BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2021, 09:24 PM   #155
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

i went to mechanics yesterday and the timing guide was broken in 6 places. The bits were luckily in the sump, however he said there was the standard tension on timing chain. The pully was also shiny meaning it was well worn.

So even if bmw do the test your car could be a time bomb. I took video and pictures.

Beware. Its worth getting someone to pop the valve cover to take a good look. Could save you a lot of money in the long run especially if you are over 70,000 miles or the 7 year warranty. You are luckily covered by the 12 months form the court order like me.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #156
mike_MAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94vtirozguy View Post
i went to mechanics yesterday and the timing guide was broken in 6 places. The bits were luckily in the sump, however he said there was the standard tension on timing chain. The pully was also shiny meaning it was well worn.

So even if bmw do the test your car could be a time bomb. I took video and pictures.

Beware. Its worth getting someone to pop the valve cover to take a good look. Could save you a lot of money in the long run especially if you are over 70,000 miles or the 7 year warranty. You are luckily covered by the 12 months form the court order like me.
Had my X3 go through the test and it passed. Everything was free of charge and was also offered a loaner. It only has 39k miles on it so I would expected it to pass. My mind is still not at ease at this point.
I guess all I can do now and pay for one final test before the end of the 8th year... or do both and have someone check under the value cover too...

Are you going to get it fixed at an Indy shop?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #157
94vtirozguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 F25 (N20)

i'm lucky my brother in law is a mechanic and currently doing it.
Appreciate 0