BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Steering clicking

I haven't found anything exactly pertaining to this (also the search function on here is not the easiest).
I got my summer tires put back on a few weeks ago and noticed this clicking noise just when the wheel is centered. I don't hear it while driving, the techs didn't notice anything when putting the wheels back on. It was pretty slight, it's gotten a lot more pronounced.

Here is a video of it:

Obviously, I don't do this every time I drive and I haven't noticed anything while driving. Has anyone experienced this? Only concerned if it's a safety problem and I don't want to get hit with a diagnostic fee if it's simply "because it's old" LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The steering knock sound has been discussed several times, search "thrust piece" and or "steering knock". This is the fix if that's you problem. The redesigned replacement part 32106891974 is inexpensive <$30 and takes 30 minutes to swap out.

steering rack knock fix 32106891974 replacment instructions.pdf
Appreciate 1
okayr31.50
      04-19-2022, 04:02 PM   #3
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
The steering knock sound has been discussed several times, search "thrust piece" and or "steering knock". This is the fix if that's you problem. The redesigned replacement part 32106891974 is inexpensive <$30 and takes 30 minutes to swap out.

Attachment 2863558
I guess it is more of a knock than a 'click' LOL.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah this is more of a knock, I have a "click" that you can feel in the steering wheel when turning left ONLY and is hardly audible. I messed with the telescoping steering wheel and pushed it closer to the dash and it seemed to help but it definitely still happens.

I've done a lot of research on it and have seen responses such as the above fix, tightening certain bolts on the rack, tightening suspension bits, and even retorquing your front wheels.

Not sure if this is a precursor to what you're experiencing or something totally different.
Did it progressively get worse or did it just show up like this one day?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwat View Post
Yeah this is more of a knock, I have a "click" that you can feel in the steering wheel when turning left ONLY and is hardly audible. I messed with the telescoping steering wheel and pushed it closer to the dash and it seemed to help but it definitely still happens.

I've done a lot of research on it and have seen responses such as the above fix, tightening certain bolts on the rack, tightening suspension bits, and even retorquing your front wheels.

Not sure if this is a precursor to what you're experiencing or something totally different.
Did it progressively get worse or did it just show up like this one day?
I noticed it taking the car home from getting my summer changeover done like 3 weeks ago but it could have been there longer. It wasn't very apparent so I was just going to bring it in when I was ready for some other maintenance items but it's gotten progressively louder to the point in the video. Indy shop believes just from the sound it's most likely the thrust piece but we'll find out soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:24 PM   #6
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okayzac View Post
I noticed it taking the car home from getting my summer changeover done like 3 weeks ago but it could have been there longer. It wasn't very apparent so I was just going to bring it in when I was ready for some other maintenance items but it's gotten progressively louder to the point in the video. Indy shop believes just from the sound it's most likely the thrust piece but we'll find out soon.
Let us know how your Indy solves it, I know this is a pretty common "issue"...
Good luck
Appreciate 0