BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2020, 06:04 AM   #309
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by syuan92 View Post
The windshield wiper stalk. The auto rain detecting wipe used to be a button at the end of the stalk. With the current implementation, I'm unable to just push down once on the stalk to manually activate the wipers when they are in the Auto setting. Sometimes the auto wiper doesn't notice when it's drizzling out or if I get hit quickly with a burst of rain and I'm so used to manually pushing down for a quick one time activation but now when I do that, I have to re-engage the stalk back into Auto since it resets back to off when I push down for a manual activation. Obviously, the lack of remote start is another aggravation. I also noticed that a lot of the earlier complaints in this thread were actually fixed in the 2020 model. For example, we now have a previous/skip track button on each side of the HUD scroll wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syuan92 View Post
The windshield wiper stalk. The auto rain detecting wipe used to be a button at the end of the stalk. With the current implementation, I'm unable to just push down once on the stalk to manually activate the wipers when they are in the Auto setting. Sometimes the auto wiper doesn't notice when it's drizzling out or if I get hit quickly with a burst of rain and I'm so used to manually pushing down for a quick one time activation but now when I do that, I have to re-engage the stalk back into Auto since it resets back to off when I push down for a manual activation. Obviously, the lack of remote start is another aggravation. I also noticed that a lot of the earlier complaints in this thread were actually fixed in the 2020 model. For example, we now have a previous/skip track button on each side of the HUD scroll wheel.
I have a fix! Toggle the speed control!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:52 AM   #310
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
no one touch open/closing of the sunroof cover
Mine does this or do you mean one touch for the sunroof and cover at the same time?
      01-12-2020, 11:20 AM   #311
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangonauta99 View Post
After a couple of months of a 2020 x3 xdrive, it would be great to have (not a need):

1. ambient lighting with a dial to create (select) your own color like the Q5 (if I remember correctly)
2. have wider range of set up colors for the live cockpit pro
3. be able to display the map in the HUD on demand
4. one-touch turn signal option for 5 clicks without the need for coding
5. a lockable compartment in the trunk like MB
6. amber rear turn signals
7. smoother 's smoother and accelerating speed adjustments
8. working auto windshield wiper setting while in park. It's either faulty in my car or designed to work only while driving.
Can you even code in 5 clicks anymore? I was unable to code in anything more than 3 clicks on my M2 as apparently BMW took away the options for 4 or 5 clicks.
Nope. BC has the coding option and even has a new option available to choose in Idrive now shows 3 clicks and 5. But selecting the 5 clicks it just reverts right away back to 3.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 03:07 PM   #312
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
Mine does this or do you mean one touch for the sunroof and cover at the same time?
i meant just the cover.............if i want to open or close the cover (to let the light in) i have to push the rocker and hold it in place.

your not like that then?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #313
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i meant just the cover.............if i want to open or close the cover (to let the light in) i have to push the rocker and hold it in place.

your not like that then?
No it's not. One touch / push and it goes all the way back or forward.
Appreciate 1
kzg19691299.00
      01-12-2020, 03:18 PM   #314
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

your not like that then?
+1. One touch and the cover opens or closes as needed.

I do wish it opened/closed a tad faster than it does...

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 05:37 AM   #315
swizzletrain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2020

-Disappointing exhaust sound (UK, X3 M40i with stupid OPF)
-Can't change to "Sporty" sound all the time like you can in the US models (to help with the above issue)
-Doors are far too light and sound terrible
-Can't seem to get comfortable in the seats, feel slightly not aligned right
-When opening the tailgate if it's raining water runs into the boot
-Water collects on the bonnet (or maybe front grills) and then is flung up on to the windscreen. Sounds minor but it's annoying
-Inconsistent behaviour when turning off the car, sometimes music will keep on playing when I open the driver door sometimes not. No idea what affects this.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      01-13-2020, 05:58 AM   #316
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post

must be a special ID6 / X3M feature then! I have to hold that button.....and as you say, its SOOOOOO slow
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 06:42 AM   #317
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
must be a special ID6 / X3M feature then! I have to hold that button.....and as you say, its SOOOOOO slow
Both my F25s had one touch as well. Really surprised your X3M hasn't. At those speeds it's even more important to keep your hands on the wheel!
Appreciate 1
kzg19691299.00
      01-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #318
Bernie2x
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 (2018) 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzletrain View Post
-Disappointing exhaust sound (UK, X3 M40i with stupid OPF)
-Can't change to "Sporty" sound all the time like you can in the US models (to help with the above issue)
-Water collects on the bonnet (or maybe front grills) and then is flung up on to the windscreen. Sounds minor but it's annoying
-Inconsistent behaviour when turning off the car, sometimes music will keep on playing when I open the driver door sometimes not. No idea what affects this.
Make sure nothing is placed on the passenger seat (last issue)

In my opinion the car is heavy enough as it is, heavier doors will not aid any driving situation
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #319
Fridge Doctor
Fridge Doctor
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01.

Sun/moon roof cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post

Quote:
Both my F25s had one touch as well. Really surprised your X3M hasn't. At those speeds it's even more important to keep your hands on the wheel!
Quote:
Might be of some assistance.........or not
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
kzg19691299.00
Alias1431795.00
      01-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #320
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

^ - well what the actual fuck!!! it works

I'm away to read the rest of the manual
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #321
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2x View Post
Make sure nothing is placed on the passenger seat (last issue)
Behaviour is still inconsistent. I have a child seat in the passenger seat. I never move it out. Sometimes car switches off when I open the door, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not changing the weight of the seat, the car is inconsistent in its response and it is a bit of a crap feauture.

I'd prefer it to just switch off automatically like our Q7 does. On the very odd occasion someine stays in the car, they can switch the stereo back on. Plus, if I get out and leave someone in, I don't need all the cars functions on, just the stereo.
Appreciate 1
chrisk03153.00
      01-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #322
rubenoid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Lights not turning off and no lane departure feedback

I've called the BMW Genius at the dealer and corporate and they said the car shouldn't be doing this but the dealer updates software and no joy:

1) If you drive into your garage--lights will turn on or stay on--then you turn off car properly by pushing the stop button without depressing brake, and exit vehicle BUT DO NOT LOCK THE VEHICLE. Radio is probably still playing and lights are still on.

Come back 30 minutes later, car lights still on and radio still on. 8 hours later, same thing. I have tried setting courtesy path lighting to ZERO but it still does this.

IF it is daytime and sunny enough where lights don't turn on/stay on, this doesn't happen. Sometimes is you have a few people in car and the car is aware that EVERYONE left, it also correctly turns all lighting off.

I don't want to lock my car in my garage and yet I am forced to do so to prevent the lights from staying on forever.

------------------

Lane Departure Warning.

Light turns on but does not give any feedback on the steering wheel WHICH I BELIEVE is supposed to happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #323
alexdm
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 m40i

Just curious - any particular reason you wouldn’t want to lock your car in the garage? I’d always lock mine garage or not...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #324
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubenoid View Post
I've called the BMW Genius at the dealer and corporate and they said the car shouldn't be doing this but the dealer updates software and no joy:

1) If you drive into your garage--lights will turn on or stay on--then you turn off car properly by pushing the stop button without depressing brake, and exit vehicle BUT DO NOT LOCK THE VEHICLE. Radio is probably still playing and lights are still on.

Come back 30 minutes later, car lights still on and radio still on. 8 hours later, same thing. I have tried setting courtesy path lighting to ZERO but it still does this.

IF it is daytime and sunny enough where lights don't turn on/stay on, this doesn't happen. Sometimes is you have a few people in car and the car is aware that EVERYONE left, it also correctly turns all lighting off.

I don't want to lock my car in my garage and yet I am forced to do so to prevent the lights from staying on forever.

------------------

Lane Departure Warning.

Light turns on but does not give any feedback on the steering wheel WHICH I BELIEVE is supposed to happen.
What you discredited should not be happening. Dealer should fit, at least the first part. In the meantime, as a workaround. you can press and hold radio button for a few seconds - that will shut off the vehicle.
As for the feedback - I suppose you know it should give it to you only when crossing lanes without turn signal. You can also adjust the strength of the vibration in iDrive (at least in ID6). Some members where complaining, that the vibration is so weak, that it's almost non-existent. I'm ok with mine.
      01-15-2020, 01:24 PM   #325
nabeelio
Rep
Drives: 14F30, 18G30, 20G01

The HUD is too bright at night, I wish there was a night-mode, like the ambient light strips. I've put it at half-size, missing out of the full graphical goodness.

TPS is annoying too. Inner-door says inflate to 32/38. iDrive says 42/48, which I feel like was too harsh when I drove it at delivery. It keeps telling me to inflate the tires. I have setup the parameters correctly.

Last edited by nabeelio; 01-15-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #326
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabeelio View Post
The HUD is too bright at night, I wish there was a night-mode, like the ambient light strips. I've put it at half-size, missing out of the full graphical goodness.
Try using the wheel next to the fog lights to control the HUD brightness during the night.
      01-15-2020, 01:58 PM   #327
nabeelio
Rep
Drives: 14F30, 18G30, 20G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Try using the wheel next to the fog lights to control the HUD brightness during the night.
Ah, I will try this, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #328
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

• Doors sound and feel hella cheap when shutting. That solid "thud" is gone.
  • No seat belt adjustment on the B pillar.
  • Seat belt choking when first starting car...WTF. Was able to turn off on Benz.
  • Stupid radio on/off functionality when stopping car/exiting. Almost every car on the planet, shuts off when you open the door. No idea how this works and have read manual and thread about it.
  • BMW OEM trunk tray is absolutely awful.
  • No Android Auto.
  • Never have liked the auto shifter in more recent BMW's.

Overall, like the X3, but probably don't "love it". Good thing it's hers.
      01-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #329
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzletrain View Post
Agree with all of it plus creaking noise from bonnet when driving on slop in angle not straight, very odd.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #330
Chris Paul
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e93 335i MBM, Saddle Brown

Garage List
I really don't like the latching mechanism in the rear hatch. Maybe ours is out of adjustment, but it's way too loud and sounds cheap whether from inside or outside the vehicle.
Appreciate 0