BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-30-2022, 09:47 PM   #1
gapband
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

PPF and Tint

Hey everyone, just looking to get some 2nd opinions on this. I picked up my new X3M 6 days ago today. I had a 330-mile drive from the dealer to my home and wrapped the front-end in tracwrap from expel. It worked great, and the paint was beautiful. 2 days ago, I dropped off my car for Xpel PPF and ceramic tint. I got the car back today and am slightly disappointed (a little more than slightly tbh).

Under the PPF, there are small blue specs scattered all over the hood and fenders. Couldn't get a good shot of those on the cell phone but may try later with my camera. We've spotted three pieces of hair and lint all over. It looks like they didn't prep properly; the least they could've done was clay it! There are stretch marks/marring (a term called silvering) on the mirrors. The front lip is fingering out and there's a line in the PPF for some reason.

They appear to have damaged the passenger side a-pillar as well. There are very noticeable marks that I can't get out.

I paid ~3200 all-in. What would you do if you were me? What are your thoughts? Am I crazy?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

You are not crazy at all. Ask to speak to the owner and have it fixed, otherwise legal recourse would be appropriate. Sorry you have to deal with this.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2022, 05:06 AM   #3
Must_Go_FASTER
formerly rdougherty85
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M Comp MBB

Oooooo, that pillar being all scratched would drive me nutty...

You should be upset. Sucks that such a distance is involved, but try to get them to make it right.
Appreciate 2
      07-01-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
dooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3 M

Wow... I'll just say that's just a really shitty install. I wouldn't even give them a chance to fix it. It's clear that they don't take pride in their work. I would ask for a refund...
Appreciate 3
dmanb2b2124.50
BrockDM2043.00
      07-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Refund, put this on their google reviews.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

That is terrible work, I can't believe they were comfortable returning the car to you like that. I am more surprised you would even accept it like that. Hopefully you used a credit card and you can dispute the charge if they don't refund you.

I would unequivocally take your car elsewhere this shop sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #7
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 f97 BG X3Mc

Breaks my heart to see that side a-pillar as at least the exterior stuff can probably be more easily fixed. Did this shop have good reviews? Sorry that you had this experience, especially since you're still in the honeymoon phase here. I've been tracking your progress in the 150 Status thread so I feel your pain. I'm also planning on getting PPF and tint done. Always tough to 100% trust your vendors with your prized possessions, sadly.
2012 e92 MW M3, DCT, ZCP (gone)
2009 e92 BS 335i (gone)
Appreciate 2
95wildtt831.00
gapband240.00
      07-01-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
gapband
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your input. I went to the shop first thing this morning and expressed my disappointment. The shop owner was reluctant to admit fault for the a-pillar damage but was nice enough to come around at the end and offer to replace it. I will get an invoice for the part and send it to him.

As for the PPF, he immediately agreed that there was blue particulate all over the car under the PPF. I pointed out all the other imperfections (misaligned pre-cut film, lifting edges, silvering, fingering, debris). He offered a refund and made an appointment to uninstall the PPF. Should I trust them to do this? He said they use steam which appears to be the right way.

He told me that he thinks there won't be anyone else in the state that can do better and I unfortunately may agree with him there. Arkansas sucks ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
That is terrible work, I can't believe they were comfortable returning the car to you like that. I am more surprised you would even accept it like that. Hopefully you used a credit card and you can dispute the charge if they don't refund you.

I would unequivocally take your car elsewhere this shop sucks.
Yeah, I was too focused on the edges and rushed going over the car at the shop as we stood outside in the blistering, bright sun. This is the first car I've ever PPF'd so I'm an amateur and definitely taking this as a lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemont View Post
Breaks my heart to see that side a-pillar as at least the exterior stuff can probably be more easily fixed. Did this shop have good reviews? Sorry that you had this experience, especially since you're still in the honeymoon phase here. I've been tracking your progress in the 150 Status thread so I feel your pain. I'm also planning on getting PPF and tint done. Always tough to 100% trust your vendors with your prized possessions, sadly.
My heart sunk when I got home, pulled out my flashlight, and combed over the work. It was a disappointment and I find myself more stressed out than I should be with a new toy. I'm dealing with paint peeling issues at the rear of the car and I went to the dealership today to start that process. I hope you vet your installer more than I did mine. This local shop has good reviews, a good online presence, and a nice clean-looking shop, but I never saw their work in person.

I found this XPEL shop in Dallas and may make the trip down there to get my car PPF'd again. If anyone has any recommendations on shops in the southern region, I would love to hear about them.

Last edited by gapband; 07-01-2022 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention if I should have them uninstall the PPF?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #9
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
I would have them remove it, fix the issue with blue specks, the issue with the pillar, get your money back, and find another shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:42 PM   #10
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

How did the pillar get scratch like that?
Did you tint the windshield?

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 08:44 PM   #11
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
I didn't realize you could replace those a-pillars. Hopefully it's a pretty easy removal and install.
2009 e92 BS 335i (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:45 PM   #12
gapband
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Yup I had Clear Air ceramic tint installed on the windshield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevemont View Post
I didn't realize you could replace those a-pillars. Hopefully it's a pretty easy removal and install.
I'm pretty sure it is. That's why I'll have them just pay for the part and I'll install it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:47 PM   #13
clevemont
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapband View Post
I'm pretty sure it is. That's why I'll have them just pay for the part and I'll install it.
Good to know. I've dealt with scratches on the pillars for all my M cars for one reason or another and thought that I would just have to live with it. How much is the part for the X3M?
2009 e92 BS 335i (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #14
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. I went to the shop first thing this morning and expressed my disappointment. The shop owner was reluctant to admit fault for the a-pillar damage but was nice enough to come around at the end and offer to replace it. I will get an invoice for the part and send it to him.

As for the PPF, he immediately agreed that there was blue particulate all over the car under the PPF. I pointed out all the other imperfections (misaligned pre-cut film, lifting edges, silvering, fingering, debris). He offered a refund and made an appointment to uninstall the PPF. Should I trust them to do this? He said they use steam which appears to be the right way.

He told me that he thinks there won't be anyone else in the state that can do better and I unfortunately may agree with him there. Arkansas sucks ass.

Yeah, I was too focused on the edges and rushed going over the car at the shop as we stood outside in the blistering, bright sun. This is the first car I've ever PPF'd so I'm an amateur and definitely taking this as a lesson learned.

My heart sunk when I got home, pulled out my flashlight, and combed over the work. It was a disappointment and I find myself more stressed out than I should be with a new toy. I'm dealing with paint peeling issues at the rear of the car and I went to the dealership today to start that process. I hope you vet your installer more than I did mine. This local shop has good reviews, a good online presence, and a nice clean-looking shop, but I never saw their work in person.

I found this XPEL shop in Dallas and may make the trip down there to get my car PPF'd again. If anyone has any recommendations on shops in the southern region, I would love to hear about them.
I recall a recent thread where the poster had his PPF done at the XPEL headquarters (I think San Antonio).

If you are going to Texas, may be worth the extra miles.

Edit: Here ya go: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=violet&page=4

Looks like they are in other Texas cities as well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx_yas View Post
Yes, it's a factory Xpel HQ store that is an install facility. The installers are trained professionals that are employed by Xpel.
Here in TX they have these facilities in San Antonio, Austin, Dallas & Houston.
Might be worth reaching out to satx_yas on the forum to get advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 07:41 AM   #15
gapband
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I recall a recent thread where the poster had his PPF done at the XPEL headquarters (I think San Antonio).

If you are going to Texas, may be worth the extra miles.

Edit: Here ya go: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...=violet&page=4

Looks like they are in other Texas cities as well:

Might be worth reaching out to satx_yas on the forum to get advice.
I used to live in San Antonio and knew that their HQ did great work. Thank you for your input.

Last week I spent 3 days in Dallas to get the job done at Xpel Dallas. They did a phenomenal job. In some of the spots that were protected, I wasn't able to discern whether or not there was film there until they pointed it out. It was that good, and now I know what to expect.

This local shop that did an atrocious install will get a negative review and I hope it saves people in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GRNMACH142.50
TXGrey1284.00
      07-20-2022, 07:51 AM   #16
spta97
Colonel
Rep

I'm glad it worked out for you! It's hard to beat the people who make the product

What did it end up costing?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 08:17 AM   #17
gapband
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad it worked out for you! It's hard to beat the people who make the product

What did it end up costing?
Thank you! We're glad it's all sorted. It's nice to have a 10-year warranty too.

I paid ~2600 with taxes for a full frontal with partial front roof, and a-pillars.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:10 AM   #18
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! We're glad it's all sorted. It's nice to have a 10-year warranty too.

I paid ~2600 with taxes for a full frontal with partial front roof, and a-pillars.
That's not bad at all - especially for quality work.

Have you considered having a ceramic coating applied to the entire car? I really wanted to do a full PPF but was quoted prices of $7k+ so I went with PPF on the front and ceramic all over.

The shop did a good job, not flawless, but I was happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #19
gapband
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's not bad at all - especially for quality work.

Have you considered having a ceramic coating applied to the entire car? I really wanted to do a full PPF but was quoted prices of $7k+ so I went with PPF on the front and ceramic all over.

The shop did a good job, not flawless, but I was happy with it.
Yeah, I definitely wanted to get Xpel's Fusion ceramic coating done all over but I didn't plan to stay in Dallas long enough for them to do it. I also didn't get a quote for it.

I will most likely paint-correct and ceramic coat myself. I still don't trust anyone in my local area with my car lol.

How much did a full ceramic cost you? If it wasn't itemized, how much was it with the frontal PPF?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #20
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I definitely wanted to get Xpel's Fusion ceramic coating done all over but I didn't plan to stay in Dallas long enough for them to do it. I also didn't get a quote for it.

I will most likely paint-correct and ceramic coat myself. I still don't trust anyone in my local area with my car lol.

How much did a full ceramic cost you? If it wasn't itemized, how much was it with the frontal PPF?
For reference, I am in Long Island NY and this was Jan 2020....

$2,050 = XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS Full Hood, Full Bumper, Full Fenders, Side Mirrors, Headlights

$1,200 = Ceramic pro silver exterior package. 2layers of 9h- hardness
1 layer of light - hydrophobic/Gloss
1 layer of rain- glass
1 layer of plastic- plastics
1 layer of 9h/light - rims
1 layer of 9h/light - metals

+ tax of course.

Comparing to my g/f's Supra which got full PPF at another shop and a ceramic coating for ~$6k, my ceramic coating is much better. I feel like the shop that did hers just sprayed on a ceramic based topper and wiped it off. She had some lifting with her PPF but they made it right (Supra has some wicked curves and I think they got more experience).

Mine is still super slick after a wash and for the money I felt it was worth it. The shop where I did mine didn't do a great job on the wheels (there is flashing on a few spokes) but not enough for me to want to go back.

Overall mine looks great but I really wish I had gone with the full PPF for piece of mind (I'm very OCD); along with the ceramic coat but then it is like 10% of the vehicle value and not really a smart financial decision for me.

I have very few miles (~5.5k) but whenever I wash I top off with CarPro Reload.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #21
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

I’m just glad I’m not ocd about my cars, I could honestly care less about minor rock chips, etc., that happen over the years, in fact, I consider it a badge of honor for an M well driven! And nothing a bottle of touch-up can’t fix come time to sell.
Appreciate 1
95wildtt831.00
      07-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #22
gapband
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For reference, I am in Long Island NY and this was Jan 2020....

$2,050 = XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS Full Hood, Full Bumper, Full Fenders, Side Mirrors, Headlights

$1,200 = Ceramic pro silver exterior package. 2layers of 9h- hardness
1 layer of light - hydrophobic/Gloss
1 layer of rain- glass
1 layer of plastic- plastics
1 layer of 9h/light - rims
1 layer of 9h/light - metals

+ tax of course.

Comparing to my g/f's Supra which got full PPF at another shop and a ceramic coating for ~$6k, my ceramic coating is much better. I feel like the shop that did hers just sprayed on a ceramic based topper and wiped it off. She had some lifting with her PPF but they made it right (Supra has some wicked curves and I think they got more experience).

Mine is still super slick after a wash and for the money I felt it was worth it. The shop where I did mine didn't do a great job on the wheels (there is flashing on a few spokes) but not enough for me to want to go back.

Overall mine looks great but I really wish I had gone with the full PPF for piece of mind (I'm very OCD); along with the ceramic coat but then it is like 10% of the vehicle value and not really a smart financial decision for me.

I have very few miles (~5.5k) but whenever I wash I top off with CarPro Reload.
That doesn't sound bad at all! 1200 for ceramic on all those surfaces sounds pretty good. 6k for the supra sounds about right considering those body lines.

I agree about the full PPF. Not only does it not make financial sense, but it just doesn't make sense for me in general. The car is always garaged.

I will definitely be looking to ceramic coat the car in the coming months to make my maintenance washes easier.

I ceramic coated my 892M wheels over a weekend and it was hell. Hand applied and no spray. 2 coats of Ceramic Pro Dlux and 1 of Gliss. Dries like a dream but that brake dust is still a bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YolkyPalky View Post
I’m just glad I’m not ocd about my cars, I could honestly care less about minor rock chips, etc., that happen over the years, in fact, I consider it a badge of honor for an M well driven! And nothing a bottle of touch-up can’t fix come time to sell.
Lucky you! And yes touch-up paint is fine for those who don't care that much.

If this PPF stuff doesn't work out, I'll tear it off and have some fresh paint to throw rocks at.
Appreciate 0