BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2022, 10:21 AM   #1
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST

Water leaking in from top of windshield.

Hello everyone. I have a 2017 X3 s28i with 76K miles on it. When it rains have water leaking in from what I think is the top of the windshield. I don't have a sunroof. I get water dripping onto the dash from the front right inside corner. My daughter said she pulled the lip of the headliner down in that area and some water poured out. The a-pillar also gets damp. The water collects on the passenger floorboard. I know it's coming from high up, because I can see water droplets on the inside of the windshield at the top right corner, and it pours out of the headliner.

The trim piece along the outside top of the windshield is cracked, and has pieces missing, but I assume this piece is only for looks and maybe wind noise reduction. The windshield is glued in all the way around, right? As far as I know it's the original windshield. Maybe they missed a spot, or it's deteriorating.

Other than the windshield, all I can think of is the roof rail. Does it somehow penetrate the roof sheet-metal in that area? Anyone ever have a glued in windshield start leaking like this?

Do non sunroof models still have some kind of drain up there that can get clogged?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 01:18 PM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

Why is the trim missing? Has the windshield ever been replaced? There is obviously a bad seal and causing water to leak in. I would replace the trim and see if that does anything. But there is a possibility the windshield may need to be resealed if the trim doesn't stop water from getting through.

Not 100% sure if it has a drain since there is no sunroof. Hopefully someone can give some info on that.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post
Why is the trim missing? Has the windshield ever been replaced? There is obviously a bad seal and causing water to leak in. I would replace the trim and see if that does anything. But there is a possibility the windshield may need to be resealed if the trim doesn't stop water from getting through.

Not 100% sure if it has a drain since there is no sunroof. Hopefully someone can give some info on that.
There is no drain.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 01:57 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
There's a seal where the roof rail fasteners attach through the roof though I doubt it's coming from there. More likely the glue for the windshield has a leak. You could try sealing with some RTV along the edge of the glass or take it to a windshield shop for diagnoses/repair. Water and electronics don't mix so the sooner you fix it the better. You could put some painters tape over that area temporarily and or to see if the leak stops.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #5
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdavi011 View Post

I took the passenger side outside trim piece off so I could get a better look at what I was dealing with. If the windshield is glued in all the way around the absence of any exterior trim piece should make no difference on how water tight it is. I have since reinstalled it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 10:44 PM   #6
bimmertech86
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

The windshield is "glued" in with urethane all the way around it creating the seal. The only way water can get in is from a poor urethane seal and the windshield will require removal to correct that. You're correct in that no exterior trim piece or external seal will result in a leak in that area since you don't have a sunroof.
Appreciate 0