BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X35D M Sport (F25)

Does F25 35D have swirl flaps? Fault error

Hi all,

So I've had my F25 35d for a few days, it's a 2011 model with 56k on the clock but has been stood intermittently for a few months since its previous owner passed away.

Upon the drive home (100 miles) it threw some codes on not being able to monitor tyre pressure and the ABS being switched off (presuming previous owner blew them up but didn't reset the comp).

Anyhow after clearing those it's throwing up a 'drive moderately message' intermittently. It only occurs when the car's been running for over about 30mins and then goes out 10mins later. Running Carly the major errors it's listing are:
  • Swirl flap plate: closed too far
  • Boost pressure: pressure too low
  • Gas pressure upstream of the turbine (moderate)
  • Swirl flap plate: to wide open (minor error)

It seems these issues are linked to the swirl flaps? But does the F25 engine (N57D30T1) have swirl flaps? I've removed them before on early 3.0.L D cars but thought the later engines didn't have them. Any insights appreciated. The engine runs quiet and smooth, so I'm hoping a minor issue due to lack of use/carbon build up.

Also is the EGR in the same place as the M57 engine (top front right) or lower? I'm wondering it removing it and maybe the intake for a clean may help the issue.

Last edited by Alchemisty; 08-05-2020 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

A lot of times a low battery situation can cause false codes to appear.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep

382vett that's v interesting and useful, as the auto stop/start function only started working yesterday as well and i had a start problem a few days ago. It was reading under 12V when stood and then 14.5 when running

Gonna swap it to be on the safe side
      08-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemisty View Post
Hi all,

So I've had my F25 35d for a few days, it's a 2011 model with 56k on the clock but has been stood intermittently for a few months since it's previous owner passed away.

Upon the drive home (100 miles) it threw some codes on not being able to monitor tyre pressure and the ABS being switched off (presuming previous owner blew them up but didn't reset the comp).

Anyhow after clearing those it's throwing up a 'drive moderately message' intermittently. It only occurs when the car's been running for over about 30mins and then goes out 10mins later. Running Carly the major errors it's listing are:
  • Swirl flap plate: closed too far
  • Boost pressure: pressure too low
  • Gas pressure upstream of the turbine (moderate)
  • Swirl flap plate: to wide open (minor error)

It seems these issues are linked to the swirl flaps? But does the F25 engine (N57D30T1) have swirl flaps? I've removed them before on early 3.0.L D cars but thought the later engines didn't have them. Any insights appreciated. The engine runs quiet and smooth, so I'm hoping a minor issue due to lack of use/carbon build up.

Also is the EGR in the same place as the M57 engine (top front right) or lower? I'm wondering it removing it and maybe the intake for a clean may help the issue.
I'm with 383vett on this one, especially since you said the car sat for a few months. Errors popping up and mysteriously disappearing, faults that would indicate engine issues yet the engine runs and sounds fine, etc are indicative of a battery that is borderline. By now, a 2011 model year should have had at least one battery change but since you aren't the original owner, you probably don't know how old your battery is. You could look at it, I know when I replace one, I write the date on it.

In any event, I would suggest you recharge it, they don't like sitting for long period and tend to degrade since the car is alway on in some minor state. Example: it still watches for someone to place their hands on the door handle (comfort mode) and is ready to lock/unlock when that is done and in order to do this, it uses battery power. That's just one example, so over time the battery degrades. Give it a good charge for a couple of days and see if your errors disappear and if not, you may need to replace the battery.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers Marty, gonna replace it anyway for piece of mind. About to take the car on holiday and will be kicking myself if this is the cause of a few gremlins that plague the journey. I intend on keeping the car, so would rather replace now as expect it will need swapping anyway during its ownership with me. Just ordered one, will pop it on and code it in and see what's what. I think the auto start/stop only just starting to function is a giveaway it could be low
      08-05-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemisty View Post
Cheers Marty, gonna replace it anyway for piece of mind. About to take the car on holiday and will be kicking myself if this is the cause of a few gremlins that plague the journey. I intend on keeping the car, so would rather replace now as expect it will need swapping anyway during its ownership with me. Just ordered one, will pop it on and code it in and see what's what. I think the auto start/stop only just starting to function is a giveaway it could be low
Right, good decision. I always keep mine on a battery tender when not driving it because we only use it for trips so it sits a lot in the garage, my wife calls it the garage queen :-) Anyway, the battery tender does a great job, my last X3 battery lasted seven years, just replaced it this past January and there were two batteries in an 840 I used to own, those lasted ...ready for this?..a whopping 14 years...unheard of!

Have a great holiday and lets hope your issues are simply the battery!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers Marty - best I've had is ten years so I'll bow to your 14 innings! Will rpt back if any issues. So pleased I joined this forum!