BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #23
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmon6691 View Post
I'm super relieved I found this thread before I started going after antennas, fobs, or even the CAS module for replacements. I've been struggling with inconsistent comfort access ignition since I bought my F25 and was really puzzled after changing the fob batteries didn't make any difference at all. So I pulled off the tail lights and sure enough, there are the amazon LED drivers.

But the problem is, the I've been looking for an alternative and have only found one. It looks similar but I'm not sure this one will actually be any better, the description doesn't address the comfort access issue. There's only one review saying it worked, but I'm wondering if anyone here has more information about a better replacement LED driver that worked for them.

The one alternative I've been able to find: https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Impro...20Sellers%20on
Welcome to the forum...

You could buy these, though it's a little more work. I re-soldered 2 of my stock ones a few years ago and they're still working fine.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 04:56 PM   #24
jonmon6691
Rep
Drives: '14 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Welcome to the forum...

You could buy these, though it's a little more work. I re-soldered 2 of my stock ones a few years ago and they're still working fine.
Thanks! And thanks for the link, that's perfect. I figured with how simple this connector is, 12v in, LED out, that the board had to be doing a pretty simple job. An off the shelf power supply with actual EMC certification is exactly the right fix imo.

I already tried wrapping the drivers in tin foil (with a layer of insulation of course) but that hasn't helped. After that I figured the conducted emissions through the wiring harness are probably the bulk of the problem so I have some ferrite beads in the mail but looks like I won't be needing them .
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:40 PM   #25
jonmon6691
Rep

Can't even begin to tell you how glad I am I came across this thread! Got the proper LED driver's installed and my key fob reception issue is 100% gone, AND as a bonus, I was having issues with FM radio reception and that's cleared up as well. I expect the occasional TPMS popup I was getting will also be fixed. It's a rare day that a silver bullet like this comes along!

Hey if you're looking for a good april fools prank, just replace your buddy's LED drivers with these amazon pieces of crap

I ended up desoldering the connectors and using them to attach the new board so the mod doesn't touch the stock harness at all. I think someone could make some money buy putting this power supply on a simple PCB with the proper connector and the proper size so it slots into the housing like the original...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #26
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Fiddlesticks! I guess That means I need to swap out the 3 LED driver boards I replaced over the past couple years with these different ones!

Shoot - more fiddly work to do but it would be good to get the comfort access working properly again.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #27
jonmon6691
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Fiddlesticks! I guess That means I need to swap out the 3 LED driver boards I replaced over the past couple years with these different ones!

Shoot - more fiddly work to do but it would be good to get the comfort access working properly again.
I'm curious are you noticing any effects like comfort access not working etc.? I'm just surprised that the symptoms were so bad on my x3 with these, but somehow those awful boards are really the only thing being sold for replacing the LED driver boards
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #28
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
I'm curious are you noticing any effects like comfort access not working etc.? I'm just surprised that the symptoms were so bad on my x3 with these, but somehow those awful boards are really the only thing being sold for replacing the LED driver boards
There's an assortment of electronics in the rear hatch area and when several poorly designed electric circuits with RF leakage (cheap aftermarket LED drivers) are placed in that area, things are going to get flaky. There may be some better aftermarket driver boards out there, but I suggested the ones I linked that @jonmon6691 used since they are designed by professionals, not amateurs just trying to make a profit.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:59 PM   #29
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I absolutely am. Mostly ends up being that it doesn't pick up the remote to start the car unless it's quite close to the steering column and the comfort access is flaky.

I also noticed that my remote used to work from really far away and now it works in about a 15 meter distance from the car if I am lucky.

Also, my FM radio reception is not as good as it used to be... especially noticable when going into an underground garage or driving out of town.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 01:50 PM   #30
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

Quote:
Quote:
I absolutely am. Mostly ends up being that it doesn't pick up the remote to start the car unless it's quite close to the steering column and the comfort access is flaky.

I also noticed that my remote used to work from really far away and now it works in about a 15 meter distance from the car if I am lucky.

Also, my FM radio reception is not as good as it used to be... especially noticable when going into an underground garage or driving out of town.
I'm using one of the aftermarket led driver boards as well. I tried to repair the original board by re-soldering the known problem area to no avail. A few things I've noticed with the replacement board are below:

1) The remote key is not picked up to start the car like it once was needing to be held at the steering column to start the car.
2) The rear led lights now have a buzzing hum sound when the rear DRL's are on.
3) The AM radio signal gets interference at times now unlike before.
4) The TPS system signals a fault due to interference.

I noticed on the original Valeo board that it has a thick aluminum backplate that may shield the interference signal and/or acts like a heat sink as well.

After noticing this aluminum backplate, I created one for the aftermarket board and at this point the above noticed issues seem to be resolved except for the slight buzzing sound.

Fingers are crossed…
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 02:33 PM   #31
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Bimmer View Post
I'm using one of the aftermarket led driver boards as well. I tried to repair the original board by re-soldering the known problem area to no avail. A few things I've noticed with the replacement board are below:

1) The remote key is not picked up to start the car like it once was needing to be held at the steering column to start the car.

I noticed on the original Valeo board that it has a thick aluminum backplate that may shield the interference signal and/or acts like a heat sink as well.

After noticing this aluminum backplate, I created one for the aftermarket board and at this point the above noticed issues seem to be resolved except for the slight buzzing sound.

Fingers are crossed…
That is interesting! I can't remember how thick the aluminum was on the back of the original. Did you just go somewhere to get some sheet aluminum cut to size to glue to the back of the board? What dimensions - especially thickness - did you go with?

I ordered those other LED drivers noted above (waiting for delivery) but wonder if this solution is easier. Either way, at least we have a way to solve this.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #32
X3Bimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 35i - %E2%80%9821 X3 M4

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Bimmer View Post

Fingers are crossed…
That is interesting! I can't remember how thick the aluminum was on the back of the original. Did you just go somewhere to get some sheet aluminum cut to size to glue to the back of the board? What dimensions - especially thickness - did you go with?

I ordered those other LED drivers noted above (waiting for delivery) but wonder if this solution is easier. Either way, at least we have a way to solve this.
I ended up getting another aftermarket board from Amazon that has an attached aluminum back plate like the original led board. It doesn't have a buzzing sound like the last one and I still get a TPMS fault but only occasionally now. If it doesn't get any worse I'll leave it alone. Otherwise, I have new led drivers to use if needed…
Appreciate 0