BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2022, 09:16 AM   #23
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Sounds the same as the prototype that was on my '20 X3MC.

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 10:55 AM   #24
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Got the mid pipe installed today. Decided to have it welded vs using the clamps. I’m very happy with the results. No drone when in Efficient but livable in other modes. Burbles and pops sound amazing.

Before:

After:
Sounds good! This is with stock downpipes correct? What was the reasoning to weld vs clamping?
      05-10-2022, 11:36 AM   #25
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Base

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
Sounds good! This is with stock downpipes correct? What was the reasoning to weld vs clamping?
Stock downpipes. I’m not a big fan of exhaust clamps. I’ve seen them loosen and cause exhaust leaks. That was years ago so maybe they have improved. Since it’s not a DIY for me I decided to just have my installer weld them. For DIY the clamps make sense as most DIY folks won’t have access to stainless welding rod. They can always cut the welds if I decided to go back to stock but doubt I ever will.
Appreciate 2
BrockDM2043.00
      05-10-2022, 08:22 PM   #26
SeattleX4MC
White Lightning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4MC

For those considering the same mod... I had the race cats installed today. The car now has a nice deep tone. HOWEVER the rasp that was present with the ER mid-pipe at about 2000 rpm is just over the top now and not in a good way! Sounds cheap and tinny.

Did not get much of chance to drive it today. Going to put a few more miles on it tomorrow to see if I can live with it, but I already have an appointment with the shop to put the stock mid-pipe on and will likely keep that plan given my first impressions.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #27
SeattleX4MC
White Lightning
United_States
Rep

Well the saga continues! I feel like Goldilocks "This on is too loud, this one is too quiet" and have yet to find just right. I am happy to be rid of ER mid pipe. Even before the downpipes, IMHO it was raspy in a cheap way. With the high flow cats it was embarrassingly loud and the ever present rasp was only made worse.

With the quest for more horsepower being the priority, a stage 2 tune and downpipes were the next needed step. The stock mid-pipe has a great deep tone with the new DP's but just too quiet now, even with the valves open. Can't find a shop locally willing to cut out the secondary cats "against Federal law" they say, so I have ordered the Dinan X pipe to remove the resonator. Hopefully achieving "just right" soon.

More to come as the story unfolds...
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #28
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleX4MC View Post
Well the saga continues! I feel like Goldilocks "This on is too loud, this one is too quiet" and have yet to find just right. I am happy to be rid of ER mid pipe. Even before the downpipes, IMHO it was raspy in a cheap way. With the high flow cats it was embarrassingly loud and the ever present rasp was only made worse.

With the quest for more horsepower being the priority, a stage 2 tune and downpipes were the next needed step. The stock mid-pipe has a great deep tone with the new DP's but just too quiet now, even with the valves open. Can't find a shop locally willing to cut out the secondary cats "against Federal law" they say, so I have ordered the Dinan X pipe to remove the resonator. Hopefully achieving "just right" soon.

More to come as the story unfolds...
Sorry to hear that man. No pun intended It has to be the combination. Stock everything except the ER mid pipe and I have no drone at all. Drove about 100 miles today on all kinds roads from 45-75 it sounds sounds amazing to me and my wife.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #29
SeattleX4MC
White Lightning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that man. No pun intended It has to be the combination. Stock everything except the ER mid pipe and I have no drone at all. Drove about 100 miles today on all kinds roads from 45-75 it sounds sounds amazing to me and my wife.
Thanks Mike! I have a lead on a shop that may remove the secondary cats. Prefer this to the resonator for better exhaust flow. Hoping for a good outcome soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #30
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleX4MC View Post
Thanks Mike! I have a lead on a shop that may remove the secondary cats. Prefer this to the resonator for better exhaust flow. Hoping for a good outcome soon!
I saw you said the shop refused to remove the secondary cats….find another shop. The shop you used just does not want the job. If that had removed the secondary cats there would be no way to trace that back to them. Removing the secondary cats my be technically illegal but you have primary cats with 02 sensors and likely only a dealer would know. Find a custom exhaust shop. The cats are a greater restriction than the resonator in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 03:24 PM   #31
SeattleX4MC
White Lightning
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw you said the shop refused to remove the secondary cats….find another shop. The shop you used just does not want the job. If that had removed the secondary cats there would be no way to trace that back to them. Removing the secondary cats my be technically illegal but you have primary cats with 02 sensors and likely only a dealer would know. Find a custom exhaust shop. The cats are a greater restriction than the resonator in my opinion.
I actually do not have primary cats at least not proper ones. Mine are race cats... 200 CL. It seems like the Feds have put the fear of God into the local muffler shops but my current angle is trying to get resonators installed in the ER mid-pipe and then reinstall it back in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #32
jspiegel
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition

Quote:
Got the mid pipe installed today. Decided to have it welded vs using the clamps. I’m very happy with the results. No drone when in Efficient but livable in other modes. Burbles and pops sound amazing.

Before:

After:
Is this the Evolution Racewerks mid pipe?

Do you have any other mods on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 04:05 PM   #33
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2024 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Is this the Evolution Racewerks mid pipe?

Do you have any other mods on the car?
Yes, it’s the ER mid pipe and no, I have no other mods.
Appreciate 1