BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-28-2021, 12:03 PM   #67
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_fan View Post
I like this shot of the rear. In this pic, BG contrasts well with the updated LCI gloss black lower valence. Difference of the roof without Pano clearly evident as well. Clean shot.
Thanks car_fan. Hoping to share different views in varied lighting to give a better idea how this color comes across in real life for those who haven't seen one yet. So much depends on the time of day, cloud cover, and angle of the shot that it's tough to capture in just a few images.

Also, thought I'd add - with ~ 450 miles seat time in wide-ranging speed and road conditions, it does come across as improved in its 'fit and finish'. My wife commented that the cabin experience seems better, whether it's through less exterior noise, the updated dash, or just tighter fitment of the various parts - hard to tell but that's the sense we get.

I've had a chance to try out the cruise control and lane keep functions, and it seems smoother than even my 2020 X3MC with the Mar 2020 ISTA-P update. Would be interesting if they could give a 'processing power' capability of these rolling computers, just like they do when you buy a new PC/laptop, as it seems less likely they would have changed out the cameras and sensors but perhaps refined the algorithms which are now more smoothly and quickly calculated with more robust processing ability. Just guessing here, but as rapid as that tech changes nowadays suspect they'd want to take advantage of the added functionality that speed and power can provide.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      08-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #68
M4Ghost
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4

M0000re pics
Appreciate 1
mathys196.50
      08-29-2021, 04:57 AM   #69
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3mghost View Post
M0000re pics
Here you go, x3mghost

Wanted to also mention - shifting in D2 Sport and D3 Sport+ seems smoother during rapid acceleration than in my pre-LCI. Will be interested to see what others think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
jzmundy991.00
leon360x139.50
      08-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #70
silverathlon
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Here you go, x3mghost

Wanted to also mention - shifting in D2 Sport and D3 Sport+ seems smoother during rapid acceleration than in my pre-LCI. Will be interested to see what others think.
Firstly, thanks for the pictures. The color looks amazing!
I have to ask... What are you taking the pictures with? an actual camera or phone? Some great pictures there!!!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      08-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #71
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Such a fantastic looking combo with the color and those wheels!

Surprisingly, I've really grown to like the taillights, particularly when illuminated at night. The only awkward part of the design for me is the front bumper. Max Well how do you find it in person (especially having one each, pre & post LCI)?
Max Well4690.50
mathys196.50
      08-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #72
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverathlon View Post
Firstly, thanks for the pictures. The color looks amazing! I have to ask... What are you taking the pictures with? an actual camera or phone? Some great pictures there!!!
Thanks - just using an iPhone 12 Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Such a fantastic looking combo with the color and those wheels! Surprisingly, I've really grown to like the taillights, particularly when illuminated at night. The only awkward part of the design for me is the front bumper. Max Well how do you find it in person (especially having one each, pre & post LCI)?
Understanding that exterior design can be polarizing, the LCI's updated designs don't bother us. Overall we think they've made positive improvements to the Sport/D2 and Sport+/D3 profiles, cabin experience, iD7 (from iD6) and overall fit and finish.

I still believe the front's structural changes were driven by aerodynamics and not just looks. Whether one part could've/should've been painted or not - I'll leave that to others to debate. I also tend to think the taillights must have some role in modifying rear airflow and turbulence, rather than M just giving the Designers a free pass to do what they wanted, but I could be wrong.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #73
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverathlon View Post
Firstly, thanks for the pictures. The color looks amazing! I have to ask... What are you taking the pictures with? an actual camera or phone? Some great pictures there!!!
Thanks - just using an iPhone 12 Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmundy View Post
Such a fantastic looking combo with the color and those wheels! Surprisingly, I've really grown to like the taillights, particularly when illuminated at night. The only awkward part of the design for me is the front bumper. Max Well how do you find it in person (especially having one each, pre & post LCI)?
Understanding that exterior design can be polarizing, the LCI's updated designs don't bother us. Overall we think they've made positive improvements to the Sport/D2 and Sport+/D3 profiles, cabin experience, iD7 (from iD6) and overall fit and finish.

I still believe the front's structural changes were driven by aerodynamics and not just looks. Whether one part could've/should've been painted or not - I'll leave that to others to debate. I also tend to think the taillights must have some role in modifying rear airflow and turbulence, rather than M just giving the Designers a free pass to do what they wanted, but I could be wrong.
Omg this pic…

Appreciate your perspective!
Max Well4690.50
      08-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #74
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Beautiful car. Thanks for sharing. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      08-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #75
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

What is your opinion on the lack of trim on the center console and going all piano black? The all piano black, which gets micro swirls/scratches seems to be a cost cutting measure on the lci?
      08-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #76
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
What is your opinion on the lack of trim on the center console and going all piano black? The all piano black, which gets micro swirls/scratches seems to be a cost cutting measure on the lci?
Including side-by-side images for ease of comparison. For the LCI they moved the iDrive controller into the grouping of other controls (which has its own framed section). So it would seem they would've had to make the entire center console surround trim CFRP (extending up around the retractable cover) or not at all? Not sure where you would stop it if you tried to just do the right-hand side as the pre-LCI has. Would I have liked to have that? Sure, but I'd have to see the price point to see if it was worth it to me. No doubt it would look great and match the CFRP trim we have elsewhere in the cabin.

And regarding the wireless charger which got dropped with these early production runs (? chip shortage as cause) - we were initially pleased to have that feature in the G01, but by the time we transitioned into the F97 and enjoyed a more spirited driving style, our iPhones rarely stayed in the right position to capture the charge, despite having a cover with some friction to them. That, and it was a slow charge and would often become hot. So even before we got the LCI we've been using USB-wired charge method and just lay our phones in the cupholders or dedicated phone holders we bought which fit into them.

I actually like the added volume now where the charger used to be as more things can be thrown in there and fit even with the cover closed. And I find it's surface to be a more rubbery feel rather than hard plastic like the piano black, and stuff doesn't slide around very much given the angled sides. YMMV
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 08-29-2021 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Corrected 'owned' to what I meant, 'own'
Appreciate 8
ando1954.50
jzmundy991.00
V8MAN497.50
kozzi927.00
      08-29-2021, 12:55 PM   #77
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X3MC

Quote:
Including side-by-side images for ease of comparison. For the LCI they moved the iDrive controller into the grouping of other controls (which has its own framed section). So it would seem they would've had to make the entire center console surround trim CFRP (extending up around the retractable cover) or not at all? Not sure where you would stop it if you tried to just do the right-hand side as the pre-LCI has. Would I have liked to have that? Sure, but I'd have to see the price point to see if it was worth it to me. No doubt it would look great and match the CFRP trim we have elsewhere in the cabin.

And regarding the wireless charger which got dropped with these early production runs (? chip shortage as cause) - we were initially pleased to have that feature in the G01, but by the time we transitioned into the F97 and enjoyed a more spirited driving style, our iPhones rarely stayed in the right position to capture the charge, despite having a cover with some friction to them. That, and it was a slow charge and would often become hot. So even before we got the LCI we've been using USB-wired charge method and just lay our phones in the cupholders or dedicated phone holders we bought which fit into them.

I actually like the added volume now where the charger used to be as more things can be thrown in there and fit even with the cover closed. And I find it's surface to be a more rubbery feel rather than hard plastic like the piano black, and stuff doesn't slide around very much given the angled sides. YMMV
Can you change individual engine, suspension and steering M modes from the console?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 01:01 PM   #78
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper260687 View Post
Those tail lights....

Why BMW
I agree, but once u press the gas pedal, dollars to donuts you'll forget all about them.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      08-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #79
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozumasbullitt View Post
Can you change individual engine, suspension and steering M modes from the console?
No, but its quicker now. You just push the 'Setup' button on the console and look to the monitor (which is now larger) and the screen for all of the settings appears. As a touch screen it takes about 1 sec to choose all three. Even though I'm obviously used to the previous method, and was frustrated the first time I tried it when it wasn't the same, its now clear why they made the change.
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 08-29-2021 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Changed 'Settings' button to the correct 'Setup' name
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 10:10 PM   #80
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for posting this, both look good but the new setup should of been done the same as the g80/g82 with some trim on the perimeter and cover area. It looks like bmw wanted to save some money here. Granted they do charge $900 on the g80 but that also includes the shifters and wheel trim
Max Well4690.50
      08-30-2021, 12:59 AM   #81
Kozumasbullitt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X3MC

Quote:
No, but its quicker now. You just push the 'Setup' button on the console and look to the monitor (which is now larger) and the screen for all of the settings appears. As a touch screen it takes about 1 sec to choose all three. Even though I'm obviously used to the previous method, and was frustrated the first time I tried it when it wasn't the same, its now clear why they made the change.
That's going to be a learning curve for me. I usually only cycle the engine mode so it's only one button press.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 03:40 AM   #82
vampire81
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1

BG looks very nice on the F97. didn't like it much on the saloon.
      08-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #83
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:

Is that USB port where I can put my music library thumb drive? I see one on the right side of the holder?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #84
KodiakEd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 / X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iRN View Post
Is that USB port where I can put my music library thumb drive? I see one on the right side of the holder?
Yes, that is a USB-A port on the right side of the area by the cup holders.
Max Well4690.50
X3MCRN174.50
      08-30-2021, 12:14 PM   #85
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate KodiakEd saying it works there as well, because we've always used the USB-A port in the center console armrest storage area for our music files, which I believe is the main data point for the vehicle when it needs updating (others can correct if I'm wrong, but our jump drive is always pulled out and left loose in that area if we have service updates).

BTW, the main one in the center armrest storage is now a USB-C port, so we just bought a short USB-A to -C connector and it works great for our FLAC files (actually better as now it doesn't stick out as far).
Attached Images

Last edited by Max Well; 08-30-2021 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Changed image
Appreciate 5
X3MCRN174.50
car_fan381.00
kozzi927.00
      08-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #86
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate KodiakEd saying it works there as well, because we've always used the USB-A port in the center console armrest storage area for our music files, which I believe is the main data point for the vehicle when it needs updating (others can correct if I'm wrong, but our jump drive is always pulled out and left loose in that area if we have service updates).

BTW, the main one in the center armrest storage is now a USB-C port, so we just bought a short USB-A to -C connector and it works great for our FLAC files (actually better as now it doesn't stick out as far).
Is the armrest large enough to have an iPhone with a usb-c charging wire out of view charging in it?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2021, 05:48 AM   #87
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is the armrest large enough to have an iPhone with a usb-c charging wire out of view charging in it?
Yes - here are the center console approx dimensions for those not familiar with the G01/F97, and an image of my wife's iPhone 11 Pro Max which easily fits.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X3MCRN174.50
      08-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #88
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Quote:

Question: does music sound. Lot better when you play it from the usb stick vis-à-vis Spotify via Bluetooth? I'm assuming it does, but I want your input. I haven't tried it yet!
Appreciate 0