BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2019, 05:09 PM   #749
madawcisrich
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 G02

Oh really? Do we have the same acceleration reactivity in Sport+ if I sudden accelerate? I feel that the normal SPORT mode just doens't have the immediat accelelration than the SPORT+ mode. I will give it a try tomorrow.

Sorry to bother you, but I have two other questions:

1. Among the options list, I see that I have perfume pack. (this is a presentation car from a bmw dealer with 4500 km). However, I cannot find the little perfume device in the glove box or anywhere in the car. Where can I locate that thing please? If it is missing, should I go back to the dealer to ask?

2. There is something really annoying about music/radio control. When a music on the hard drive or a radio is playing, there is NO WAY to stop them! I looked everywhere and tried everything, it is just impossible to stop them. This is really annoying. Do you guys know the solution?

Thank you very much
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:14 PM   #750
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madawcisrich View Post

Sorry to bother you, but I have two other questions:

1. Among the options list, I see that I have perfume pack. (this is a presentation car from a bmw dealer with 4500 km). However, I cannot find the little perfume device in the glove box or anywhere in the car. Where can I locate that thing please? If it is missing, should I go back to the dealer to ask?

Thank you very much
You should be able to find it inside the glove compartment. In order to effectively see the cartridges you need to press a plastic tab/lid at the top left inside the glove compartment, a bit similar to what you see on this video:
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:17 PM   #751
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Oh really? Do we have the same acceleration reactivity in Sport+ if I sudden accelerate? I feel that the normal SPORT mode just doens't have the immediat accelelration than the SPORT+ mode. I will give it a try tomorrow.
Unless BMW have changed the strategy and I've missed reference to it, shifting to M/S gives the full sport function to the transmission. Allows block changing, even 8th to 2nd if appropriate, under hard acceleration. Full acceleration is available, nothing held back for Sport+ mode. Comfort throttle mapping doesn't restrict engine output, you still have WOT and kick-down available.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #752
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Quote:
Hi everyone,

has someone discovered a way to fast switch driving mode?

I often need to switch to sport plus mode to pass some cars on highway and I like the sudden acceleration when we switch to sport+. However, it is really dangereous to do that when we have to look at the driving mode buttons and press precisely on the sport button to switch. This is slow and dangerous.

I noticed that by shifting the gear lever to the left, some "S1 S2" display on the dashboard. Is this the standard sport mode? I also noticed that we can have this "S1 S2" when we are under ECO PRO Mode or Confort Mode.

On my previous golf gti, I just need to shift down once the gear lever to switch to sport mode and benefit instant acceleration, that was fast.

So do you guys know if there is a safer and faster way to switch driving mode to SPORT+?

Thank you in advance!
Use Adaptive mode, it automatically switches depending on driving style.
Or just code it to always start in Sports or Sports+ mode. :

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:21 PM   #753
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I often need to switch to sport plus mode to pass some cars on highway and I like the sudden acceleration when we switch to sport+. However, it is really dangereous to do that when we have to look at the driving mode buttons and press precisely on the sport button to switch. This is slow and dangerous.

I noticed that by shifting the gear lever to the left, some "S1 S2" display on the dashboard. Is this the standard sport mode? I also noticed that we can have this "S1 S2" when we are under ECO PRO Mode or Confort Mode.

On my previous golf gti, I just need to shift down once the gear lever to switch to sport mode and benefit instant acceleration, that was fast.

So do you guys know if there is a safer and faster way to switch driving mode to SPORT+?

Thank you in advance!
That's great, if you own a fuel company!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #754
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
That's great, if you own a fuel company!
I've been averaging 17.4MPG so far. I drive close to 250 miles per week all in city traffic so my MPGs won't be that great no matter the mode I'm in. And let's be honest I bought the M40i for the performance so of course I'll be in Sport mode the vast majority of time.

Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #755
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've been averaging 17.4MPG so far. I drive close to 250 miles per week all in city traffic so my MPGs won't be that great no matter the mode I'm in. And let's be honest I bought the M40i for the performance so of course I'll be in Sport mode the vast majority of time.
The torque in mine with the tune is too much for normal road use in sport mode tbh! End up Ken Blocking it out of every junction!
Appreciate 2
chicagofan0019147.50
muzzalad268.50
      03-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #756
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The torque in mine with the tune is too much for normal road use in sport mode tbh! End up Ken Blocking it out of every junction!

Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      03-18-2019, 06:35 PM   #757
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal4uk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Just to add, if your gear shifter remains in "D", the temporary manual shift mode (activated by pressing the steering wheel paddle shifter) will revert back to "D" fairly quickly. Mine does this in less than a minute. This is a great feature to use in situation like passing on motorway or going down slope with engine braking, that you only need the downshift for a short moment.
Interesting... When I'm passing (in comfort mode usually on the highway), I've been slapping the shifter to the left. Seems to drop gear fast, but I'm accelerating at practically the same time.

Would it make more sense to just hit the down paddle? Any reason one would work better than the other? I guess the down paddle would require no further action... Whereas, I always put the shifter back after passing...
When you put the gear shifter left to M/S, you change the shift characteristic from normal "D" to Sport automatic. Be careful if you press the paddle shifter now, the transmission will turn into full manual mode and you are on your own in changing gears unless you cancel the manual mode.

In Sport gear shifting "S" (do not confuse this with Sport drive mode, which is totally different), the transmission tend to stay at least a gear or two lower than "D" at any given speed. So, simply by moving the gear shifter to M/S will downshift just because of this. In addition, gear changing will also be quicker than in "D" where gear changing is a leisurely paced event. The final 8th gear is also locked out so you will not get the best mpg in highway cruising. I had an earlier post about my experiment doing "S" in Comfort mode.

So, if you intend to downshift jut for a very brief moment, then paddle shift down on a temporary basis may be easier.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24417895

Please note that Sport transmission can be used in conjunction with Sport Plus Drive mode (these two are independent, but additive) to get the ultimate Sport driving offered by the car, but be prepare for occasional jerky gear shifting.
Appreciate 2
muzzalad268.50
      03-18-2019, 07:42 PM   #758
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance!
Maybe put double side tape and some little nub to give a feel for the switch so you can keep your eyes on the road.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #759
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

If your mirrors are folded, it will auto unfold while driving. One time I forgot to unfold it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #760
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
If your mirrors are folded, it will auto unfold while driving. One time I forgot to unfold it.
Yep, the speed threshold is 25 mph for the mirrors to fold out automatically.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:48 AM   #761
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

has anyone ever figured out first hand if the auto brake function works for frontal collision?
I have not yet discovered it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #762
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooseMan View Post
You should be able to find it inside the glove compartment. In order to effectively see the cartridges you need to press a plastic tab/lid at the top left inside the glove compartment, a bit similar to what you see on this video:
I dread to think how much the replacement Fragrance modules are, built in smart chips would imply a level of technology way beyond the plug in Air Freshener from Halfords which probably does the same thing
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #763
hal4uk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
When you put the gear shifter left to M/S, you change the shift characteristic from normal "D" to Sport automatic. Be careful if you press the paddle shifter now, the transmission will turn into full manual mode and you are on your own in changing gears unless you cancel the manual mode.

In Sport gear shifting "S" (do not confuse this with Sport drive mode, which is totally different), the transmission tend to stay at least a gear or two lower than "D" at any given speed. So, simply by moving the gear shifter to M/S will downshift just because of this. In addition, gear changing will also be quicker than in "D" where gear changing is a leisurely paced event. The final 8th gear is also locked out so you will not get the best mpg in highway cruising. I had an earlier post about my experiment doing "S" in Comfort mode.

So, if you intend to downshift jut for a very brief moment, then paddle shift down on a temporary basis may be easier.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24417895

Please note that Sport transmission can be used in conjunction with Sport Plus Drive mode (these two are independent, but additive) to get the ultimate Sport driving offered by the car, but be prepare for occasional jerky gear shifting.
Thanks very much for the detailed explanation! Passing quickly on a two lane was my primary reason for choosing the sport model. Next time I'm on a two lane with no one around, at cruising speed, I'll paddle down one and hammer the throttle to see how it reacts!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #764
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
has anyone ever figured out first hand if the auto brake function works for frontal collision?
I have not yet discovered it.
I've had it apply full brake force when I switched lanes and a car ahead of pulled into my lane in front of me and went to next lane. It beeped and the red car popped up. Since the car in front of me switched 2 lanes quickly I had let off brakes but I could feel the car braking for a second or two.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #765
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
To quickly turn off the airflow/fan you can press and hold the left side down and it will turn off. Even better is the fact that if you press the right side to turn it back on, it will resume at the same setting it was at previously. It's the little things like this that make it such a nice vehicle.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
teaston10994.50
      03-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #766
bl0ckev
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d G01

Firmly pressing the toggle button up or down on the cruise control changes the speed to the nearest multiplication of 5mph then up or down in 5's.

e.g.
If travelling at 28mph firmly pressing up will go to 30mph, press again, 35mph, 40mph etc
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #767
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl0ckev View Post
Firmly pressing the toggle button up or down on the cruise control changes the speed to the nearest multiplication of 5mph then up or down in 5's.

e.g.
If travelling at 28mph firmly pressing up will go to 30mph, press again, 35mph, 40mph etc
Nice feature, also found on VW and M-B vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #768
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

For shifting tips: If you HOLD the left paddle while moving, it will shift down to the lowest gear possible at that moment - so for people who want to pass the fastest, this is a great way to do it.
      03-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #769
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

e.g.
It’s been like this since Fxx. Doesn’t your X3 have speed limit assist? On mine I just have to click once when entering a new speed limit to set it to that speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #770
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

e.g.
It’s been like this since Fxx. Doesn’t your X3 have speed limit assist? On mine I just have to click once when entering a new speed limit to set it to that speed.
Quote:
Sometimes you don't have the option to use that method (for example car didn't see the sign for whatever reason).