BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Throttle lag from stop

I've had my 2018 M40I for over a year and a half. The car is going in for new rear axles soon (steering vibration). The axles are on order and hopefully it solves the problem. I've noticed this car has an annoying throttle lag starting from a stop; more than my 2012 X3 3.5. Once the car starts moving, it really hauls, but right after a light turns green, under normal acceleration it takes a second to get moving. This is in the comfort setting. Is this inherent in this car due to the turbos or can this situation be improved with a software update. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Probably programmed that way on purpose to not snap all the necks of the passengers in the car. Mines the same way. Even the X3M seems to suffer from the same problem.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I'm told a tune will get rid of it, but the engine is already tuned to provide the maximum amount of torque that the zf 8hp50 transmission is rated for. Adding a tune exceeds the manufacturer torque rating, and I'm nervous about longevity, as I plan to have this vehicle for over a decade.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I've had my 2018 M40I for over a year and a half. The car is going in for new rear axles soon (steering vibration). The axles are on order and hopefully it solves the problem. I've noticed this car has an annoying throttle lag starting from a stop; more than my 2012 X3 3.5. Once the car starts moving, it really hauls, but right after a light turns green, under normal acceleration it takes a second to get moving. This is in the comfort setting. Is this inherent in this car due to the turbos or can this situation be improved with a software update. Thanks
It’s the way comfort setting is. I presume it’s different in sport and even less so with the shifter pushed over to S too?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
prototyp
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X3 M40i

Garage List
Sport mode's throttle is /much/ snappier, more responsive, more eager. Speaking from experience, be careful if you switch into Sport between red lights particularly if you've been trundling around town in Comfort for a while... the throttle response sharpens up so much I nearly rear-ended the car ahead of me when the light turned green.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp View Post
Sport mode's throttle is /much/ snappier, more responsive, more eager. Speaking from experience, be careful if you switch into Sport between red lights particularly if you've been trundling around town in Comfort for a while... the throttle response sharpens up so much I nearly rear-ended the car ahead of me when the light turned green.
This is my first automatic transmission car but I still feel a bit more lag than expected in sport mode at start. Not sure if it's just me being new to auto or if it truly does lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:45 PM   #7
ThreePedAlways
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
I'm told a tune will get rid of it, but the engine is already tuned to provide the maximum amount of torque that the zf 8hp50 transmission is rated for. Adding a tune exceeds the manufacturer torque rating, and I'm nervous about longevity, as I plan to have this vehicle for over a decade.
If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, I would forego the tune. Although BMW's stock engine map likely takes emissions performance in mind, it also takes repeated loads/worst case conditions into account. As sold, it's likely been tested to various worst case conditions and specifications. Once turned, unless backed by the OEM, there's much more risk long term, I think.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      08-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #8
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Does the steering bit ration occur at certain times or all the time? More info please!
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

This is also my biggest frustration with the vehicle. I also have a 2019 X5 40i which doesnt suffer this at all. So its super frustrating to get into this vehicle and have such a lag. For me, in sport it isn't any better, just way more push when it does finally go. Sport Plus is horrible for me all around. The throttle feels way more soft, feels a lot slower, but keeps the gears open longer. So its makes a lot of noise but doesn't go anywhere. lol
Its even worse if you come to a rolling stop say to do a u-turn. When you want to move, its like it has to think for a while and then it goes. Its a small nag for a great vehicle, but it is super frustrating for something billed as a go-fast SAV. Stinks that my X5 feels much quicker because it actually does what you tell it to do with the throttle.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #10
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
This is also my biggest frustration with the vehicle. I also have a 2019 X5 40i which doesnt suffer this at all. So its super frustrating to get into this vehicle and have such a lag. For me, in sport it isn't any better, just way more push when it does finally go. Sport Plus is horrible for me all around. The throttle feels way more soft, feels a lot slower, but keeps the gears open longer. So its makes a lot of noise but doesn't go anywhere. lol
Its even worse if you come to a rolling stop say to do a u-turn. When you want to move, its like it has to think for a while and then it goes. Its a small nag for a great vehicle, but it is super frustrating for something billed as a go-fast SAV. Stinks that my X5 feels much quicker because it actually does what you tell it to do with the throttle.
Sounds like another case of the dreaded throttle tip-in delay that plagued many BMWs. The problem with this is that it happens to certain cars and those who have it feel extremely frustrated with it because it seems to have a mind of it's own and not follow the gas pedal response. And in certain situations, it can be dangerous when the acceleration fails to deliver when it's expected (worse when you god damn know that the car is no slouch).
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #11
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Does the steering bit ration occur at certain times or all the time? More info please!
Vibration starts a 52mph and ends at 56mph when accelerating. Thanks all for the feedback. I'll try sport next time out and see if there is an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #12
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePedAlways View Post
If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, I would forego the tune. Although BMW's stock engine map likely takes emissions performance in mind, it also takes repeated loads/worst case conditions into account. As sold, it's likely been tested to various worst case conditions and specifications. Once turned, unless backed by the OEM, there's much more risk long term, I think.
I just wish there was a tune the fixed the torque curve/turbo lag that didn't raise the top end torque output...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #13
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Sounds like another case of the dreaded throttle tip-in delay that plagued many BMWs. The problem with this is that it happens to certain cars and those who have it feel extremely frustrated with it because it seems to have a mind of it's own and not follow the gas pedal response. And in certain situations, it can be dangerous when the acceleration fails to deliver when it's expected (worse when you god damn know that the car is no slouch).
That is a great way to look at it. It does have a mind of its own... I just cant rely on it not lurching sometimes or not doing anything at all other times. It does ruin the joy of driving it for me which stinks. I am not going to give up on it yet though. Shame on me for not noticing it during test drives. Just like the freaking ventilated seats which have no adjustable bolsters... learned a good lesson and will pay much closer attention next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #14
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep

It's not just BMW that suffers from this. We have an Audi S5 Sportback, which is kind of the M Performance level for Audi and I believe has a version of the exact same transmission and we occasionally experience the same thing. I try to make sure at a rolling stop to manually drop a gear before taking off. That's hard to remember all the time, but it can help, as many times in this case the reason for the lag is that the gearbox hasn't dropped all the way down since the car didn't come to a complete stop. Sport mode helps tremendously in this situation, as the coding is set to downshift earlier and more aggressively.
      08-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
My 2015 Z4 s28i has the same issue. Going to sport helps, but still too much lag for me.

Our 2011 Acura MDX has the same issue. Press the gas and hope for power. It has a terrible lag and it is not turbo. My 2016 Acura TLX also has lag (non turbo). Once the tranny finds its spot and the engine gets going, there is plenty of power. But in that 1-2 seconds, you may be out of luck. That leads me to think the tranny programming is at fault.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #16
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
If you wouldn't mind, please give us an update about the rear axle results once they're installed. The main thread is here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485010

I will need to return to the dealer to get my vibration checked out. Last time I went in, they said a road force balance for my new wheels/tires, which is obviously not the issue when you get vibration from throttle application only.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #17
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
That is a great way to look at it. It does have a mind of its own... I just cant rely on it not lurching sometimes or not doing anything at all other times. It does ruin the joy of driving it for me which stinks. I am not going to give up on it yet though. Shame on me for not noticing it during test drives. Just like the freaking ventilated seats which have no adjustable bolsters... learned a good lesson and will pay much closer attention next time.
Try driving around a little more aggressively and see if it helps. Floor the gas pedal aggressively to get it to downshift and let go of the gas once it has downshifted. Repeat a few times and see if the response is improved.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
It's not just BMW that suffers from this. We have an Audi S5 Sportback, which is kind of the M Performance level for Audi and I believe has a version of the exact same transmission and we occasionally experience the same thing. I try to make sure at a rolling stop to manually drop a gear before taking off. That's hard to remember all the time, but it can help, as many times in this case the reason for the lag is that the gearbox hasn't dropped all the way down since the car didn't come to a complete stop. Sport mode helps tremendously in this situation, as the coding is set to downshift earlier and more aggressively.
Had the S5 Sportback a year or so ago and I didnt have this problem, but I did with it randomly braking. I think it was the forward collision alert, but man would it freak me out. A car would move over WAY down the road and it would freak out and brake on the highway. I got rid of it after they kept telling me that it was by design. No way it was right. Talk about waking you up!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:06 AM   #19
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggie View Post
Try driving around a little more aggressively and see if it helps. Floor the gas pedal aggressively to get it to downshift and let go of the gas once it has downshifted. Repeat a few times and see if the response is improved.
I have tried that so many times now I think I look like a fool (more than normal). It acts the same, just a long pause and then takes off. Oh well, I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions! I have even tried in manual mode with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
One of my SQ5's used to try to kill me. At times if I was turning left from a stop and needed to move quickly as a car was coming. it would just sit there when I punched it. It seemed like it wouldn't move for 2 seconds and then it would just take off. I never had an issue turning right.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #21
ThreePedAlways
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreePedAlways View Post
I just wish there was a tune the fixed the torque curve/turbo lag that didn't raise the top end torque output...

I haven't driven my M40i enough to notice yet. Could be the engine and/or transmission tune. Sadly, I'm coming from a manual...which means now I will notice tip in delays However, on my test drives, I didn't think the M40i was nearly as bad as the S5 Sportback which others are complaining about. That car was not worth it over the standard A5/A4 just based on it's around town cal in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #22
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWModel3 View Post
Probably programmed that way on purpose to not snap all the necks of the passengers in the car. Mines the same way. Even the X3M seems to suffer from the same problem.
It does. I drove it this weekend and there was more lag than my M40 from a stop.
Appreciate 0