BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #23
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Only Californians driving to Tahoe . . .
True, dat ...
Quote:
Forgot to add, "a drive that I miss."
Well, driving to Santa Cruz from San Jose (rarely), over the Grapevine to LA, past Lake Shasta, or over the Tehachipi's to Barstow.
But, point taken. Been in California for almost every winter, and my blinders are showing.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #24
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
For me it is a difference of 2k CDN between 19" and 20".

I managed to get the dealer to fit the 19" M 369 as my winter set without extra cost.
Whaaaat no way. I believe the 19'' is standard with m sport. But I went to the dealer and they said 20'' was 5K+....i was drooling though...do you mind pm me your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #25
mcmasman
Enlisted Member
Norway
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW X3 2.0D msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopop View Post
Whaaaat no way. I believe the 19'' is standard with m sport. But I went to the dealer and they said 20'' was 5K+....i was drooling though...do you mind pm me your dealer?
Hehe, don't think that would help you, as I live in Norway...

It's a hard decision, first the price tag, second it might look too much (as commented by others on here)... but I regretted from my last car so I'm pulling the trigger this time. Plus, plenty of 20" options for Q5 and GLK, what's the big deal?

Keep in mind that I'm getting a winter set anyways, so the upgrade from 19" to 20" is 2k CDN. The tricky part was that the m-sport 19" only come with summer from the factory, so my dealer has to take the summer off and put winter tires on.

Try finding winter tires for 275/40/19 (the rear), I'm glad I was extremely persistent to convince the dealer to take that cost.

Good luck on your negotiations.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #26
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

M sport VS SE

I still think M-sport looks better than SE due to the large area of black plastic at the rear bumper. The front of the SE is nice, side - average unless running boards are fitted like the old model oe X5/6 ( but they are not available for the new model yet?), rear - awefull. should be re-design completely with small area of black plastic.

The X3 is not as nice looking as X5 and X6 for sure, so with a bit of body colour coding and reshape bumbers, it will still look similar.

Despite many negative response, still think the M-sport is good value as its only a few hundred pounds more than SE with similar kit fitted.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
Bomb617
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 535i M-Sport

Anyone know the M-Sport Pkg price in US?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i M Sport

Guys, I'm about 48 hours away from deciding on a 2011 X3 35i M Sport vs. a 2011 X5 35i M Sport.

Because of the high demand for X3's right now the dealer is anxious to move a few X5's on the lot.

If I get the X3 it will be have all packages and options (Technology, Premium, Excecutive, DCP, M Sport, Heads Up Display, etc). But the dealer has offered an X5 35i M Sport for virtually the same price (Technology, Premium, M Sport, Premium Sound). Only thing missing on the X5 is Executive Package and Heads Up Display (I don't think it comes with DCP).

I'm going to the dealer on Friday. I think they're willing to give me a great deal on the X5 because they have a lot on the lot but zero X3's (they sold their two demo's last week). They are hot right now and I think the manager wants to move some other product. I must admit I'm new to the BWM scene. Only registered for this site an hour ago, but I really need advice. Not even sure if this is the best thread but figured it's a start. The fully loaded X3 is $76,000 Cdn and the X5 is $86,000 Cdn but dealer said they'd basically take $10K off the X5. I know the X5 is heavier and harder on gas.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:46 PM   #29
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Tough call.
X5 have heated rear seats? I've been reading here that the X3's going to Canada don't get the rear warmers.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #30
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

X3 vs. X5

Neither model I'm considering has heated rear seats. The X3 does not have it available in Canada (you are correct) and the X5 only has heated seats if you get the Executive Package, which is the only package not on the X5 that is being offered to me. We don't have kids though, and to be honest I don't see that as an option I need. So not a factor.

This decision is driving me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #31
Kalopop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtea2 View Post
Neither model I'm considering has heated rear seats. The X3 does not have it available in Canada (you are correct) and the X5 only has heated seats if you get the Executive Package, which is the only package not on the X5 that is being offered to me. We don't have kids though, and to be honest I don't see that as an option I need. So not a factor.

This decision is driving me nuts.
x5 for sure....is a great deal for the value. Tell me where federicton is I want to come down and get one myself
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #32
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I wouldn't assume that a 5 is "better" than a 3. They're different; can be better in some ways, but it also depends on what you're valuing. I like the 3 series sedans better than the 5 for appearance, driving feel, size, sense of nimbleness, etc. Some of it may be crap and tests would show the 5 performing better, but the 3 feels better to me so I stick with it. I enjoy my X3 largely due to the degree that it reminds me of a 3 sedan -- it's not one, but it's close enough that I'm happy.

Don't know if any of that helps, but some thoughts that came to mind . . .
      02-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks to both of you. What really complicates things for me is that there are no 2011 X3's in Atlantic Canada available for a test drive, so I'm making this decision somewhat blind. This would be a much easier decision if I could take each for a test drive. The X5 is ready and waiting, the X3 would be available end of April if I order this week. Do you think test driving a previous gen X3 would help me, or further complicate things due to the improvements with the new X3? I've been told the 2011 X3's are vastly improed. Do you think I'd find the X5 sluggish vs. the X3? Same 300hp motor. I don't drive a lot, so fuel efficiency is not critical.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #34
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't drive an old X3. I really disliked them, and I love my F25. You might not love the F25, but the difference was to me enormous.

Are you a sporty driver? The X3, to me, feels lighter, more nimble, quicker to brake, easier to aim through narrow spaces, and the like. I think some of that is real, and some is perception, but that's my perception. I can't say whether the X5 35i would be sluggish (haven't driven that one, don't know exactly which engine or which transmission). I can say, "sluggish" never enters my mind with the X3. Heck, it's stats show it 0.1 seconds faster 0-60 than the 335i (not that that is the be all, end all test).

Do you need space? I didn't focus too much on the X5s, but they must have more storage space.

Something I prefer about the X3 is height. Entering the vehicle was for me far more comfortable height-wise for driver and passenger. Also, entering the rear seats was somehow easier for me on the X3 than the X5. Wasn't so much height there as something about the shape/configuration of the door opening. Could be very much personal preference there, or have seemed different on Thursday vice Tuesday . . .

Does the X5 have the nifty Dynamic Driving Control features? I find them useful and fun.

I'm out for now . . . .
      02-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #35
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtea2 View Post
The fully loaded X3 is $76,000 Cdn and the X5 is $86,000 Cdn but dealer said they'd basically take $10K off the X5. I know the X5 is heavier and harder on gas.

Help!
How in the world did you get it loaded up to $76k? On the bmw.ca configurator the most you can get it to is about $63k and that's with every package including heads up display. The M-sport package is only $2900 and you have to subtract the sport package at $1800 which means it's only another $1100 more.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #36
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
How in the world did you get it loaded up to $76k? On the bmw.ca configurator the most you can get it to is about $63k and that's with every package including heads up display. The M-sport package is only $2900 and you have to subtract the sport package at $1800 which means it's only another $1100 more.
$64,800 subtotal
$25 NB Inspection
$1,995 Freight and PDI
$100 A/C tax
$18 Tire tax
$399 Protection

$67,337 TOTAL SALES PRICE
$8,754 Harmonized Sales Tax
$154 License fee
GRAND TOTAL $76,245
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #37
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Harmonized Sales Tax?
      02-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #38
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Harmonized Sales Tax?
Yeah, I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #39
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmasman View Post
Marmite: Thanks for all your feedback. It makes my color choice that much more difficult! sigh....
Ho-hum - I bit the bullet and changed to M Sport / Space Grey! (despite what I said earlier about dirt etc.!)

All black with tinted black windows and black leather - the mental image all a bit too much for me in the end - even though prob. looks good - I feel I'd have to wear lots of gold jewellery too

I still have time to change my mind again
I have a slight inclining for Vermillion red sometimes too!! Lotus7's pics look really nice IMO. And the spy shots of Vermillion Red M Sport - don't look too shabby either IMO.
But red is a bit brave, too worried it will look not look good after 1st year or so.
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.

Last edited by marmite; 02-24-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #40
huxtea2
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
Ho-hum - I bit the bullet and changed to M Sport / Space Grey! (despite what I said earlier about dirt etc.!)

All black with tinted black windows and black leather - the mental image all a bit too much for me in the end - even though prob. looks good - I feel I'd have to wear lots of gold jewellery too

I still have time to change my mind again
I have a slight inclining for Vermillion red sometimes too!! Lotus7's pics look really nice IMO. And the spy shots of Vermillion Red M Sport - don't look too shabby either IMO.
But red is a bit brave, too worried it will look not look good after 1st year or so.
I've been thinkin the same thing. Black on black on black may be a bit pimpish. My gf is trying to get me to get the Space Grey, which does look nice. I've pretty much decided to get the X3 vs. the X5 that they were offering me. Not totally decided yet though.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #41
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC888 View Post
I still think M-sport looks better than SE due to the large area of black plastic at the rear bumper. The front of the SE is nice, side - average unless running boards are fitted like the old model oe X5/6 ( but they are not available for the new model yet?), rear - awefull. should be re-design completely with small area of black plastic.

The X3 is not as nice looking as X5 and X6 for sure, so with a bit of body colour coding and reshape bumbers, it will still look similar.

Despite many negative response, still think the M-sport is good value as its only a few hundred pounds more than SE with similar kit fitted.
I agree with you about the front and sides looking better with the M Sport and running boards, it looks way more aggressive & sporty. However I quite like the back of the SE especially in white. The black plastic bumper is a nice touch imo because it separates the back into two sections and make the car look smaller. The M Sport back with the black plastic removed makes the car seem bloated and even more so now that the F25 is larger than the E83 in every dimension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomb617 View Post
Anyone know the M-Sport Pkg price in US?
Price for M-Sport in US is $3000, there are some minor differences between the two when installing for the 28i or 35i.

Here's US pricing list:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X3 Pricing.PDF (2.34 MB, 114 views)
Appreciate 0