BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #1
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

Hello! New X3MC and comparison vs X3M40D

Hello all,

First post on this forum. Picked up my phytonic blue X3MC this weekend. I had a packed weekend of driving and managed to cover 400 miles across a variety of conditions.

Very happy to report that the car is fabulous!

Recent car history over the past 4 years include; 2014 obsidian black a45 amg, 2016 obsidian black c63 amg, sophistico grey 2018 x3 m40d and now the blue 2019 x3mc. Also have a 2018 mini john cooper works hatch as a run around. This is my first full M model, I previously had an 2016 m4 comp on order, but cancelled for the c63 due to that v8 roar (unmatched!).

I flipped the x3 m40d after only 9 months from new, as ultimately the car constantly left me wanting more. Don’t get me wrong, it was a great car but did not feel special enough for me. After four months of ownership, i secretly wanted it gone. Cue the great deals on the x3mc, and goodbye oil burner!

I thought it might be useful for me to do a quick comparison of the x3mc vs the x3 40d, given that the majority of people of this forum have been comparing the m40i. Sorted into a few categories which I think are relevant:

X3M40d vs X3MC

Exterior:

I love the phytonic blue paint job. The front diffuser, visible rads make the car look much meaner than the M performance counterpart. Ditto with the back end, but for some reason I think having non-black pipes would make them stand out more. Very much a Q car, but I still think it looks the business. More could have been done with the side profile. Loving the M wing mirrors.

The Sophistico Grey was a great colour – however given its shade, it showed scratches very easily and took a lot to maintain. Usually grey cars are low maintance but this seemed to be an exception.

Interior quality/impact:

The inclusion of the light up M badges in the seats and better interior trim offerings makes the car feel more special than its M performance counterpart. Everything is marginal, other than the seats. The Competition does rattle a lot more than the M performance, especially from the sunroof. In fact, I didn’t hear a single rattle on the M40d during ownership. The M gear lever looks very special and adds to the feel.

Seat comfort:

The merino leather is head and tales over the vernasca. My wife has a bad back and I thought she would hate the Competition seats, but she thinks they are way more comfortable than the M performance ones, so go figure! This is even after 3 hours stuck in the m1 near London yesterday! Adjustability is great. I think the seats feel a bit stiffer, but perhaps it’s the added support which worked for her.

Technology:

The M heads up display looks great, as does the m5’s digital dials. The 2018 x3 had the first generation of digital display – was pretty good but miles behind competition from audi and Mercedes.
An option that I ticked this time around was the driver assistance plus package. Very impressive in stop start traffic – makes it much more bearable. I also have the parking assistance plus this time – still trying to figure out how to use it. Not the most intuitive, think will take me some to figure out the different aspects (e.g. looks like you have to touch the screen to change aspect, rather than use the scroll wheel).

Ride comfort and handling

The x3 m40d wasn’t exactly the most comfortable on 21s and RFTs. It was stiff but good on the motorway. There was a larger degree of variation between each of the suspension settings. It handled very well for what it is, but only when you compare to the xm3c you notice the relative amount of body roll increased tendency to understeer (though still fractional).

On the x3mc ride comfort, for me, its fine. Perhaps on the upper edge of fine, but I can definitely live with it. The main issue two issues I would say are that the car rocks up and down (sway type motion) over sudden bumps or gradient changes at speed in Comfort mode. It is a bit unsettling, but once you get used to, you can anticipate. I think changing the adaptive setting to Sports suspension should resolve this. At lower speeds, the car tends to be a bit jittery/crashy over potholes and major imperfections. Regardless, I am ok with the way it rides. For me, it conveys a sense of purposefulness. I disagree with certain, not to be named online reviews, because the seriousness of the vehicle and performance on tap overshadows its firm ride.

The handling of x3mc is miles better than the m performance. It turns in immediately and feels extremely agile. It flows well through a series of bends, braking and acceleration and you can sense the rear driven bias. I found it very impressive. To be honest, it feel more remarkable than both the a45 and c63 I have recently had - but perhaps because I am aware it’s an SUV. The Michelins on the car seem to be less grippy in bad weather than the run flats bridgestones on the m40d, but to be honest I have not pushed the car hard around any bends. Steering input is extremely precise and I have to make more adjustments vs. the m40d on familiar 70mph B roads.

Engine, performance and exhaust

The x3mc is still being run in, so haven’t gone past 5k rpm. With that being said, I did have a crack on a demonstrator and boy was I impressed! It shifts and handles and feels like a purposeful mile devouring machine. Like everyone has said, very very easy to lose your license.

The m40d had around 325bhp and a huge amount of torque (more than the x3mc from memory). It was available from so low down, the car could sit in very high gears never having to drop down on the motorway to overtake.
I actually really liked the fake noise being pumped through the speakers in sport/sport plus mode, a bit silly really a synthetic v8 noise from a diesel! But added a bit of drama. My biggest issue was that, as is the case for most if not all diesels, above 4k RPM it just ran out of gas. There was no point in pushing the car as torque and BPH dropped off so early. This was the element that left me wanting more. Having said that, on a like for like basis, performance is apparently more or less equal to the x40i.
I comfortably got around 39MPG over 6.5k miles of driving, it was very efficient for the power.

The x3mc is a relatively quiet car, compared to usual 500bhp monster standards. I think part of the problem is that the cabin is well insulated, so you can’t here the idle etc well. I did open the windows up and listen to idle in efficient, sports and sports plus and it did make a big difference. I will wait to hear it at full chat later post run in. The engine sounds creamy when going through the rev range, though no doubt it will be synthetic to some degree. Averaged 24mpg over sensible driving this weekend.

Summary:

That itch of wanting more has been scratched. The x3m40d is an impressive, safe. practical motorway devouring frugal monster that is an example of fine diesel engineering. The x3mc is a serious machine which satisfies the primal urge of being thrilled and point to point handling, whilst still carting a load of luggage and the family in tow. It feels understated in a sophisticated way.
Appreciate 5
rjwojcik281.50
Max Well4713.00
M5 TT169.00
aliwtsn46.50
      12-09-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Great review and I agree with most of what you have said.

I'm 900 miles in and quickly approaching the run in service (booked next week). The running in process actually allows 5500rpm and 106mph, so don't be afraid to explore further!

The ride is always going to be contentious in this car. It's more the broken surfaces that let the car down rather than anything else. The noise the car makes on those surfaces is boomy and loud.

As for rattles I don't have any in my car from the sunroof so I might be lucky.

Exhaust noise - yep it's not great and the OPF's and 4 cat's really kill it for me. So frustrating. I've made the car sound better in Efficient by fixing the valves permanently open and I'm much preferring it. Also, you can disable ASD by coding if you get annoyed with it. A friend was outside my car as I started it up and drove off and he said it's a loud car and sounded great, so the acoustic glass does quieten things.

I just which there were some cracks, pops and burbles.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Thanks for the summary. In my family we have the x3m40d and x3m40i as well as my x3mc. I agree with many points you made with the 40d. I have been asked to compare them but I find it difficult because the x3mc is totally different in terms of engine, drivetrain, interior etc we have the M a proper M and this is special! To me even driving the x3m40i is not the same and that’s the way I like it
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdemon1 View Post
First post on this forum. Picked up my phytonic blue X3MC this weekend. I had a packed weekend of driving and managed to cover 400 miles across a variety of conditions. Very happy to report that the car is fabulous!

Summary:
That itch of wanting more has been scratched. The x3m40d is an impressive, safe. practical motorway devouring frugal monster that is an example of fine diesel engineering. The x3mc is a serious machine which satisfies the primal urge of being thrilled and point to point handling, whilst still carting a load of luggage and the family in tow. It feels understated in a sophisticated way.
Thanks for sharing your personal review, Shadowdemon1, and welcome to the Forum!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdemon1 View Post

Ride comfort and handling

The main issue two issues I would say are that the car rocks up and down (sway type motion) over sudden bumps or gradient changes at speed in Comfort mode. It is a bit unsettling, but once you get used to, you can anticipate. I think changing the adaptive setting to Sports suspension should resolve this.
Very good review.

The above is what I am finding.

As for tyre grip on the MPS4s. I did a bit of testing on my M5 with MPS4s on. link attached

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1462887
      12-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Nice write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
As for rattles I don't have any in my car from the sunroof so I might be lucky.
Yep, I don't either. I've done the fuse mod to turn off ASD so my car is even quieter inside, but no obvious rattles.

My only complaint is the ambient lighting on the front passenger door is a bit dimmer than the other three doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
Shadowdemon1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition, X2 20d xdrive

thanks for your responses and welcome messages all.

Will get the rattles sorted etc if there are indeed any - might just be my over sensitive/ OCD ears.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #8
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

nice write up - and welcome to another phytonic blue X3MC

I wonder if this is the least fave colour and why they are all the last to be collected. Certainly mines was the last in that the dealer had.
Appreciate 0