BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2022, 11:56 PM   #23
freesole
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M, 2022 Audi RS6

Garage List
Offset is key in this discussion. Great setup and look though, OP.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 04:05 AM   #24
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

I am kind of bewildered that nobody has mentioned what will happen to the handling at the limits. It's comical actually. It makes sense because everyone here drives an SUV and probably doesn't understand why tires come in the sizes that BMW chose. This particular car with that tire configuration will plow into a wall and it just won't turn at the limit
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #25
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X4M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sporty View Post
I am kind of bewildered that nobody has mentioned what will happen to the handling at the limits. It's comical actually. It makes sense because everyone here drives an SUV and probably doesn't understand why tires come in the sizes that BMW chose. This particular car with that tire configuration will plow into a wall and it just won't turn at the limit
What's comical to me is you think I am looking for maximum Lateral G's in an SUV? I'll send your report back to Ben and H&R Corporate. I will relay your detailed Hypothesis and engineering prowess, with your completed report that their spacers are unsafe and "plowable into walls" at speed. The competitive SUV racing world has been put on notice!!!

Last edited by Vettethret; 01-29-2022 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 4
      01-29-2022, 11:52 AM   #26
Arteezy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC F15 X5

Wow looks great
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #27
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I like big butts and I cannot lie....

Very aggressive stance - looks great!

How are you finding the Super Sports? My gf has them on her Supra and they seem like a good tire, perhaps more track oriented though I have yet to get the PS4S.
Appreciate 2
      01-29-2022, 07:12 PM   #28
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettethret View Post
What's comical to me is you think I am looking for maximum Lateral G's in an SUV? I'll send your report back to Ben and H&R Corporate. I will relay your detailed Hypothesis and engineering prowess, with your completed report that their spacers are unsafe and "plowable into walls" at speed. The competitive SUV racing world has been put on notice!!!
Obviously nobody is going to race X3Ms, as implied by my original post, but in an emergency maneuver you may see what happens! It's just Darwin's law at work here
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 07:15 PM   #29
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

It's hilarious that you call a simple tire size change's affect on handling an "engineering hypothesis" as well. It's basic knowledge to even Honda ricers. Sorry that you've screwed up the handling of your car...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 08:13 PM   #30
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's hilarious that you call a simple tire size change's affect on handling an "engineering hypothesis" as well. It's basic knowledge to even Honda ricers. Sorry that you've screwed up the handling of your car...
You're not real bright, are you? I've had numerous 1K builds, and have changed out wheels/tires on 30+ vehicles over the years. But your internet expertise is appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-29-2022, 08:17 PM   #31
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I like big butts and I cannot lie....

Very aggressive stance - looks great!

How are you finding the Super Sports? My gf has them on her Supra and they seem like a good tire, perhaps more track oriented though I have yet to get the PS4S.
I was amazed at the difference in ride quality going from the stock setup with the Contis, to these. These tires soak up imperfections MUCH better, and there is a noticeable improvement in grip as well. I'm not sure if that's due to the increase in contact patch, or compound, but I am definitely happy with these all the way around. I would buy them again.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 08:19 PM   #32
Vettethret
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
What offsets are you using on the wheels?

Thanks,
John
I don't see of the offsets on my receipt, but will call and get those. I want to know as well. (They told me 5 months ago but I forgot)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 10:23 PM   #33
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You're not real bright, are you? I've had numerous 1K builds, and have changed out wheels/tires on 30+ vehicles over the years. But your internet expertise is appreciated!
LOL you obviously don't have any driving skills and have never driven at the limit.

Florida man puts huge ghetto rear tires with mismatched front tire on his BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 10:55 PM   #34
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Guys, I'm not saying Florida man can't do this to his own vehicle. Florida man can do whatever he wants. In fact, I'm happy for Florida man. Glad he did it.

You can too if you want to ruin the handling of your BMW and have it plow into a wall due to excessive understeer at the limit.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #35
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Obviously nobody is going to race X3Ms, as implied by my original post, but in an emergency maneuver you may see what happens! It's just Darwin's law at work here
Quote:
LOL you obviously don't have any driving skills and have never driven at the limit.

By your posts you seem to imply that you're driving your car "at the limit" on public roads, which seems to be a way bigger safety issue than your fantasy understeer scenario.
Appreciate 2
thestimp984.00
      01-30-2022, 07:44 AM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I was amazed at the difference in ride quality going from the stock setup with the Contis, to these. These tires soak up imperfections MUCH better, and there is a noticeable improvement in grip as well. I'm not sure if that's due to the increase in contact patch, or compound, but I am definitely happy with these all the way around. I would buy them again.
Great to hear!

I’m curious of the between the SS and the PS4S and why BMW did not chose to use the SS as “Toyota” did on the Supra.

If it were a build option, I likely would have gone with the PS4S as I was hoping to avoid change outs and I wouldn’t have missed any handling.

I get this is an M car but even the Corvette has the option for all seasons (though at the cost of not getting a performance package).

It seems we were stuck with thinner single season tires. Either go all out or compromise!
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 06:53 PM   #37
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Looks great! You've answered the question I'm sure many are asking about what widths are possible.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #38
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

It's an SUV dude! Driving it at the limit?! Get a race car for that, not an SUV. Darwin's law? Do you even know what that means because I don't think you do.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 02:04 PM   #39
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys, I'm not saying Florida man can't do this to his own vehicle. Florida man can do whatever he wants. In fact, I'm happy for Florida man. Glad he did it.

You can too if you want to ruin the handling of your BMW and have it plow into a wall due to excessive understeer at the limit.
Can confirm does not understeer and plow into anything, handles just fine at speeds because the weight is evenly distributed, rims don't weigh 500lbs and the suspension can carry the roll. I hope you're okay, it sounds like you're in your own world. Reach out if you need help.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 02:54 AM   #40
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Can confirm does not understeer and plow into anything, handles just fine at speeds because the weight is evenly distributed, rims don't weigh 500lbs and the suspension can carry the roll. I hope you're okay, it sounds like you're in your own world. Reach out if you need help.
HAH yeah, it's physically impossible for it to not understeer with 325 rears and 285 fronts. Why do you think the car came stock with almost identical front and rear widths? Do you think BMW said "let's put some skinny rubber bands on so it doesn't have as much grip as it should"? Or "let's put skinny tires on for a few more mpg because this car already gets such bad mpg"?

Anyway, I should have expected this type of response. You guys are not drivers, 'nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:00 AM   #41
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
HAH yeah, it's physically impossible for it to not understeer with 325 rears and 285 fronts. Why do you think the car came stock with almost identical front and rear widths? Do you think BMW said "let's put some skinny rubber bands on so it doesn't have as much grip as it should"? Or "let's put skinny tires on for a few more mpg because this car already gets such bad mpg"?

Anyway, I should have expected this type of response. You guys are not drivers, 'nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #42
HoJoRo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mustang Bullitt

With all due respect 2Sporty for my esteemed friends over in the USA , please provide your unequivocal knowledge of chassis dynamics with respect to say the Porsche 911 GT3 RS,
Granted a lighter car for sure , and a track focused weapon, with a rear engine format , a significant proportion of weight over the rear axle, yet in standard oem format it comes equipped with:

265/35 ZR 20 (F); 325/30 ZR 21 (R)

Which by your understanding and proposition, eclipses "Vetts" setup with respect to wide rears and significantly narrower fronts

Just to note (1995 - 2010) I have tracked most of the best UK Circuits , just my local circuit to complete the UK tour , this time in my X3MC LCi
Gone: 2018 F32 440i MSport+ - Alpine White
Gone: 2018 F87 M2 - Alpine White
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2022, 12:04 PM   #43
Gsavarese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
Cmon we can all agree it looks pretty nice
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #44
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

You're right, all this engineering education and experience, certified racing driver, certified aerospace engineer, built several cars with similar specs and tracked my own X3M with similar spec, but some dude on the internet says its negated because I'm not a "real driver". you got us.
Appreciate 3
HoJoRo315.50
diirk1045.00