BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

The PS4S* (Star spec) in the wet

It was raining last week and I did some very non-scientific brake tests. The roads were wet, but they didn't have standing water. It was dry later in the day, so I went back out to compare stopping distances. My tires have about 9000 miles on them, and look like they have plenty of wear left. It was 56F outside.

The PS4S* (Star spec, homologated) seem to take twice as long to stop in the wet. From a full brake slam at just 30 mph, the ABS came on immediately, and stayed on. It felt like I was stopping on snow, just skittering along the road for too long. My first thought was if it was too cold? But it was 56F.

Honestly this made me lose confidence in this Star spec tire. They're great in the dry, but very, very average in the wet.

I've driven PS4S and AS3+ tires on other cars, and I remember them stopping a lot better in the wet.

Wondering if you guys have had the same experience?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #2
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

The BMW star spec PS4S tires are more focused towards dry handling and will give up some in the wet. Tyre Reviews did a pretty good overview of the PS4S v. PS4S star spec: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...t-OE-Tyres.htm

Has a link to their youtube video as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
harperium
Major
Rep

Thanks for the link. Based on my experience in the wet, if I had to replace these tires today, I don't think I would go for the Star spec, since it rains where I drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Sounds like the Pilot Sport 4 All Season might be a better choice for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #5
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I can’t speak for the PS4S, but my Contis are still losing grip in the lower 50 degree temps (when dry). I don’t think I would push them in the rain below 60.

As the PS4S are an aggressive summer compound, I would rerun your test when it is over 60 degrees.

From what I have read here, the PS4S are stable at a lower temp than the Contis (and a far superior tire) but once you add wet they still don’t do as well.

Another thing to check is your tire temp. Regardless of the outside temps it is the tire temp which dictates the performance. You’ll notice summer tires get better when warmed up when you are driving close to their lower limit.

All that said, I run dedicated winter/summer tires as I want the full performance. If you don’t push the summers you can likely get away with a PSAS as mentioned.

They are a good tire (gf has them on her Supra) but I’m sure you are giving up max handling for a wider operating temp. Most people (like her) don’t push as hard (like me).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:00 AM   #6
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I can’t speak for the PS4S, but my Contis are still losing grip in the lower 50 degree temps (when dry). I don’t think I would push them in the rain below 60.

As the PS4S are an aggressive summer compound, I would rerun your test when it is over 60 degrees.
This is what I've been noticing all month. I put on the summers early April, and we've had 45F-ish temps all month. I actually got the rear end to step out on me at 53F (dry roads) by giving it too much throttle around a large left turn (intentionally, as I was poking to see how much grip there was -- not much, as it turned out).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
This is what I've been noticing all month. I put on the summers early April, and we've had 45F-ish temps all month. I actually got the rear end to step out on me at 53F (dry roads) by giving it too much throttle around a large left turn (intentionally, as I was poking to see how much grip there was -- not much, as it turned out).
I don’t know the exact specs, but I’ve heard not to run summers below 40 degrees. Last year I learned 45 was better, this year it seems like 60 is my low limit!

I think next year I’ll wait until May to swap.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #8
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

A lot of the manufactures just state not to drive a vehicle on summer tires below 40F or you risk cracking the rubber; and if the tires drop below that to wait for them to warm up to 40 before moving the car. I don't put my summers on until the long-term forecast tends to be consistently above about 45-50 for the lows. As for the point when they actually get peak traction...that's going to depend more on surface and tire temps than ambient air temp.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
bSwiazzy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post

From what I have read here, the PS4S are stable at a lower temp than the Contis (and a far superior tire) but once you add wet they still don’t do as well.

Another thing to check is your tire temp. Regardless of the outside temps it is the tire temp which dictates the performance. You’ll notice summer tires get better when warmed up when you are driving close to their lower limit.

All that said, I run dedicated winter/summer tires as I want the full performance. If you don’t push the summers you can likely get away with a PSAS as mentioned.

They are a good tire (gf has them on her Supra) but I’m sure you are giving up max handling for a wider operating temp. Most people (like her) don’t push as hard (like me).
I could be wrong but the contis seem like they are a super soft compound and they wear quick

mine were gone at like 7k miles lol

i dont drive like a crazy person but i do pulls if someone tryna test me

btw i live in socal and people here wont replace tires bc it doesnt rain

they be driving on what once use to have treads and they quickly turn into very cheap mickey thompson slicks ha
2021 X3M // RGSport Midpipe + MSS + RaceChipGTS // Retired
2016 Rav4
Appreciate 0