BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-21-2022, 11:20 AM   #1
quackmeyer
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 F25 M-Sport

Question Factory Resetting Headunit (Bimmercode failing to read)

A few years ago I had Apple Carplay installed third-party through the USB-drive trick, and it worked great. Last week, car was taken in to dealership for some service and they updated the headunit to NBTevo_Y, and erased pretty much all of my personal settings as well as custom codings.

Not only is Carplay gone, but I'm unable to code the headunit module through Bimmercode (says "error reading coding data"), which I've seen is common. The Carplay mod locks up the headunit so that no additional coding can be done through Bimmercode.

However, now Carplay is gone but I still am unable to code the headunit. I'm looking for any way I can "reset" the headunit to factory settings, or somehow be able to code the headunit again.

Bimmercode is preferred, but I've also seen that people are able to use E-Sys to VO Code the ECU file

Quote:
Just inject new CAFD into ECU, and VO Code it.

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.
I have very limited experience with E-Sys, but I'm also a software engineer, so I'm comfortable doing anything as long as I have a decent guide. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
quackmeyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarred leno View Post
did you told the dealership that you want it it to factory reset ?
No, they performed a recall service (something about programming exhaust) and as a result it updated the NBTevo version. Headunit appears to be fully reset, but it is still acting as if it has the aftermarket Carplay installation blocking me from reading coding data.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

I am pretty sure you'd need to go through the ESYS procedure, it's not something you can do with bimmercode. It happens when the car is "taught" a different module than what is present. I'm guessing the carplay mod makes the car think it's an entirely new headunit. I had to do this when I swapped my pre-LCI climate control panel with a LCI one. Everything worked perfectly without doing the ESYS procedure like it was plug and play-- but I was unable to code it with bimmercode and it would throw IKHA related diagnostic codes.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 08:51 AM   #4
quackmeyer
Rep

Code:
DME2[DiagAddress=18(0x12)]
xxxxxxxxH0U46636
RootCertStatus not available
SWSigStatus accepted
SWTApplications
----------
AppID 195(0xC3)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus not available
FSCCertStatus not available
----------
AppID 157(0x9D)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus not available

EPS[DiagAddress=48(0x30)]
xxxxxxxxH0U46636
SWSigStatus accepted
SWTApplications
----------
AppID 131(0x83)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted

HU_NBT2[DiagAddress=99(0x63)]
xxxxxxxxH0U46636
SWSigStatus accepted
SWTApplications
----------
AppID 158(0x9E)   (NBT iSpeech)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus rejected
----------
AppID 160(0xA0)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted
----------
AppID 368(0x170)    (Unbekannt)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus not available
----------
AppID 111(0x6F)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted
----------
AppID 159(0x9F)    (NBT TextToSpeech)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus rejected
----------
AppID 156(0x9C)   (A4A)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus rejected
----------
AppID 229(0xE5)   (M Laptimer)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus rejected
----------
AppID 289(0x121)
UpgradeIndex 39(0x27)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted
----------
AppID 323(0x143)     (Apple CarPlay)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus rejected
----------
AppID 366(0x16E)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted
----------
AppID 367(0x16F)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted

KAFAS2[DiagAddress=93(0x5D)]
xxxxxxxxH0U46636
SWSigStatus accepted
SWTApplications
----------
AppID 126(0x7E)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus accepted
----------
AppID 190(0xBE)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus not available
----------
AppID 191(0xBF)
UpgradeIndex 1(0x01)
SWTType SWTclassic light
FSCStatus not available
I now know that the underlying problem has to do with a couple of rejected FSC codes from the CarPlay installation. Funnily enough, I've since paid the $300 to activate CarPlay through BMW, but these fake FSC codes still show up.

I'm able to code the HU_NBT2 through E-Sys no problem, but now i'm wondering if there is a way to remove the rejected FSC codes. Not causing any issues, but it doesn't look good.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:43 PM   #5
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

Did you try disconnecting your battery? I know if you do, AFTER DISCONNECTING take the positive cable and negative cables and touch them together holding for about 15 20 seconds. This might work and then let you re code with bimmercode. This might be something to consider before paying out any $$$. Eather way please keep us updated. Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 10:36 PM   #6
quackmeyer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleob View Post
Did you try disconnecting your battery? I know if you do, AFTER DISCONNECTING take the positive cable and negative cables and touch them together holding for about 15 20 seconds. This might work and then let you re code with bimmercode. This might be something to consider before paying out any $$$. Eather way please keep us updated. Thanks for sharing
Well this is a very interesting idea, any reasoning why that would work? Like the FSC codes are stored in memory and totally killing the power would reset them? I would assume that the electronics also have a small battery (like CMOS on computer boards) that would keep things going, but that's just wishful thinking.

Not sure if I'll try that or not. I messaged the legend ShawnSheridan and told him that despite my FSC codes showing rejected, the respective functions are still working (nav, text-to-speech, Carplay, etc.) and he was dumbfounded.

No issues at the moment, so I think I'll just leave the car alone for now. I have a habit of getting in over my head and overcomplicating things
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #7
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

I don't know the technical answer. I was told to do this by my BMW certified technician. I also have a 328i convertible. I was having an issue with the head unit with some settings. After doing this it cleared the coding issue I was having. Good luck and keep us posted please
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #8
alekseyk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmeyer View Post
A few years ago I had Apple Carplay installed third-party through the USB-drive trick, and it worked great. Last week, car was taken in to dealership for some service and they updated the headunit to NBTevo_Y, and erased pretty much all of my personal settings as well as custom codings.

Not only is Carplay gone, but I'm unable to code the headunit module through Bimmercode (says "error reading coding data"), which I've seen is common. The Carplay mod locks up the headunit so that no additional coding can be done through Bimmercode.

However, now Carplay is gone but I still am unable to code the headunit. I'm looking for any way I can "reset" the headunit to factory settings, or somehow be able to code the headunit again.

Bimmercode is preferred, but I've also seen that people are able to use E-Sys to VO Code the ECU file

I have very limited experience with E-Sys, but I'm also a software engineer, so I'm comfortable doing anything as long as I have a decent guide. Thanks in advance!
Can please share a guide how you installed a carplay through usb stick?
Also, wondering if there are any instructions how to do coding using usb stick, or need to purchase OBD cable for it
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #9
ykz1991
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330E

I’m having the same issue right now with my car. Could you please share how you ended up fixing it? Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 03:40 AM   #10
noxeternus
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Having done exactly the same thing and after a recall everything is now gone and I can't code Idrive. Was this ever solved ?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 06:24 AM   #11
bennywebb
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I seem to be in the same boat here after a recent HU replacement and lost my stuff.

I was thinking about trying out Bimmercode out of convenience to re-code my car as my e-sys version expired ages ago. From what I'm trying to understand from this thread, does Bimmercode not work if you get an aftermarket carplay activation? Just thought I'd ask the question before I drop the cash on an adapter and the app unnecessarily.

Or is it the case that seeing as I have a completely new HU I should be fine to have both?
Appreciate 0