behind that panel. Fixed my issue but was a pain in the ass to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I thought my rattle was that piece but I removed it and it turned out to be behind the whole panel. For me it was where the roof liner sealed into the opening behind the panel and the seal wasn't complete. Vibration was causing the seal to continually stick/unstick making a noise. I opened up a small section of the seal and wedged a small piece of cardboard in between. This was of course all behind that panel. Fixed my issue but was a pain in the ass to figure out.
Did that piece just pry out?

When I put my finger on it the rattle disappears but I would be interested if you have pics of where you made your fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did that piece just pry out?

When I put my finger on it the rattle disappears but I would be interested if you have pics of where you made your fix.
Yes with pry tool the small piece comes right out. There is a tab at either end and 4 tabs in middle in a square pattern.

If you want to go deeper, there are two small torx screws behind that piece that you remove and then the whole panel can be pryed out. In your pic my issue was at the seal with headliner behind the panel, right above your finger but on right side.

I also had rattle disappear with finger pressure on small panel but removing it completely didn't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes with pry tool the small piece comes right out. There is a tab at either end and 4 tabs in middle in a square pattern.

If you want to go deeper, there are two small torx screws behind that piece that you remove and then the whole panel can be pryed out. In your pic my issue was at the seal with headliner behind the panel, right above your finger but on right side.

I also had rattle disappear with finger pressure on small panel but removing it completely didn't fix it.
This is sounding like it could be my issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I was planning on mentioning to my dealer at my break in service but if they don't fix it I will do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
n54roll
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 S58

spta97 Did you ever get this rattled resolved? I have the same one.

Transfer In your post above about removing the dome light panel. Did you remove the entire panel or only the plastic piece that he is pointing to(the vents)?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #12
bernpromos
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54roll View Post

Transfer In your post above about removing the dome light panel. Did you remove the entire panel or only the plastic piece that he is pointing to(the vents)?
I have this same rattle from that overhead panel, and told my dealer. I have service coming up in August and they said they have seen it quite a bit and will address when I bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:23 PM   #13
n54roll
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 S58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernpromos View Post
I have this same rattle from that overhead panel, and told my dealer. I have service coming up in August and they said they have seen it quite a bit and will address when I bring it in.
Interesting, I brought mine in for RIS and told them about the rattle. Of course they said they didn't hear anything, make me lean towards resolving it on my own
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #14
2020X3MCDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I still have my rattle it comes and goes though. Very irritating when it’s there though. I have pinpointed mine to the passenger side console light area. If I apply pressure on that outer edge the rattle goes away...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I had to take whole panel off. For me it was the incomplete adhesive seal between roof liner and something else (plastic?) behind the panel that was making noise.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Sorry missed this post. When I took it to the dealer for break-in they fixed it (I assume with some felt tape or similar).

I've gotten comfortable taking the inside apart so any more rattles I'll handle on my own.

Edit - What's interesting is the piece that I thought was making the noise is still moving so it is possible there was something else going on. But when driving if I held my finger on it the rattle would disappear.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:18 AM   #17
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Hello Guys... how do you exactly remove the light panel?

Thanksb
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
gearcritic
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

If someone can layout how to remove the whole panel. I got to the part where I removed the torx screws but couldn’t figure out how to remove the panel itself.
Appreciate 0