BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2022, 02:42 PM   #1
sraykens
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 F25

Vehicle Check Experience: never again

I'm a first time BMW owner and have a 2014 F25 I bought in August. Needed an oil change and the local dealer (BMW Seattle) has a 3 year $199 plan. They of course give me the usual list of other things they'd like me to have them do at ridiculously inflated prices ($180 for the cabin air filter that is $30 and takes 5 minutes to replace?). But that Vehicle Check...it's the first time I've taken this in, so when I asked how it compared to a courtesy inspection, I was told "oh it is much more comprehensive". Well, I'm working on getting that $199 charge reversed.

The checklist I was given has 24 boxes. Of those, 5 are headings (like "PASSENGER COMPARTMENT:")
3 of them did not apply to my vehicle (spare tire, first aid kit, BMW Mobility System).
3 of them were to tell the onboard computer this service was being done.
That leaves 13 potentially useful things.
But even those minimal things they didn't do. Lighting? I have an inoperable fog light they didn't catch. I have an inoperable tailgate that I told them about and they didn't mention. I have foam parts in the engine bay with evidence of animal gnawing. Even the pine needles trapped under the windshield wiper was still there after their "Check windscreen wipe".

They did tell me the tires are worn and sent me a video of the 1 minute the tech likely spent on this inspection.

So, don't fall for this, at least at BMW Seattle.

(picture attached of the actual checklist)
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      04-04-2022, 05:44 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

…find a reputable independent German car shop going forward. Good luck with your new to you BMW!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 04:43 AM   #3
pole1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 & BMW X1 F48

I accidentally authorised new interior carpets, because while the car was in the BMW shop, I received a text message from the dealer, along with a video link describing what was being done to my car, but that also linked me to a sort of a web page which described the job that was being done to my car, and then some suggestions at the bottom, with check boxes, like, "exterior detailing", "new tyres", "new interior carpets", etc.

Well, somehow I checked the one with new carpets and there I was, standing like a moron when I picked up the car, not understanding why I need to pay extra 300 Euros... Thank god I didn't oder new tyres, I would have popped a gasket right then and there.

Also, at the last inspection, I spent like 100 Euros, they OK'd everything, but missed a huge oil pan leak, so yeah...
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      04-05-2022, 07:44 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

That really is pathetic. And I see that other than the test drive to make sure the brakes work, this $199 inspection does not even measure brake pad thickness. After tire pressure and tread life/damage, that should be item number 2.
Appreciate 0