BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-15-2017, 03:28 AM   #375
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post

$50 for updating maps once a year is very reasonably and the recommended provider Gerry has proven repeatedly to be reliable and trustworthy. In my opinion, I strongly caution against saving a relatively inconsequential amount of money and taking a huge risk to both your personal computer and your car by downloading gigabytes of data from, at least to me, an unknown source that responds to messages in this forum with a private message.
Well..........

Further to this, I am reliable informed that in the UK you can pay £65 to BMW for the latest map and FSC codes that last for 2 years. This is for NBT that are downloadable from BMW. So this is cheaper than $50 per year. A no brainer as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Holy paranoia Batman... Last year, a member on here was kind enough to send me a link to a hosting site for the 2016 maps and I got them free, because I didn't need the FSC codes, which is where all the work is.
Agreed. There is a very large forum for an automotive site that is frequented by professionals who supply the maps free to anyone who logs in as a member.

Quote:
Anyone is free to get their maps based on their own comfort level and what they want to spend, but your PSA is over the top.
Please enlighten me as to what this abbreviation means. Do you mean Public Service Announcement?

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-15-2017 at 04:33 AM.. Reason: Typing error
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #376
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Please enlighten me as to what this abbreviation means. Do you mean Public Service Announcement?
Yes, that's what it was, which as you point out, is BS. I bet the guy is some grumpy old dude who doesn't understand how things work on the internet and he's warning everyone, as his public duty, as if your car's going to crash because you download a map file to it. Ooh, watch out!

And maps are already out there for free in torrents I understand, which is always what happens a month later after they're released.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #377
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And maps are already out there for free in torrents I understand, which is always what happens a month later after they're released.
Similar to this one from BMW UK?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #378
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Similar to this one from BMW UK?
Lifetime codes for the win!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #379
bmwspeedy
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 3.0 & 2020 X5 4.0

Garage List
2022 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Holy paranoia Batman... Last year, a member on here was kind enough to send me a link to a hosting site for the 2016 maps and I got them free, because I didn't need the FSC codes, which is where all the work is.

Only a douchebag would give another member a corrupted map file and I've never heard of that happening either FWIW, and people share maps all the time.

I'd be surprised if by now the maps aren't on torrent sites even. I'm seeing them on Ebay for much less, which is a sign that they're widely available.

Anyone is free to get their maps based on their own comfort level and what they want to spend, but your PSA is over the top.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #380
INFOTEC
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Quote:
in the UK you can pay £65 to BMW for the latest map and FSC codes that last for 2 years.
Here in the states (Henderson, NV specifically) I was quoted $250 from the dealer for a map update, about $100 of that is labor plus I'd have to schedule a time to take it in. Gerry/Shawn got me taken care of in an hour by my clock (only about 10 actual minutes of my time) and I was able to let the map update while I was at work with the vehicle right outside my window.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 04:29 AM   #381
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFOTEC View Post
Here in the states (Henderson, NV specifically) I was quoted $250 from the dealer for a map update, about $100 of that is labor plus I'd have to schedule a time to take it in. Gerry/Shawn got me taken care of in an hour by my clock (only about 10 actual minutes of my time) and I was able to let the map update while I was at work with the vehicle right outside my window.
Aren't you able to do it via the Connected Drive in your car in the US?

In the UK we setup a Connected Drive account and specify a Credit Card for payment of various services after the 3 year warranty period has expired.

Once in the account we purchase certain services such as maps. For the latest map, we would then pay the £65 and be given a code and the appropriate link to down load it to a computer. We would then copy it to a USB stick . Once in the car, we put the USB into the slot and the iDrive recognises it and asks for the FSC code. After this no time is lost as it is updated whilst driving. If you stop and switch off the ignition, it starts from where it left off. Note. I have not used this procedure for map updates (I use my own system), but was advised that this is the way by BMW UK. The code and the map updates are valid for 2 years.

I have followed the above basic procedure for payment for Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) and several other small items.

When in the car in iDrive services, I can view what I have paid for and the expiry date.

Note. The above map procedure does NOT apply to the latest EVO map system on later cars.

Quote:
Gerry/Shawn got me taken care of in an hour by my clock (only about 10 actual minutes of my time) and I was able to let the map update while I was at work with the vehicle right outside my window.
Yes. We can all see it is all done clandestinely by PM. However, nobody ever posts openly on this forum how much it costs for the FSC code on its own and the map on its own. I wonder why?

Who is Gerry?

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-17-2017 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #382
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
There are numerous Map Udpate options out there including DIY, 3rd party resellers, and OEM via BMW Website, Connected Drive Portal, or Dealership. They all work, and people should use which ever option works best for them based on availability, price and their level of comfort with the process.

Quote:
Once in the account we purchase certain services such as maps. For the latest map, we would then pay the £65 and be given a code and the appropriate link to down load it to a computer.
ConnectDrive Map Updates are a failry reccent option BMW Started offering in the U.K., and perhaps elsewhere, and it is a damn good deal that's hard to beat. Price is a huge reduction over what they used to charge, and what dealer currenly charges and provides the ease of self updating without having to visit dealer.

Unoftunately, the ConnectedDrive option is not available for all based on car and country.

Quote:
This is the typical U.S. Dealership Option experience, and it is terrible in terms of price and ease.

As an alternative, BMW does offer the following options for PREMIUM or NEXT Map Updates via their Website:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...-SYSTEM-UPDATE

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/47...-SYSTEM-UPDATE

Map is $40 USD by itself, per map release, and a 1-Time FSC Code is $101 USD or a 2-Year FSC Code is $137 USD

​​So, a A Single Map update is $141 ​Net ​[​$40 ​Map ​+ $101​ for Single FSC Code]​.

​And ​2 Years worth Map Updates, which is typically 4 Map Updates, is $297 ​Net ​[($40 ​each ​x 4​ Maps​) + $137​ for 2-Year FSC Code​)​]​.​

Like ConnectedDrive Option, this is much better pricing than dealership; however, is still too high.

Quote:
Who is Gerry?
Gerry is a 3rd party option and the "excellent source" referenced in original Post #1 when I started the thread a little over 2 years ago after he updated me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
...If you want to update, and need both FSC Code and Map, I have an excellent source. PM me for details.
There are numerous other 3rd party resellers out there offering the same or similar although I can't vouch for them as I have no experience with them, although I have heard enough story's to know not all experiences have been great.

Quote:
Yes. We can all see it is all done clandestinely by PM. However, nobody ever posts openly on this forum how much it costs for the FSC code on its own and the map on its own. I wonder why?
Nothing is clandestine. Cost is not mentioned simply because 1) his cost varies based on specific map and other factors, and 2) forum rules prohibit commercial discussions in Threads.

So, as I wrote, there are a several options out there to make map udpate, and not all options are available to all. One option is not universally better than all others. Based on what is available, one should choose whichever one works best for them.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #383
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As an alternative, BMW does offer the following options for PREMIUM or NEXT Map Updates via their Website:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/5...-SYSTEM-UPDATE

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/47...-SYSTEM-UPDATE

Map is $40 USD by itself, per map release, and a 1-Time FSC Code is $101 USD or a 2-Year FSC Code is $137 USD

​​So, a A Single Map update is $141 ​Net ​[​$40 ​Map ​+ $101​ for Single FSC Code]​.

​And ​2 Years worth Map Updates, which is typically 4 Map Updates, is $297 ​Net ​[($40 ​each ​x 4​ Maps​) + $137​ for 2-Year FSC Code​)​]​.​

Like ConnectedDrive Option, this is much better pricing than dealership; however, is still too high.
Agreed. It was/is thought by many UK BMW owners that they were ripping off clients. One of the many reasons they are referred to as stealers. The ebay type sites were springing up because they (BMW) were too costly. They are now losing all the business to them. That is the reason for the dramatic price drop in the UK.

Quote:
Gerry is a 3rd party option and the "excellent source" referenced in original Post #1 when I started the thread a little over 2 years ago after he updated me:
No matter, he is still using and distributing maps that have been stolen and distributed. Even if he is a long way down the food chain as it were.

Quote:
There are numerous other 3rd party resellers out there offering the same or similar although I can't vouch for them as I have no experience with them, although I have heard enough story's to know not all experiences have been great.
Exactly the same applies. Same maps stolen and distributed outside the BMW system.

Quote:
Nothing is clandestine. Cost is not mentioned simply because 1) his cost varies based on specific map and other factors, and 2) forum rules prohibit commercial discussions in Threads.
Forum rules prohibit.....yes and are you not part of that loop? You are part of that process even when you are acting as an interface.

Quote:
So, as I wrote, there are a several options out there to make map udpate, and not all options are available to all. One option is not universally better than all others. Based on what is available, one should choose whichever one works best for them.
Yes.

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-17-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #384
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'm surprised BMW can update OTA maps, considering they're like over 20 GB's. How the heck do they do that, first of all?

My friend's M2 here in Canada has supposedly got that feature, and he's turned on auto updates, but he's still on 2016 maps. Not even 2017. His says he's got NA EVO 2016 – 4 maps loaded.

Gerry wants the same for just a map as he does for a code. I know. I agree with you Peter that if you just need maps, they certainly shouldn't be charged for anywhere near what an FSC code costs, because there's zero effort involved in distributing them, vs. in generating an FSC code.

And as you say, the source of them isn't known, as he's not a BMW source himself, and has most likely gotten them thru a connection. Those who are resourceful, quickly figure out how to get the maps for free (or at least almost free), shortly after their release.

Shawn's been a great help to people though, including myself, so let's be good to him.

Last edited by Lotus99; 11-17-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #385
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm surprised BMW can update OTA maps, considering they're like over 20 GB's. How the heck do they do that, first of all?
This is only for NBT2 EVO map and it is not full 20 Gb base map udpate. The OTA Updates (when they actually work) are delivered via new 4G SIM Cards and are only small Regional Updates to patch the already installed full base map.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      11-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #386
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is only for NBT2 EVO map and it is not full 20 Gb base map udpate. The OTA Updates (when they actually work) are delivered via new 4G SIM Cards and are only small Regional Updates to patch the already installed full base map.
That makes more sense... I didn't think though that any cars come with SIM cards, if you don't have a personal phone plan attached to one? So for the life of the car, BMW will download data to your car via that SIM card for free?

And those people with these NBT2 EVO maps, are there still "full base map" updates available for them as well? And how do they do those? Just like our NEXT maps, with an FSC code and a 20 GB flash drive?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #387
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That makes more sense... I didn't think though that any cars come with SIM cards, if you don't have a personal phone plan attached to one? So for the life of the car, BMW will download data to your car via that SIM card for free?

And those people with these NBT2 EVO maps, are there still "full base map" updates available for them as well? And how do they do those? Just like our NEXT maps, with an FSC code and a 20 GB flash drive?
Most all BMW Cars come with Telematics to support BMW Assist, Intelligent emergency call, Real-Time Traffic Information, Remote Services. Connected Drive, etc., and these operate on car SIM card, which in case of NBT2 it is a 4G.

Base map udpate is made same way as older NBT NEXT Map is. OTA Updates a normally included for first 3 years, not for the life of the car.

Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      11-22-2017, 03:58 AM   #388
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Quote:
Aren't you able to do it via the Connected Drive in your car in the US?

In the UK we setup a Connected Drive account and specify a Credit Card for payment of various services after the 3 year warranty period has expired.

Once in the account we purchase certain services such as maps. For the latest map, we would then pay the £65 and be given a code and the appropriate link to down load it to a computer. We would then copy it to a USB stick . Once in the car, we put the USB into the slot and the iDrive recognises it and asks for the FSC code. After this no time is lost as it is updated whilst driving. If you stop and switch off the ignition, it starts from where it left off. Note. I have not used this procedure for map updates (I use my own system), but was advised that this is the way by BMW UK. The code and the map updates are valid for 2 years.
I’ve just got around to doing this. Need to download the update file tonight but looks like its 2017. Does the activation code I got sent work just for this map or is valid for the next 2 years? Also any way to get notified when a new update gets released?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #389
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1Fanatic View Post
I’ve just got around to doing this. Need to download the update file tonight but looks like its 2017. Does the activation code I got sent work just for this map or is valid for the next 2 years? Also any way to get notified when a new update gets released?
Where did you get the last code from? BMW or 3rd party?

Do you have 2017-1 or 2017-2. If you got from BMW then ring them on BMW ConnectedDrive Support team at 0800 561 0555 (calls are free of charge plus your phone company's access charge).

You can go here....

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk..._FullMapUpdate

By the way, it is more cost effective in the UK to go to BMW and get map updates for £69.95 for 2 years.

Now to the small print as they say.....I rang BMW 10 minutes ago (I have a connected drive account) and they have not and will not release Europe NEXT NBT 2018-1 until 2018.

So if you have a 3rd party FSC Code from a 3rd party that is a lifetime code and will work with all maps then you can install the clandestine 3rd party supply of 2018-1 that can be found on various sites.

I have installed the latest NBT Next Europe 2018-1 map installed see previous. I have it on a 64gb USB.

If you want it, you can have it for free (nothing). All you have to do is send a 64gb USB to me and return postage. If you want to know more send me PM with your mobile number and I do not mind helping out. It is all very very simple, it cost me nothing and so will not cost you!

Last edited by Peter_R; 11-22-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00
      11-23-2017, 03:56 AM   #390
P1Fanatic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 30d M-Sport Alpine White

Its 2017-2 as I downloaded it last night. Then ran into the issue that the BMW app required my 64gb USB stick to be FAT32 formatted which windows wont do for devices over 32gb. Could not find my 32gb stick but have just found some free 3rd party app that should do the job. Will try it tonight.

Thanks for the offer of the 2018 map file but only have the official code BMW sent and would rather not risk it just to get the map sooner. I will wait until BMW release it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 04:22 AM   #391
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Its 2017-2 as I downloaded it last night. Then ran into the issue that the BMW app required my 64gb USB stick to be FAT32 formatted which windows wont do for devices over 32gb. Could not find my 32gb stick but have just found some free 3rd party app that should do the job. Will try it tonight.

Thanks for the offer of the 2018 map file but only have the official code BMW sent and would rather not risk it just to get the map sooner. I will wait until BMW release it.
No problem. Just be aware that you need the 64gb USB stick for later maps. I did for 2017-2 and this later 2018-1.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #392
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

Check your information, I used Windows (8) to format a 64GB USB drive to complete my 2018 North America map upgrade.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:30 PM   #393
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarivers View Post
Check your information, I used Windows (8) to format a 64GB USB drive to complete my 2018 North America map upgrade.
Not sure what you are trying to say here. If you can format the 64gb USB drive to NTFS or exFAT and copy the map onto it for the BMW update to work in your iDrive in your car and then all well and good.

The issue is with Windows 10 that will not format the drive to FAT32. The following link explains more..

https://www.partition-tool.com/resou...indows-10.html
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:05 AM   #394
beboswell
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sport Deep Sea Blue

NEXT 2018-1 please

Quote:
PM sent.
Would you be so kind to send me the link to the NEXT 2018-1 data file?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #395
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beboswell View Post
Would you be so kind to send me the link to the NEXT 2018-1 data file?

Thank you
PM sent.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 01:29 PM   #396
atarivers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 xDrive35i M Sport

What I said was you have to use an earlier version of Windows because of the Win 10 limitation. Win 7 still rules the roost in corporate environments, so it's not hard to find.

Quote:
Not sure what you are trying to say here. If you can format the 64gb USB drive to NTFS or exFAT and copy the map onto it for the BMW update to work in your iDrive in your car and then all well and good.

The issue is with Windows 10 that will not format the drive to FAT32. The following link explains more..

https://www.partition-tool.com/resou...indows-10.html
Appreciate 0