BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #1
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Common courtesy at red lights

Two lane road in each direction. Not a lot of traffic and I am first car and driving in the right lane. I will pull over, if there is room, to the left lane to leave room for cars wanting to make a right turn on red. It seems to be just basic courtesy. I am usually the first one away from a red light so no problem getting back to the right lane.

On the other hand, sometimes there is room for a car to go straight and another to make a right turn in the right lane. I always hug the left lane marker to leave room but it amazes me how many drivers stay in the middle of the lane and block the turn lane.

This is all part of the "me" attitude that seems to be spreading around the world.
Appreciate 5
shadowfax1289.00
chenry2346.00
arashir164.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      07-01-2019, 02:53 PM   #2
b92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is, 6MT

I'm on this wave too but I wouldn't call it basic courtesy, more of an increased situational awareness.
omasou2079.50
xander_g965.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      07-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Let me ask this. If you are in the left lane and there isn't a dedicated left turn lane at said intersection; are you not blocking those wanting to turn left in the event there is a dedicated left turn signal at this intersection?

We have several of these locally. If you are in the left lane then you possibly get stuck behind someone wanting to turn left until the oncoming traffic has passed or you are blocking someone needing to turn left who is behind you if you catch the left turn signal. At the same time, if you are in the the right lane then you are potentially blocking someone behind you from turning right.

I stay in the right lane as not to block someone turning left or to get stuck behind someone turning left. Those turning right don't have to wait on oncoming traffic to pass to turn right so those bastards can wait in my opinion.

Most times it is situational based on traffic, who is turning what direction etc. I will say that I am less inclined to be courteous to people who don't use turn signals. If a person can't be courteous enough to project their intended direction, then I care not for their frustration concerning my actions thereafter. These are typically the times that the comment "That asshole in a BMW, Lexus, etc." are thrown out.

Ahhhhh......people....what assholes.

Last edited by King Rudi; 07-01-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Can't go right on red here. So everybody stays in the right and it's illegal to overtake on the right.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What I used to do back in the US was at night when there is no one around... and I pull up to a rather longish traffic red light... say wanting to go left or straight... when there is no traffic around... and you are just sitting waiting for the light to change...

I would pull up to the white line at the intersection... then roll back a half a car length... then pull up again. The traffic light would think there are more cars waiting and the red light would change to green in a few seconds. A friend of mine showed me this little trick. I thought it was rather interesting.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      07-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Let me ask this. If you are in the left lane and there isn't a dedicated left turn lane at said intersection; are you not blocking those wanting to turn left in the event there is a dedicated left turn signal at this intersection?

We have several of these locally. If you are in the left lane then you possibly get stuck behind someone wanting to turn left until the oncoming traffic has passed or you are blocking someone needing to turn left who is behind you if you catch the left turn signal. At the same time, if you are in the the right lane then you are potentially blocking someone behind you from turning right.

I stay in the right lane as not to block someone turning left or to get stuck behind someone turning left. Those turning right don't have to wait on oncoming traffic to pass to turn right so those bastards can wait in my opinion.

Most times it is situational based on traffic, who is turning what direction etc. I will say that I am less inclined to be courteous to people who don't use turn signals. If a person can't be courteous enough to project their intended direction, then I care not for their frustration concerning my actions thereafter. These are typically the times that the comment "That asshole in a BMW, Lexus, etc." are thrown out.

Not an issue in Arizona. Very few left turn on red intersections and almost every intersection has a left turn lane different from the left lane.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What I used to do back in the US was at night when there is no one around... and I pull up to a rather longish traffic red light... say wanting to go left or straight... when there is no traffic around... and you are just sitting waiting for the light to change...

I would pull up to the white line at the intersection... then roll back a half a car length... then pull up again. The traffic light would think there are more cars waiting and the red light would change to green in a few seconds. A friend of mine showed me this little trick. I thought it was rather interesting.
I do this in the left turn lanes at red lights. Doesn't always work. The problem here isn't the timing but most intersections are looking for three cars before turning on the turn signal. So the backup routine helps.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      07-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I do this in the left turn lanes at red lights. Doesn't always work. The problem here isn't the timing but most intersections are looking for three cars before turning on the turn signal. So the backup routine helps.
If it's at night or no people around, and I know the light takes forever, I'll just turn right onto the perpendicular street, make a u-turn, and then go whichever way I want. Right if I wanted to continue straight, straight if I wanted to turn left, and left if I wanted to U-turn.

I hope I confused you enough, but it makes sense to me. I typically do this on my way home from work actually as the U-turn I have to make is across a regional tram/train line (metro, subway, whatever) and the arrow only goes green at the beginning of that sides sequence so if the light for straight is green I dip right and u-turn to wait for the left turn (usually a few seconds) and then I'm good. If the lights are all red, I have to make it into the turn lane and far enough to trigger the sensor, otherwise I'm screwed.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I’m not sure it’s necessarily about having a “me” attitude. I think most people’s situational awareness is extremely poor. It’s like people drive around with their head in the clouds.
Appreciate 6
King Rudi13152.00
clee1982796.00
arashir164.00
jkoral1016.00
cfm56d7b5849.00
      07-01-2019, 07:26 PM   #10
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I would do the same and try my best to allow someone behind me to make a right turn. However, if I were approaching the red light and both lanes were open I would choose the left lane so i can leave the right open for someone to turn.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:59 PM   #11
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I’m not sure it’s necessarily about having a “me” attitude. I think most people’s situational awareness is extremely poor. It’s like people drive around with their heads BURIED IN THEIR iDUMBASS GADGETS

Appreciate 2
      07-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #12
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Depends on the situation. If I am turning right just past the intersection I will stay in the right lane.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:56 PM   #13
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I don't. I understand it's inconveniencing people behind me but there's nothing I can do but wait.

Plus if you try to give someone room it's still a tight space and there's a chance they will hit you.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      07-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #14
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Two lane road in each direction. Not a lot of traffic and I am first car and driving in the right lane. I will pull over, if there is room, to the left lane to leave room for cars wanting to make a right turn on red. It seems to be just basic courtesy. I am usually the first one away from a red light so no problem getting back to the right lane.

On the other hand, sometimes there is room for a car to go straight and another to make a right turn in the right lane. I always hug the left lane marker to leave room but it amazes me how many drivers stay in the middle of the lane and block the turn lane.

This is all part of the "me" attitude that seems to be spreading around the world.
I do the same. I don't think it's so much the "me" attitude as it is some drivers are just clueless.

Quote:
I will say that I am less inclined to be courteous to people who don't use turn signals. If a person can't be courteous enough to project their intended direction, then I care not for their frustration concerning my actions thereafter. These are typically the times that the comment "That asshole in a BMW, Lexus, etc." are thrown out.

^ THIS!

Even worse, I personally think anyone that hits their brake pedal and stops at the light before they put on their left blinker should be shot! Drives me crazy. How about a warning so I don't get stuck behind your dumb ass.

OK, I feel better now. Carry on.
Rmtt8206.00
      07-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #15
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Can't go right on red here. So everybody stays in the right and it's illegal to overtake on the right.
We have laws too but the police only pull over people when they want to even if things happen right in front of their face...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #16
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I do the same. I don't think it's so much the "me" attitude as it is some drivers are just clueless.

^ THIS!

Even worse, I personally think anyone that hits their brake pedal and stops at the light before they put on their left blinker should be shot! Drives me crazy. How about a warning so I don't get stuck behind your dumb ass.

OK, I feel better now. Carry on.
YEEEESSS!!! To both. It truly makes me wonder how people make it through life with blinders on.

To go a step further most passing these days has to be done in the right lane as EVERYONE wants to do 5 miles under the speed limit in the left lane. I'm amazed at how many people simply do not understand how the driving system works.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #17
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
nyc, can't turn right on red, and can't turn right on red in most countries I visit either so never really thought much about it...
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #18
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

This happened to me last week. I turned onto the main street that leads up to the street that turns off to go into my neighborhood. I immediately see they have the roads torn up as road construction is going on everywhere here. But they have up a sign that says left lane closed, so I immediately get into the right lane.

Well of course you have others who try to go as far up as they can and then merge while the rest of us have waited patiently. Well I'm in the right lane behind a Septic Pumper Truck of all things...so I'm staying a few feet from his bumper as there is loose gravel everywhere...plus it's a big truck.

He pulls up, I pull up. after about 10 minutes, traffic moves again and apparently the guy behind me who I haven't even noticed aside from being right on my bumper turns right into a business and yells out asshole.

Well I am not like I used to be in my past, and I typically ignore this stuff. But something about this just flew all over me...felt like someone pulled a wool sweater over my ears. Just so happens that another few feet up, there is a second pull in to the same business so without thinking I pull in...drive up as he and his "trashy looking significant other" haven't got out of their car yet...and I park right behind him parallel to his car and get out.

I ask...what did you call me? He then tries to play it off and says he was yelling at another driver. I told him all the other cars around us had their windows up except for me, so he was the dumbass if he expects anyone else to hear him except for me so I knew who he was directing it at...and where did he expect for me to go with a truck literally 2ft. in front of me???

He just stood there looking at me with a shit eating WTF look on his face. I said a few more choice words, and told him if I heard him say anything else as I was leaving, I would immediately turn around and come back.

Now I know this was stupid....and for the record I have been shot in the past for jumping into an altercation with someone who started something, and then followed me and shot me the next day.

But this time I just couldn't help myself as I did nothing wrong...and I am starting to get very weary of people and their mentality that no one else exists but them.

Later I felt bad....but so be it. It was just a bad day for me that day...and people need to realize that they aren't the only ones on the road, and you never know what type of person they are..or mood they are in.

Oh and for the record, I do try to get in the other lane when I know it's a lane that most people turn in....and I also stop when the light turns yellow as there are people typically across from me trying to get turned.
      07-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #19
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
This happened to me last week. I turned onto the main street that leads up to the street that turns off to go into my neighborhood. I immediately see they have the roads torn up as road construction is going on everywhere here. But they have up a sign that says left lane closed, so I immediately get into the right lane.

Well of course you have others who try to go as far up as they can and then merge while the rest of us have waited patiently. Well I'm in the right lane behind a Septic Pumper Truck of all things...so I'm staying a few feet from his bumper as there is loose gravel everywhere...plus it's a big truck.

He pulls up, I pull up. after about 10 minutes, traffic moves again and apparently the guy behind me who I haven't even noticed aside from being right on my bumper turns right into a business and yells out asshole.

Well I am not like I used to be in my past, and I typically ignore this stuff. But something about this just flew all over me...felt like someone pulled a wool sweater over my ears. Just so happens that another few feet up, there is a second pull in to the same business so without thinking I pull in...drive up as he and his "trashy looking significant other" haven't got out of their car yet...and I park right behind him parallel to his car and get out.

I ask...what did you call me? He then tries to play it off and says he was yelling at another driver. I told him all the other cars around us had their windows up except for me, so he was the dumbass if he expects anyone else to hear him except for me so I knew who he was directing it at...and where did he expect for me to go with a truck literally 2ft. in front of me???

He just stood there looking at me with a shit eating WTF look on his face. I said a few more choice words, and told him if I heard him say anything else as I was leaving, I would immediately turn around and come back.

Now I know this was stupid....and for the record I have been shot in the past for jumping into an altercation with someone who started something, and then followed me and shot me the next day.

But this time I just couldn't help myself as I did nothing wrong...and I am starting to get very weary of people and their mentality that no one else exists but them.

Later I felt bad....but so be it. It was just a bad day for me that day...and people need to realize that they aren't the only ones on the road, and you never know what type of person they are..or mood they are in.

Oh and for the record, I do try to get in the other lane when I know it's a lane that most people turn in....and I also stop when the light turns yellow as there are people typically across from me trying to get turned.
Dude! Forgive my laughter but I saw the pic of you in the gym thread. I can only imagine what was going through his head when he saw you. Not only your size but the fact that you have martial arts background. I'm not trying to be a shit-stirrer but I hope you got his tag number, because I heard him mumble asshole under his breathe all the way from here as you walked away.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
clee1982796.00
      07-02-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
YEEEESSS!!! To both. It truly makes me wonder how people make it through life with blinders on.

To go a step further most passing these days has to be done in the right lane as EVERYONE wants to do 5 miles under the speed limit in the left lane. I'm amazed at how many people simply do not understand how the driving system works.
Don't even get me started on the left lane hoggers. How freakin difficult is the concept of staying right except to pass.

I hate people
      07-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #21
mgmarsh39
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Need to petition your local government for more turn lanes.

Never really saw this problem in FL... Living in TX where the curbs are 2ft tall and no turn lanes ever, I get where this is coming from. I try to stay in the right if there are no other cars. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but it's the poor road design.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #22
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Don't even get me started on the left lane hoggers. How freakin difficult is the concept of staying right except to pass.

I hate people
Agree. People.....what bastards.

Another notable favorite of mine is when people who are turning left out of a side street, rather than waiting for both lanes to be accessible to enter, will jump into the turning lane and just drive waiting for their shot at the lane they want to get into. It always brings a smile to my face when I see someone do this and then they are instantly stopped by someone in the turning lane legitimately using it for it's intended usage thus blocking both drivers from getting anywhere.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00