BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
49er
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5m

X3M comp vs GLC 63

Has anyone cross shopped X3M comp vs Glc63. Performance seems about same.
I am considering both. Any input appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

I'm assuming price is not an issue? Thats what turned me away when I was shopping for the GLC 63.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49er View Post
Has anyone cross shopped X3M comp vs Glc63. Performance seems about same.
I am considering both. Any input appreciated
GLC's motor is epic. The AMG V8 is bulletproof, exceptionally strong and, unlike the BMW 6, provides linear power from low RPMs. (In the US, the S version with 503 hp (instead of 469) is available only on the GLC63 Coupe. But the non-S GLC is very, very strong already.) GLC also is way ahead on sound if (1) you like loud, crackly and wonderfully juvenile and (2) you get it with the optional exhaust. X3M was ahead on infotainment, although the GLC now offers the MBUX with digital dash. The X3M interior is more modern. The X3M seats look great. The GLC's standard seats are just OK, and the optional sport seats are considerably less comfortable (and may lack ventilation). Appearance preference is individual. The handling limits of both are way higher than anyone should approach on a public road, so I don't see that as a reasonable distinguishing factor. GLC's ride is firm but fine for daily use. X3M's ride seems marginally more firm.

With all that, I ordered the Jaguar F-Pace SVR.
Appreciate 8
Transfer5248.00
doberzus678.50
JTO245271.50
Crassus229.00
kozzi927.00
arube138.50
      08-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

GLC63 can probably be had on used market now for a hefty savings at the expense of warranty time.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodz View Post
I'm assuming price is not an issue? Thats what turned me away when I was shopping for the GLC 63.
It does not seem like the price difference is too significant. A similarly equipped GLC63 is about $82,000, about $5k more than the X3M and virtually same as the X3MC. The GLC63S Coupe is right at $90k, but that's with a few more bells and whistles than the X4MC.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Before I settled on a used X5M, I was considering the same options and put a deposit down on the SVR. I wanted to like the GLC the best due to perceived highest quality interior (excluding seat comfort as I have not ridden in them). For me it came down to appearance and the GLC just doesn’t do it for me. If I didn’t get the X5 I would be driving an SVR now or soon.

MRichmond - are you going to do a special SVO paint? I see all of the SVO paints have a satin option which is intriguing, albeit pricey.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
MRichmond - are you going to do a special SVO paint? I see all of the SVO paints have a satin option which is intriguing, albeit pricey.
Some of those SVO paints are enticing, especially in the satin/matte finish. The black matte with the black 22" wheels looks so mean. But I could not justify the extra cost (between $7,000 and $12,000), especially since I really like the Yulong white (a smoky white that looks fantastic on this car).

And, like you, I was set on the GLC for quite a while and reached the same conclusion about its appearance. I then gravitated to the GLC63 Coupe before considering the X3M/X4M, but then settled on the Jag.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #8
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
It does not seem like the price difference is too significant. A similarly equipped GLC63 is about $82,000, about $5k more than the X3M and virtually same as the X3MC. The GLC63S Coupe is right at $90k, but that's with a few more bells and whistles than the X4MC.

Ok I might need to reconfigure the GLC63 then, I made it similar to the X3MC as much as possible and got it around $87k
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #9
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

My biggest issue with the Glc 63 suv is the cargo space is much smaller than the X3M. If you have to put dog crates in the back it's damn near impossible.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4708.50
ando2000.50
      08-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

if you plan to lease the GLC, get ready to bend over. Mercedes has terrible lease deals compare to BMW.
      08-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
if you plan to lease the GLC, get ready to bend over. Mercedes has terrible lease deals compare to BMW.
This is correct...Benz money factor translates to roughly 6% interest and BMW charges 3.48%
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

I have a GLC63. I love it... V8 roars and it is just brutal. Mercedes doesn't want you to lease these vehicles they want you to purchase. I've had my ass handed to me too many times on all the M cars. I hardly ever see AMG cars on the road which makes them hold their value far beyond any BMW M's. Don't get me wrong the lease deals on BMW are unbeatable which is why that is all I would do with them. I'd never actually purchase one.

My main concern will be once they have a huge influx of the X3M, just like the F80 these things will come crashing down. Especially with the economy on its way virtually no car is safe. Not even my 488 Pista which is up for sale as we speak.

Anyway.. I drove the X3MC. It was zippy, harsh suspension, handling was heavy. Just can't get into the 6 cylinder, it just doesn't make me smile as much as the AMG. Interior tech is better than the GLC but the quality of materials lacks in the M. As far as looks my AMG gets tons of compliments... Most people don't even know what it is. I feel the BMW M are run in the mill as I see maybe 10-15 everyday here in San Diego. All types M3, M4, M5, M6 etc daily and even more when I'm in LA. Most people can walk into BMW and they will give them the car whereas MB will turn you down or make you pay for it.

Oh only reason I'm on here is because I bought my wife a X3m40i lol. Just my opinion on the cars. She loves her car but when she gets in the GLC she whines why she didn't get this model.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
JTO245271.50
SM2731.50
      08-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #13
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Yours is definitely the best looking GLC63 I have seen. My X5M is blacked out similarly to your ride, though I definitely haven't modded mine to the extent you have.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 11:26 PM   #14
ReRe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
I have a GLC63. I love it... V8 roars and it is just brutal. Mercedes doesn't want you to lease these vehicles they want you to purchase. I've had my ass handed to me too many times on all the M cars. I hardly ever see AMG cars on the road which makes them hold their value far beyond any BMW M's. Don't get me wrong the lease deals on BMW are unbeatable which is why that is all I would do with them. I'd never actually purchase one.

My main concern will be once they have a huge influx of the X3M, just like the F80 these things will come crashing down. Especially with the economy on its way virtually no car is safe. Not even my 488 Pista which is up for sale as we speak.

Anyway.. I drove the X3MC. It was zippy, harsh suspension, handling was heavy. Just can't get into the 6 cylinder, it just doesn't make me smile as much as the AMG. Interior tech is better than the GLC but the quality of materials lacks in the M. As far as looks my AMG gets tons of compliments... Most people don't even know what it is. I feel the BMW M are run in the mill as I see maybe 10-15 everyday here in San Diego. All types M3, M4, M5, M6 etc daily and even more when I'm in LA. Most people can walk into BMW and they will give them the car whereas MB will turn you down or make you pay for it.

Oh only reason I'm on here is because I bought my wife a X3m40i lol. Just my opinion on the cars. She loves her car but when she gets in the GLC she whines why she didn't get this model.
I see what you're saying here, but you lost me when you complimented Mercedes for "turning down" potential customers... how is that a selling point, this isn't some exclusive club lol
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #15
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:

what are you taking about? used values have always been good on M3, I was just offered $44K trade in by a dealership on my 2016 (4 years old now), MSRP was $76K, I paid $72K for it. So thats 39% loss from what I paid or 42% loss from MSRP on a 4 year old car! Not many cars have resale percentages that high... If I sold it on my own I could get in the high $40s.
Appreciate 1
M3OW!373.00
      08-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #16
Mfan007
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CS.....X3MC

Can’t wait until they do head to head tests between the Glc 63 and the X3M, should be interesting.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #17
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Quote:

what are you taking about? used values have always been good on M3, I was just offered $44K trade in by a dealership on my 2016 (4 years old now), MSRP was $76K, I paid $72K for it. So thats 39% loss from what I paid or 42% loss from MSRP on a 4 year old car! Not many cars have resale percentages that high... If I sold it on my own I could get in the high $40s.
GLWS
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

We get the glc63s in a traditional suv body here in Canada, the motor on the S is crazy and the handling is good. The Merc infotainment is old, refresh for the MY2020 is landing in Q4 of this year with a few other cosmetic changes outside and inside.

The merc also allows you to order a factory tow hitch which bmw does not offer. The merc also comes in more expensive, about 7 to 10k more here.

Tough decision...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 06:13 AM   #19
jzmundy
Major
Rep
Drives: F97

On a couple waiting lists for 2020 GLC63 allocations. The increased level of standard equipment (MBUX and performance exhaust mainly) sealed the deal for me. My spec for the non-S SUV comes out to about $82k, comparable to a similarly equipped X3MC.

I've owned solely BMWs for the past 14 years. It's time for a change. F15 X5 will stick around for my wife.
      08-23-2019, 09:03 AM   #20
westburn40
Rep
Drives: X4M competition

I compared the X4MC to the GLC63 Coupe.
Very similar except, the GLC does not offer a spare,only Tyre Gunk
This was important to me so I bought the X4MC
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #21
dylan1357
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
The new GLC 63 does look amazing, watched a review by Shmee 150 on the S model and it sounded amazing...and the tech is a slight step above the XMCs...albeit mostly expensive options. But here in the UK it's likely to be rrp price at launch whereas I managed £10k discount on an X3MC

Next time I'll be searching for the V8!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:08 AM   #22
SocalDude
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

GLC looks like a car my grandma would drive. Sorry.
Appreciate 1
Mako1546.50