BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
SWOT1
The Hammock Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC, X3 M40i, E93 M3

Garage List
Solid new review of the X3MC (in the snow!)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com

- '20 X3MC | Alpine White | Black Alcantara/Midrand Beige | loaded | 295/265 PS4S
- '09 E93 M3 | Alpine White | Bamboo Beige Novillo | DCT | loaded | Chrome M220 Wheels - 275/255 PSS
Appreciate 4
dazzapb1050.00
AlexFL7834.00
      02-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

What an excellent review! The guy hits all the positives and negatives of the vehicle.

My favorite was “Its supposed to be firm! It’s an ///M car!”
Appreciate 1
SWOT1492.50
      02-27-2020, 12:59 AM   #3
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I admired the review in an environment that I hadn't seen tested to that degree. I bought my F97, coming from a G01 M40i, also on the premise that it would be a solid snow performer given my residence in the hills in Northern Italy. I now live in North East America and again appreciate the dependability of this vehicle in this environment.
Appreciate 1
SWOT1492.50
      02-27-2020, 08:01 AM   #4
Scolirk
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 740iL

Took the X3 M Competition on a Road-Trip

Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I got to spend some time with the 2020 X3 M Competition in Donington Grey. BMW Canada let me take this bad boy on a 2,400km road trip from my town in central Québec to the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, Ontario. I don't think anyone will drive their X3 M in efficient mode as much as I did on that trip

I go over everything about the F97 and why you might consider it over the X3 M40i or other M Cars in this price range.
JKen_0115175.50
      02-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolirk View Post
Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I got to spend some time with the 2020 X3 M Competition in Donington Grey. BMW Canada let me take this bad boy on a 2,400km road trip from my town in central Québec to the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto, Ontario. I don't think anyone will drive their X3 M in efficient mode as much as I did on that trip

I go over everything about the F97 and why you might consider it over the X3 M40i or other M Cars in this price range.
Very nice review. Well done. I can imagine that reviewing performance cars in Canadian winter is rather tricky. I just wished car reviewers would actually test and report the acceleration numbers rather than simply reporting the understated BMW numbers. The true beauty of this car for us enthusiasts is that we can bring kids to school, shop at home depot... and then run 11.6 over quarter mile on a drag strip. A true Swiss Army knife with an extremely reasonable price tag.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Very nice review. Well done. I can imagine that reviewing performance cars in Canadian winter is rather tricky. I just wished car reviewers would actually test and report the acceleration numbers rather than simply reporting the understated BMW numbers. The true beauty of this car for us enthusiasts is that we can bring kids to school, shop at home depot... and then run 11.6 over quarter mile on a drag strip. A true Swiss Army knife with an extremely reasonable price tag.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one getting tired of hearing reviewers regurgitating BMW's nerfed numbers which are so different from reality. Totally agree about shuttling kids and making "quick trips' to HD. I'm just afraid to get tickets over here. Driving the fiancée's X1 until next month when I reunite with my baby. I don't know how I'm going to drive the 3 here and keep my license. It begs to be pushed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #7
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

It’s interesting that the reviewer likes the firm suspension in the X3M because it matches M car expectations yet complains about the older technology in the car, meaning the gauges and infotainment. He gets is on one aspect, and misses it on another - shouldn’t the M cars have classic gauges, driving focused, and not counter rotating hexagon shaped graphic errors?

Anyway just my opinion of course, and it’s a sign of the times. I’d pay $500 extra for classic gauges in my car (glad I didn’t have to this go around).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
Scolirk
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
What an excellent review! The guy hits all the positives and negatives of the vehicle.

My favorite was “Its supposed to be firm! It’s an ///M car!”
It was the number one thing I was asked during my time with the car, I really felt that people forgot what this car was meant to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I'm hoping to incorporate an accurate way to test the 0-100km times on these vehicles. Up until now I try to see personally how quick it was by the video timecode, in this case the X3 M was closer to 5 seconds, but there's latency between when I say 100 and the actual speed, along with the camera lag. It's something on my list to do this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
It’s interesting that the reviewer likes the firm suspension in the X3M because it matches M car expectations yet complains about the older technology in the car, meaning the gauges and infotainment. He gets is on one aspect, and misses it on another - shouldn’t the M cars have classic gauges, driving focused, and not counter rotating hexagon shaped graphic errors?

Anyway just my opinion of course, and it’s a sign of the times. I’d pay $500 extra for classic gauges in my car (glad I didn’t have to this go around).
It's funny you bring that up, I featured the 2020 BMW M4 Competition convertible just before the winter really hit, and I figured there'd be some serious interest in the video since it's one of the 'classic' M Cars available, with analogue gauges, older tech in general, and RWD-Only. Yet no one watched the video, interest in the outgoing M3/M4 seems to be non-existent.

But I also mention in the video that the tech complaint is nit-picking, the old iDrive and cluster aren't really negatives considering what you get for the price, and ultimately what the X3 M represents.
      03-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #9
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
It was the number one thing I was asked during my time with the car, I really felt that people forgot what this car was meant to be

I'm hoping to incorporate an accurate way to test the 0-100km times on these vehicles. Up until now I try to see personally how quick it was by the video timecode, in this case the X3 M was closer to 5 seconds, but there's latency between when I say 100 and the actual speed, along with the camera lag. It's something on my list to do this year!

It's funny you bring that up, I featured the 2020 BMW M4 Competition convertible just before the winter really hit, and I figured there'd be some serious interest in the video since it's one of the 'classic' M Cars available, with analogue gauges, older tech in general, and RWD-Only. Yet no one watched the video, interest in the outgoing M3/M4 seems to be non-existent.

But I also mention in the video that the tech complaint is nit-picking, the old iDrive and cluster aren't really negatives considering what you get for the price, and ultimately what the X3 M represents.
I personally think old tech is a valid concern if the new tech was better.

People say 7 is much better with the iDrive but I can’t get over the cluster.

I would understand 2 RPM gauges if it had two engines, but by last count....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #10
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I featured the 2020 BMW M4 Competition convertible just before the winter really hit, and I figured there'd be some serious interest in the video since it's one of the 'classic' M Cars available, with analogue gauges, older tech in general, and RWD-Only. Yet no one watched the video, interest in the outgoing M3/M4 seems to be non-existent.
I wouldn't really call it a 'classic'. It's 6 years old at this point, and everyone knows what it is by now. Not to mention you've taken a perfectly good car and ruined it by taking the top off.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #11
MForSpeed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOT1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOT1 View Post
Great review
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:38 AM   #12
zeusrazvy
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
I personally think old tech is a valid concern if the new tech was better.

People say 7 is much better with the iDrive but I can’t get over the cluster.

I would understand 2 RPM gauges if it had two engines, but by last count....
I`ve spent one month with an 8 series, going back to my x3m.. I like both clusters, maybe idrive 7 as is more modern... whilst Idrive 6/7...the launch interface seems nicer on 7 but I use car play which a lot of people are/will/should be using just because of google maps / waze / spotify / youtube music etc and is literally no difference..oh wait, there is one - on idrive 7 I had multiple disconnections and lag .
Appreciate 0