BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-09-2024, 10:15 AM   #1
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 30i M sport

Trunk not opening

2019 X3 30i

Trunk does not want to open at times, I've noticed it is much more prominent during the day when the sun here in Florida is shining right on the tail gate.

I press keyfob trunk button and it TRIES to open but just stays closed. Only way to open is to push in and out on the trunk while pressing physical button on the tail gate itself and it opens after a while of playing with it. I saw a post about maybe its the rubber tail gate stoppers on each side? I just moved to Florida a month ago and it would do this in NYC as well but rarely. Here it's 95% of the time. CPO warranty just ended last week as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:02 PM   #2
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:17 PM   #3
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Don’t you have to hold the button on the fob to open and close it as opposed to pulling and pressing the button once on the door? I’m sure that’s what I have to do on mine.
      04-15-2024, 02:18 PM   #4
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenkid22 View Post
2019 X3 30i

Trunk does not want to open at times, I've noticed it is much more prominent during the day when the sun here in Florida is shining right on the tail gate.

I press keyfob trunk button and it TRIES to open but just stays closed. Only way to open is to push in and out on the trunk while pressing physical button on the tail gate itself and it opens after a while of playing with it. I saw a post about maybe its the rubber tail gate stoppers on each side? I just moved to Florida a month ago and it would do this in NYC as well but rarely. Here it's 95% of the time. CPO warranty just ended last week as well.
The one major non-wear-part failure I had with my previous BMW, a 3-series wagon, was with the automatic tailgate mechanism.

It started behaving a bit like yours: not opening or closing properly, hesitating, going back and forth.

I made an appointment with the dealer.

Before the appointment, one strut self-destructed. It sounded like a shotgun discharge. The spring went flying.

The dealer replaced the mechanism. It cost about a grand.
      04-23-2024, 08:30 AM   #5
Jadenkid22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
The one major non-wear-part failure I had with my previous BMW, a 3-series wagon, was with the automatic tailgate mechanism.

It started behaving a bit like yours: not opening or closing properly, hesitating, going back and forth.

I made an appointment with the dealer.

Before the appointment, one strut self-destructed. It sounded like a shotgun discharge. The spring went flying.

The dealer replaced the mechanism. It cost about a grand.
So it opens perfectly fine once even slightly open. The problem is the lock releasing it in the first place. It's like if the striker/lock gets stuck. Once it releases the electric portion works fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 09:36 AM   #6
NoMoreVauxhalls
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

I see you mentioned the rubber bump stops, but it's not clear if you tried to adjust?

I guess it's possible that, if one or both of these is set too high, it might result in some sort of tension in the lock area that could impede the releasing of the latch...
Appreciate 0