BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #1
gregtennis91
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

Picking car up tomorrow- Tire question

So pumped! Picking car up tomorrow, will update with pics. I know the winter tire discussion for the comp has been discussed many times.

Living in NYC, do I really need the snow tires? Not so sure, since it snows a few times a year and I won’t drive at that point anyway.
I don’t really want to buy wheels, so any guidance would be appreciated. In terms of tires, the only option seems to be the scorpions, which am interested to hear your experience. Crazy there isn’t a single all season option on tire rack.

Also, off-topic. Does anyone have pics of fine line matte with tartufo?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 01:38 AM   #2
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

People talk "snow" tires and immediately think of only snowfall. Winter tires are designed for use in 45 degree and colder temperatures. If the average daily temp is always 50 or higher, then an all season tire may work. But if it is cold then a proper winter tire is what you want to have. The rubber compound is designed to stay flexible and actually give grip. An all season tire turns into a hockey puck at the freezing temps. They are put on vehicles that could be sold in a desert area in Arizona. So they must be able to stand up to that. They are made for light snow to get you by for areas that really don't receive much of the white stuff. Think north Texas and not North Dakota. Also don't try to run a summer tire in winter and then complain when you crash your car. A factory or aftermarket wheel/tire package does make it easier to swap tire sets without having to wait for an appointment at a tire shop. You also save your expensive factory wheels from any chemicals put on the roadway in winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtennis91 View Post
So pumped! Picking car up tomorrow, will update with pics. I know the winter tire discussion for the comp has been discussed many times.

Living in NYC, do I really need the snow tires? Not so sure, since it snows a few times a year and I won't drive at that point anyway.
I don't really want to buy wheels, so any guidance would be appreciated. In terms of tires, the only option seems to be the scorpions, which am interested to hear your experience. Crazy there isn't a single all season option on tire rack.

Also, off-topic. Does anyone have pics of fine line matte with tartufo?
Buy an $80k car and then skimp on tires?

Don't be that guy.

The only connection between your car and the road is your tires. All that horsepower, all that mechanical "grip", all that acceleration, all that "feel". All that "ultimate driving machine"...100% dependent on having tires that are up to the task.

They are "winter" tires, not "snow" tires. Different compound, etc.

It's not a good driver or bad driver thing. If not for you, do it for your passengers and every other person you share the road with.

Scorpions are great.
Appreciate 1
JensM63.50
      12-12-2019, 05:20 AM   #4
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

New Yorker here as well. I picked up my car in mid November. One of the first things I did was pick up a set of wheels and tires for winter. If the car came with all seasons I would take my chances....but with high performance summer tires.... no bueno in freezing temps. I can’t take that chance with my family on the car. The summers will get rock solid..and like others have said, turn into a hockey puck.

Not a chance I was willing to take. I put the scorpions on and they seem to feel pretty ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
CaptSlow27
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

I bought 255/40/21 winter tires for all four corners. As others have said, winter tires are about temperature, not snow. Summer tires are noticeably slippery in 20 degree dry weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #6
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

New Yorker here too. As you are aware we have gotten snow, what, 3 times already? I have a feeling this will be a bad winter.

In the past few years winters have been very mild here with zero snow and unseasonably warm temps. I get the feeling that will not be the case this year.

I’m going with a separate wheel set but you could always just buy tires for the factory wheels.

My worst fear isn’t just cold, it’s those cold days when it rains.

Also, someone just posted a warning about the Contis getting damaged in the cold due to the special warm weather rubber compound.

If the X3M came with all seasons I would also chance it and not drive in snow but not on only a summer tire compound.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtennis91 View Post
So pumped! Picking car up tomorrow, will update with pics. I know the winter tire discussion for the comp has been discussed many times. Living in NYC, do I really need the snow tires? Not so sure, since it snows a few times a year and I won’t drive at that point anyway. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post
People talk "snow" tires and immediately think of only snowfall. Winter tires are designed for use in 45 degree and colder temperatures. If the average daily temp is always 50 or higher, then an all season tire may work. But if it is cold then a proper winter tire is what you want to have. The rubber compound is designed to stay flexible and actually give grip. An all season tire turns into a hockey puck at the freezing temps. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
Buy an $80k car and then skimp on tires? ...They are "winter" tires, not "snow" tires. Different compound, etc. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
New Yorker here as well. I picked up my car in mid November. One of the first things I did was pick up a set of wheels and tires for winter. If the car came with all seasons I would take my chances....but with high performance summer tires.... no bueno in freezing temps. I can’t take that chance with my family on the car. The summers will get rock solid..and like others have said, turn into a hockey puck. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSlow27 View Post
I bought 255/40/21 winter tires for all four corners. As others have said, winter tires are about temperature, not snow. Summer tires are noticeably slippery in 20 degree dry weather.
I'll preface by saying that if I lived up North I would definitely invest in winter tires. In North Florida we get some temps in the 20s but usually warms into at least the 40s by midday so we'll never need them down here.

No doubt if one has to keep their car outside and the temps go below 40 the tire compound will be at ambient temp and handling will be dangerous with Summer compound. But I've been curious if one houses their car in a warm garage then drives in cold dry ambient temps at speed, does the tire temp as measured by TPMS accurately reflect the rubber's response to the cold road/tire interface? Case in point was a 257 mile Interstate trip 2 years ago right after a cold front came through with plunging temps. The entire trip was sub 32 degrees, yet the internal temp via our tire monitor wasn't less than 66. Just wondering if that road/tire interface still lacks grip or is the internal tire temp of 66 translated through the wall to maintain elasticity?

Again - not making any argument to keep Summer tires for use in areas with cold Winter temps, just honestly curious about the Physics involved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #8
GmanJeff
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M, 2016 X5

All-season tires may make the most sense in your case, OP.

This is from the Bridgestone Tire Web site:

"SNOW TIRES VS. ALL SEASON TIRES: WHICH ARE BEST?
The solution to the winter or snow tires vs. all-season tires question will depend on where you live and the conditions in which you drive.

If you only see a few snow flurries each year and slick, icy roads are more of a fluke than an annual ordeal, all-season tires are probably the way to go. But if you know there’s a period when icy roads are always an issue, mounting winter tires isn’t an over-the-top precaution – it’s an essential safety measure that could save your life.

When mounting winter tires for the season, always install a full set. Just changing out the front tires increases the likelihood that the rear tires will skid. Likewise, just putting snow tires on the rear wheels could cause the front tires to lose traction and make it impossible to steer your vehicle.

And remember to re-mount those all-season tires when spring rolls around. While winter tires are undeniably superior in extreme winter conditions, they’ll wear down faster on warm, dry pavement."
Appreciate 0