BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2020, 08:43 PM   #45
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The Porsche clearly has a nicer interior.
That is totally dependant on how you option up the Macan. There is little doubt the Macan interior is much, much nicer after the 2019 refresh. However at base it's not nicer as it's got miles of black plastic that looks a little outdated in 2020. There are so many options that you can get it looking much nicer with two-tone leather, extended full leather, altantara, and carbon fiber options, but the price escalates steeply once you start making the interior nicer. I considered one of these but to get a vehicle comparable to the X3M C in the same price ballpark you can option up a Macan S nicely but the Audi single turbo V6 is a dog or you can go with a base GTS which isn't overall as nice a vehicle as the X3M Comp IMO and the 2.9L TT V6 is better but arguably not even as good an engine as the B58. That said I would probably opt for a highly equipped GTS over the X3M C if price was no object. Of all the SUV's IMO it is the most car-like and I've always been a car guy.
Appreciate 1
JaeP63.00
      01-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #46
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
That is totally dependant on how you option up the Macan. There is little doubt the Macan interior is much, much nicer after the 2019 refresh. However at base it's not nicer as it's got miles of black plastic that looks a little outdated in 2020. There are so many options that you can get it looking much nicer with two-tone leather, extended full leather, altantara, and carbon fiber options, but the price escalates steeply once you start making the interior nicer. I considered one of these but to get a vehicle comparable to the X3M C in the same price ballpark you can option up a Macan S nicely but the Audi single turbo V6 is a dog or you can go with a base GTS which isn't overall as nice a vehicle as the X3M Comp IMO and the 2.9L TT V6 is better but arguably not even as good an engine as the B58. That said I would probably opt for a highly equipped GTS over the X3M C if price was no object. Of all the SUV's IMO it is the most car-like and I've always been a car guy.
If you are a car guy, why didn’t you get a car? trunk space?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #47
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Between the car seats and the Macan conversation this is like two threads from a few days ago merged into one
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #48
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
The Porsche clearly has a nicer interior.
That's a fair point in concept. My comments are all related to my personal GTS and X3MC builds that are with $1k of each other at MSRP. It is true that they're not equally equipped, but the GTS has a couple of options not even available on the X3MC. Examples are the air suspension, no-cost sunroof delete, and their cargo management system that's desirable to me.

Considering the inherent BMW bias here, I should probably bring up again the very attractive power advantage the X3MC has. That, along with iDrive, and what I expect to be a lower street price makes the X3MC very appealing.
      01-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #49
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
That's a fair point in concept. My comments are all related to my personal GTS and X3MC builds that are with $1k of each other at MSRP. It is true that they're not equally equipped, but the GTS has a couple of options not even available on the X3MC. Examples are the air suspension, no-cost sunroof delete, and their cargo management system that's desirable to me.

Considering the inherent BMW bias here, I should probably bring up again the very attractive power advantage the X3MC has. That, along with iDrive, and what I expect to be a lower street price makes the X3MC very appealing.
Speaking of BMW bias, did you test drive the 2020 X3 M40i? It’s faster than Macan GTS and might save you 20-30k.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #50
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:

Speaking of BMW bias, did you test drive the 2020 X3 M40i? It's faster than Macan GTS and might save you 20-30k.
I'm not seriously considering the X3 M40i. I am considering a M340i, but that's a discussion for another thread.

I haven't test driven anything yet. I plan on doing that when it gets warmer up here. I have time as I'm not buying anything until after I see who wins the Presidential election. (avoiding any further comment to avoid a political discussion)
      01-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #51
spmd11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I have a brand new X3MC which I took delivery of two weeks ago. This is my daily. My wife has a 2018 Macan Sport Edition with PASM and the works with a 4cylinder. The X3MC is hard core M. The Macan, while a blast to drive, is much smaller. I would say the Macan is the more nimble car with a more compliant suspension that can do duty as a family machine but one child, 2 max and it’s a pretty tight fit in the back seat. The X3MC is a much larger car and the suspension is fine for family unless you are driving in the North with lots of pot holes. The X3MC is like driving a tall M3 and it is FAST. Will blow the doors off of everything that is a 3 box formula. Best thing is for you to test drive both samples.
      01-02-2020, 10:27 PM   #52
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
If you are a car guy, why didn’t you get a car? trunk space?
Life changes. I've owned a lot of cars since the early 90's and I have never owned a pickup truck or SUV. I've largely been anti-SUV but my boys are active playing sport and I just figured why not try a performance oriented SUV while we are in the golden age of ICE powered vehicles. Worst thing that can happen if I get bored of it that I pass it down to my wife.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:35 PM   #53
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKen_0115 View Post
Hey,

Not sure if you have been struggling to decide either or on these two great cars. X3MC has lots great technologies, safety and most power but Macan GTS looks sharp and handling is quite different than BMW, GTS has the nicer interior though. GTS is only having a used one for consideration but I can have brand new on BMW. Which one you would choose? I have 17 M2 in my fleet and really need a SUV for my 1st child coming.

X3MC seems to have more space than GTS, I have been struggling on these two over a month and the budget is fine for either or.

Please share your opinion and love to get some aspect from you folks.
Well, I’ve had two X3Ms, enjoyed it although did the MSS changes, etc. My wife didn’t like the ride and the fast throttle response and quick brakes. I had to drive it very gently, but that’s hard to do all the time. She liked the Macan, so I thought GTS would be good (fortunately price was not as much of an factor for me). I found it lacking in power, even though I was prepared for less. It’s just the way Porsche seems to dial their throttle or the way PDK handles power, the brakes are also far easier to modulate smoothly. So if I had a new born coming Macan seems like a good choice. In the end the Macan Turbo seemed to be a better fit so I went with it, yes it’s pricy. So I have a happy wife, who loves the ride and smoothness. Even I am impressed by the smooth ride, but can be sporty. Most important difference may be the sound and vibration isolation when hitting bad roads and potholes. If BMW could isolated the impact of the hard bushings, it would make a big difference. The Macan Turbo with air suspension and 20 inch wheels is better isolated than my wife’s X3 3.0i with 18 inch wheels.

Different vehicles for different purpose. X3M is raw and powerful, I do miss it but not on longer trips and rough roads as a daily. Will I like the Macan Turbo, just had it for a week but probably but for different reasons. I think it’s a luxury car that can double as a sporty SUV and that’s a good thing for some of us. Quiet over bumps, a weak point on the X3M. Ride that seems better than a MB GLS550, hard to believe so must be in my mind.

Last edited by JaeP; 04-11-2021 at 07:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:16 PM   #54
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

It's a pretty obvious no brainer that the Porsche has a better ride quality with the air suspension. But that's not what you buy a M product far. When I'm driving my X3 M Comp balls the wall & pushing it hard it feels just right in every way!
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1