BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
chris513
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive28i

Dinantronics Sport Tuner Review!

Hey everyone

So a while ago, I bought a used 2014 F25 X3 with the N20 engine. I've always loved tuning cars to try to get more power out of them. After checking available options for the X3, I decided to give the Dinantronics Sport Tuner a try. This is a small black device that plugs into the pressure sensor on the turbo charge pipe. Its fairly inexpensive, only around $250. Basically what it does it tell the car that its making less boost than its supposed to, so the turbo spools a bit more to compensate. I've been using the device for a few months now on my daily driven car and I thought I'd share some of the data I've collected about its performance. Everyone loves data, right?

The devices works via bluetooth with an app for both Android and Iphone. It has 3 performance settings, as well as a stock setting and a valet setting, which reduces the potential boost pressure by -3 psi. But nobody cares about the stock and valet settings. We're here to talk performance!

I have a boost gauge in my car, as well as the boost gauge that comes with the Dinan phone app. I have found that they both give roughly the same numbers, which means the gauge on the app is very accurate. I will also add, that I have installed a basic K&N drop in air filter. Now to the datas!

The N20 Turbo engine produces 10 psi of boost from the factory. This has been confirmed with both boost gauges. The turbo in its factory setting is fairly quiet, however you can hear it spool a bit at full throttle. The three performance settings on the unit are Sport, Sport+ and Race mode. According to Dinan, Sport mode is supposed to add 2 psi of boost. Sport+ is supposed to add 3 psi of boost. And Race mode is supposed to be 5 psi of boost. Now to discuss each mode. My data was collected on a day where it was about 80F outside, low humidity. I was also running 94 octane fuel.

Sport mode: My maximum boost pressure reached with this setting was 12.96 psi at full throttle. The turbo noise was roughly the same as stock, and the feeling of acceleration was about the same as well.

Sport+ mode: Ok, now things change a bit. It claims to give +3 psi of boost. My maximum boost pressure reached was 15.96 psi. Now the turbo starts to make some happy spooling noises, which is quite audible between 2500 and 4000 RPM. This setting is where the car really starts to feel a lot quicker, and the acceleration at full throttle will push you back in your seat.

Race mode: When you select Race mode on the app, a warning pops up on the screen telling you that you must use a minimum of 93 octane in this setting. I wasn't quite ready for how big of a difference Race mode was. First, the noise. The turbo SINGS. Loud happy spinning noises erupt from under the hood, with super satisfying "WHOOSH" noises when you shift or let off the throttle. Dinan claims race mode adds +5 psi of boost. My maximum boost pressure recorded was a staggering 21.96 psi of boost, almost 12 psi higher than stock. The acceleration is amazing. The car feels like an absolute BEAST in this mode. Dinan claims this setting can add up to 30 horsepower, but it feels like a lot more.

I'm hoping to find a 4 wheel drive dyno in the upcoming weeks so I can get a bit more data to share. And I'll also attempt to get a buddy to record a video of the gauges while I'm driving so you all can verify my claims here. I would absolutely recommend this device. For $250, you get very noticeable gains in boost and power. The car handles it just fine, there have been no problems or check engine lights, and again, this is my daily driven car. If you're looking to get a little more from your X3 but you don't want to get into changing mechanical parts or spend $1200 on a stage 1 tune, this plug and play unit might be exactly what you've been looking for. And if you all can think of any tests you'd like me to try with this device, let me know and I'll see if I can make it happen.

Next, I'll be reviewing Veepeak ODBCheck BLE+ in conjunction with Bimmercode and Bimmerlink. As soon as I feel I've explored all the options and settings, I'll be back to let everyone here know how it went and what to expect! Thanks for reading and I hope this was helpful!
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #2
Bowtiefanatc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Glad it works for you. Never did for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Sounds like good bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
McNuggetz
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 X3 28i, '18 Focus ST

I had this on our n20 and it was quite a hoot hearing the turbo on race mode.
      07-20-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 X5 F15

I know this is probably a dumb question.... BUT...
What amount of excess wear or stress does something like this put on the stock parts?

What would you anticipate the level of risk for damage would be for a daily driver?

I'm too boring to get into very many 'mods' at my current stage in life... lol...
but who doesn't like a little better performance where possible ?!?!
(as long as it doesn't start attacking the checkbook for repairs or premature replacements of parts)

Sounds like this may just be "waking up" the performance a little...
as opposed to actually modifying anything outside of acceptable spec?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:23 AM   #6
McNuggetz
Private
Rep

It requires you to select the mode every time you start the car, so if you wanted to you could run it stock 98% and the other 2% could be running it in sport or race mode.
      07-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #7
Bowtiefanatc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtox9 View Post
I know this is probably a dumb question.... BUT...
What amount of excess wear or stress does something like this put on the stock parts?

What would you anticipate the level of risk for damage would be for a daily driver?

I'm too boring to get into very many 'mods' at my current stage in life... lol...
but who doesn't like a little better performance where possible ?!?!
(as long as it doesn't start attacking the checkbook for repairs or premature replacements of parts)

Sounds like this may just be "waking up" the performance a little...
as opposed to actually modifying anything outside of acceptable spec?
Out of the other options on the market it's not too much extra stress. I'm guessing mine is much more than the Dinantronics Sports module.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
jj33low
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M, AMG C63S, TTRS, Gallardo

It's a great bang for the buck that everyone should do!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #9
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
What is the stock boost when you put the transmission (not the Dinan app) into Sport and Sport+? Does the Dinan app play nicely when putting the transmission into Sport and Sport+?

Also, what boost gauge do you have?
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 10:52 AM   #10
McNuggetz
Private
Rep

^Sport mode only changes transmission points, not boost settings.
      07-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetz View Post
^Sport mode only changes transmission points, not boost settings.
True, but if there is more power than expected or revs faster than expected, it could trip something in the transmission software...thats why I asked if they play nice together...
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #12
najnad
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetz View Post
It requires you to select the mode every time you start the car, so if you wanted to you could run it stock 98% and the other 2% could be running it in sport or race mode.
You cant just leave it in race or sport mode? You have to select each time you start up? Thats annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
McNuggetz
Private
Rep

^^correct, you have to change it everytime, unless other people had different experiences
      07-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #14
chris513
United_States
Rep

You do not need to change the setting every time you start it. You put it in race mode once, it stays in race mode. You only really need to use the phone app one time for initial setup, after that the settings are saved. The newer units may be a bit different from when you first tried one.

As far as wear goes, the turbo can handle the boost and the engine can handle the extra boost. The problem comes with the factory charge pipes, which are made out of a plastic that can become brittle after being exposed to heat for a long time. Most folks around here seem to agree that if you're going to be changing the boost levels, then switching to aluminum charge pipes is a good idea.

The transmission seems to handle everything fine so far. The driving mode (sport/comfort) seems to make a bigger difference than putting the transmission into sport mode, as the sport driving mode sharpens the throttle response.

My boost gauge is the ECS Tuning BMW 45mm boost gauge kit. Seems to be like basically every other boost gauge, however, this one matches the BMW font style and dashboard lights, so it looks like it belongs. I will say the gauge on the phone app seems to have a quicker response and will give you an exact number readout.
Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      07-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #15
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

I got mine today for my 2012 x3 35i. But the instruction on their website is poor: https://documents.dinancars.com/d440-0010.pdf. I still don't know where to find the pressure sensor. Do I need to open the engine cover for N55? Is there any video available? I googled some but only for N20. The sensor position in N55 seems different. Appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #16
Bowtiefanatc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brave-heart View Post
I got mine today for my 2012 x3 35i. But the instruction on their website is poor: https://documents.dinancars.com/d440-0010.pdf. I still don't know where to find the pressure sensor. Do I need to open the engine cover for N55? Is there any video available? I googled some but only for N20. The sensor position in N55 seems different. Appreciate your help.

It’s on the drivers side. Look at the pipe that goes from the front of the car and goes into the motor. On the backside is a plug. Pull the plug and then install the module.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:41 PM   #17
brave-heart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 x5 45e, 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiefanatc View Post
It’s on the drivers side. Look at the pipe that goes from the front of the car and goes into the motor. On the backside is a plug. Pull the plug and then install the module.
Thanks. I installed the tuner. Two more questions: 1) The blue tooth module is now mounted to a nearby pipe (not too much choices near the pressure sensor) - however I noticed the pipe became pretty hot after engine started. Would that cause issue for the blue tooth module ( e.g malfunction because of the temperature)? 2) The iphone APP is poor. No boost monitor. I can choose different modes, only when the performance on/off slider is switched to "OFF". When I turned the switch "ON", all modes grayed out - don't know which mode is effective. Is this normal? How can I make sure the SPORT PLUS mode is actually enabled? Also I can't change the mode when engine is running.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #18
chris513
United_States
Rep

I use Android, so I cant speak about the iphone app, however most people seem to agree that the iphone app is garbage. It doesnt work at all, where as the android app works 100% perfectly.

The unit is set by default to sport plus mode. If your options are grayed out, your bluetooth disconnected.

Also, the instructions with the unit clearly state to NEVER CHANGE THE SETTINGS WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. This is going to break your car. Seriously. Trying to switch modes on the fly will give you drivetrain malfunctions, check engine lights and will put your car into "limp home mode".

READ ALL OF THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE USING THIS DEVICE. They are incredibly clear and easy to understand.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #19
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

This is absolutely, totally worth the upgrade. I've done it on two N55 and one N20 and interestingly, the N20 was even more noticeable around town. It was more lively to drive around town than the boosted N55. Of course once out and accelerating on to the highway it was different story. On the N55, after driving for a while, (2017 X3 3.5 M Sport) I drove the new M40i with the 355HP engine was a bit surprised it felt no better than the Dinan enhanced N55 I had.
Appreciate 0