BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2021, 07:12 AM   #1
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Over the air first update - '22 X3M

This week I got my first OTA update, which is something that I was looking forward to. Some observations:

- It downloads automatically while you are driving and once it's ready and you turn off the car, it will prompt you to start the update.

- the car let's you know you won't be able to use the car for several minutes while it updates

- it reset at least some of my BimmerCode changes, most notably the distracted driving warning every time I turn on the car. Super annoying!

- I feel the turning signal is louder know. Is this in my head? It's very annoying. Could not understand the complaints from people before in the forums, but now I hear and endorse it!

What has your experience been with this method of update and the latest upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 08:21 AM   #2
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I had it on my 2019 X5 well it was supposed to have it when I bought it, didn't work for like a year and a half, but then got 3 or 4 updates while owning it. Overall it almost always wipes out bimmercode, the odd settings stays but most you need to redo and almost always bimmercode doesn't support the new version right away to some degree, so sometimes you have to wait to do some of the coding after the update until bimmercode catches up. Almost always I hardly notice any improvements, usually like you I notice a few things maybe different, but typically no major improvements.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #3
KodiakEd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 / X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f82fanatic View Post
This week I got my first OTA update, which is something that I was looking forward to. Some observations:

- It downloads automatically while you are driving and once it's ready and you turn off the car, it will prompt you to start the update.

- the car let's you know you won't be able to use the car for several minutes while it updates

- it reset at least some of my BimmerCode changes, most notably the distracted driving warning every time I turn on the car. Super annoying!

- I feel the turning signal is louder know. Is this in my head? It's very annoying. Could not understand the complaints from people before in the forums, but now I hear and endorse it!

What has your experience been with this method of update and the latest upgrade?
I haven't seen one yet for my X3, except yesterday when I added the remote start. My wife's X7 had the over the air update about two weeks ago and it took about 20 minutes or so to complete. You have to make sure that the key is in the vehicle and parking brake is on for it to apply, which I did while sitting in the garage.
Oldgixxer1969.50
      12-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #4
f82fanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakEd View Post
Quote:

I haven't seen one yet for my X3, except yesterday when I added the remote start. My wife's X7 had the over the air update about two weeks ago and it took about 20 minutes or so to complete. You have to make sure that the key is in the vehicle and parking brake is on for it to apply, which I did while sitting in the garage.
Weird how they are releasing these out then. Our cars are contemporary I believe. I received mine August 2021 and I believe yours arrived around the same time. 🤷*♂️.

You are right, it asked for parking brake and had my key on me. But I left the car with the key, locked it, and it did it's thing (didn't have to leave the key inside).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #5
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
nothing exciting or noteworthy. as you mentioned, I downloaded the update on my phone, did my usual routine with the phone plugged in. come Monday morning, I park the car, lock the door, leave (I commute to work) and let the update do its thing.

haven't noticed any changes except for the return of the warning start-up message on the idrive that I previously coded out.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #6
Baylorguy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On Order: 2022 X3M, ZCP, Exec

I don't plan on doing any of the updates unless I can read first very specifically what is being updated via release notes. I have my over air update turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 08:46 AM   #7
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

What is the update version you are referring to?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 10:48 PM   #8
Klazu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Man, I wish 2021 models would have had full iDrive7 to have OTA updates. So silly that they don't.
Appreciate 0