BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Do those adapters also support around the rim of the mount?

Ive seen many that sit only inside, but the design mount design seems like it should be supporting the mount on the inside and the rim.

I’ve got two sets of the older aluminum jacks so would love to have one set dedicated to my X3.
The jack stand adapters do not support the rim of the jack pad mount, only the inside. The rim of the plastic pads actually bend out of shape pretty easily, so you really want the weight of the car on the inside anyway.

The block that goes into the pad is 2.2" x 1.1", which is larger than most jack pad adapters, but not so large as to get stuck in the pad. I use a common jack pad with a 2" x 1" block, and the larger jack stand adapter fits the mounting point better in comparison.

The ebay seller has these adapters for HF aluminum jack stands too, just search for 'BMW jack stand adapter'. I am very happy I found these adapters. No need to buy additional more expensive jack stands, and the adapters go on and off in seconds, so I can use the stands on non-BMW with ease.

This is the jack pad I use for reference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #24
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
The jack stand adapters do not support the rim of the jack pad mount, only the inside. The rim of the plastic pads actually bend out of shape pretty easily, so you really want the weight of the car on the inside anyway.

The block that goes into the pad is 2.2" x 1.1", which is larger than most jack pad adapters, but not so large as to get stuck in the pad. I use a common jack pad with a 2" x 1" block, and the larger jack stand adapter fits the mounting point better in comparison.

The ebay seller has these adapters for HF aluminum jack stands too, just search for 'BMW jack stand adapter'. I am very happy I found these adapters. No need to buy additional more expensive jack stands, and the adapters go on and off in seconds, so I can use the stands on non-BMW with ease.

This is the jack pad I use for reference.
Thanks for the additional info - I think I found the seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-stand-...sAAOSwMIVdtgDf

So I'm looking at about $100 for these which is likely more than I spent on the jack stands lol.

Interesting point about the plastic rim of the mount bending - I was under the impression the jack/stand adapter should hit both the inside and the perimeter to distribute the weight.

I have that exact jack pad adapter but in red - it has worked great.

Can you tell me your procedure for jacking? Do you use the jack pad adapter on the front and get the back on the stand? Or do you just not use it and jack it up from the front and rear points?

Appreciate the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #25
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I paid $40 for the set off Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K6VF5C0..._Ur-2Eb7BSGTWA
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #26
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info - I think I found the seller:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jack-stand-...sAAOSwMIVdtgDf

So I'm looking at about $100 for these which is likely more than I spent on the jack stands lol.

Interesting point about the plastic rim of the mount bending - I was under the impression the jack/stand adapter should hit both the inside and the perimeter to distribute the weight.

I have that exact jack pad adapter but in red - it has worked great.

Can you tell me your procedure for jacking? Do you use the jack pad adapter on the front and get the back on the stand? Or do you just not use it and jack it up from the front and rear points?

Appreciate the help.
Note that the adapters are $42 for a PAIR, pretty reasonable for all metal construction and custom fit.

I almost always use front and rear under car jack points, but I have a 1 series. I only use the side jack pads if I want to pull one wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #27
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Note that the adapters are $42 for a PAIR, pretty reasonable for all metal construction and custom fit.

I almost always use front and rear under car jack points, but I have a 1 series. I only use the side jack pads if I want to pull one wheel.
Yea I would want 2 pair so I can have the entire vehicle lifted at once. Would make changing tires or doing other work easier.

The X3 seems to have a rear jack point but no dedicated front jack point like I had on my E46 M3.

Others here has posted to do jack on the control arm.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #28
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I paid $40 for the set off Amazon....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K6VF5C0..._Ur-2Eb7BSGTWA
Set of which? There are several options but that link brings me to the jack pad...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #29
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I saw a link earlier to jack pads on ebay and wanted to provide an alternate source. No jack stands in my post. I still haven't bought any yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #30
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I saw a link earlier to jack pads on ebay and wanted to provide an alternate source. No jack stands in my post. I still haven't bought any yet.
Ah - I got my red Potauto (potato?) from Amazon.

Works great. No damage to the mount when jacking.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 12:51 AM   #31
Craig 1527
Craig
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3m comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky401 View Post
that’s interesting as mine does and i think we both picked ours up around the same time so assuming similar production dates due to the great x3m deals
seems strange that some do and some don't like to hear other owners if they have the brace or not.
collected mine in November
f31 335i mineral grey/coral gone but will be missed.
gone 2014 range rover sport dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #32
c0bra
Commander ;)
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea I would want 2 pair so I can have the entire vehicle lifted at once. Would make changing tires or doing other work easier.

The X3 seems to have a rear jack point but no dedicated front jack point like I had on my E46 M3.

Others here has posted to do jack on the control arm.

Thanks for the help!
Makes sense you want 2 pair.

I use a pair of stands along with a pair of ramps to raise the entire vehicle when needed. Since wheels are staggered, I don't really need more than 2 wheels off at a time.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 06:05 PM   #33
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Front Jack Point

So I'm planning to mount my winter wheels/tires this week as well as install my low dust brake pads. I also got my jack stand adapters from eBay which seem like good quality.

Can anyone weigh in on the appropriate place for the front jack point?

ONLYA6 has indicated to use the lower control arm connection point. Not saying he is wrong, just want to get other opinions before I start.

I figure I'll get a hockey puck or piece of wood to prevent any scratching (although my jack has a rubber pad already on it).

Appreciate the replies.

Front jack points (credit: ONLYA6)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #34
crst4s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60

I bought "imUfer Jack Pad Adapter" from Amazon, $7.00 each. Good quality and do the job. I see no need to spend any more. The only issue is that they do not really facillitate use of jackstands for the factory lift points. Either these would need to be positioned elsewhere or a different jacking position used.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 07:23 PM   #35
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crst4s View Post
I bought "imUfer Jack Pad Adapter" from Amazon, $7.00 each. Good quality and do the job. I see no need to spend any more. The only issue is that they do not really facillitate use of jackstands for the factory lift points. Either these would need to be positioned elsewhere or a different jacking position used.
I have the same (different brand). Last year I swapped one wheel at a time.

That worked fine, but I’m not a huge fan of having a jack-only supported vehicle as they can and do fail.

Also, as you stated, you can’t use jack stands. Because I’m doing the brakes I want to have access to both sides at once.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 07:29 AM   #36
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Well I ended up using the control arm jack point with a block of wood on the cup (I could not find a hockey puck locally). For the back I used the cross brace connection.

Everything worked out great and it was nice to have the full vehicle supported while up in the air.

Thanks to those who responded!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:36 AM   #37
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Picked up these bad boys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #38
spta97
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
Picked up these bad boys!
Just two?

If I didn't already have THREE sets of jack stands, I might have gone that route.

The adapters worked out perfectly; though cost me $100.
Appreciate 1
forza19763398.00