BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #1
Bahkoorah
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83 2005

New X3 E86 owner, some issues regarding wheels and brakes

Hi all,
I'm a relatively new BMW X3 3.0i 2005 Automatic owner and recently my car has been causing some issues after an accident I had with it.

First, the rear right tyre came off during driving which resulted in me having to drive on it for a tiny bit before parking to the side. The wheel got replaced by the slim spare wheel that's underneath the car.

Then I figured to get a different set of rims and tyres since the rim that lost it's tyre is unusable due to damage, so I picked up some BMW X5 wheels thinking since they're both from BMW cars, it should be relatively fine.

for context:

The old Rims and Tyres was 235/50/R18 on all 4
The new X5 wheels are staggered, 275/35ZR19 rears, 235/35ZR19 fronts

Then once I started driving, I noticed a sort of 'clunking' noise that kinda sounded like it was under the car, maybe towards the rear. This happened during acceleration from stop to around 40/50 km/s.

I had a family friend mechanic take a look and he then also noticed that my brakes were 'sticking' during acceleration, so he replaced all 4 brake rotors and pads and the issue for that one didn't go away.

He also told me about an engine code that he couldn't clear, 5F1E
Which I tried googling but I get many mixed results and answers for it, some say it's the Transfer Case being damaged or faulty, but really unsure.

At this point I am uncertain whether or not if it could be the new wheels that are causing some issues, if I should either get new tyres which are all the same size, my mechanic said that these tyres are slightly smaller than the original ones that came on the car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
Ralph11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 e83

Hi, are there any warning lamps coming up in the display? Like abs, brake, 4x4….. It could likely be related to the new tires you put on since it started then…. Did you check the actuator motor on the transfer case, there the issue (worn out gear) could likely be? It may have to move more now due to the new bigger tires, which brings up the issue…. For an easy check you can turn the gear by 180 DegC (if worn out) and test again… there are plenty procedures in the net for this work….. The failure code you mentioned above is more related to a trailer issue, from what I found in the forums not really relevant to your issue….. best regards Ralph
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
Ralph11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 e83

One more thing, are the new tires listed on your car manual, if not this could be the issue too, you may want to try other tires….
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 06:47 AM   #4
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

If you posted the new tire sizes correctly, you may have an issue that is damaging your car. I'm assuming your car is all wheel drive since I'm not certain what BMW sold in your market. The tire sizes you gave has the rear tires about an inch taller than the fronts. This makes the front and rear axles turn at different speeds, which in turn makes your transfer case very unhappy.

Which year X5 did they come off of?
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0